Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '48 CJ2A #204853, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'48 CJ2A #204853, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 8:02am
So, I got a few more things done this past weekend.

I soldered in a resistor to match the idiot light resistance on the wire to the alternator. The idiot light was rated at 3W, and drew 0.22A of current. I measured 9.98V voltage drop across the globe, which gives a 45 ohm resistance. 
To replace it I found a 47 ohm resistor rated at 5W and soldered it in. It draws 0.21 amps. Now my alternator works perfectly!
I used some heat shrink insulator over the resistor to neaten things up.

Next up, the horn was installed on the left fender. Now I can make meep-meep sounds at passing cars when they wave to me! I have found some aluminium P clamps so I started securing some of the wiring a bit as well.

I installed the spare tyre carrier. That 7.00-16 looks HUGE on there! But I'm also used to seeing nothing on there at all, so I guess I will get used to it after a while.

Finally, I had fun installing and testing the top bows which arrived from the States on Thursday. They fit well when set up, but I can't get them to fit nicely in the storage pockets. In fact I can't get them in at all. Yet another thing to start figuring out what is wrong and how to fix it... The positioning of the pockets on the body is correct as far as I can tell, but the size of the front pocket might be wrong. It was made for me here in SA and it could well be incorrect. I'm battling to find dimensions of the actual pocket itself to see what it should be.

Anyhow, here is a pic of the tyre carrier installed and the bows mocked up on the jeep.

1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:40pm
Top bows look good! If you decide that your top bow brackets aren't right let me know. I can send you some cut offs or give you the proper measurements......she sure is coming together !Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 8:53am
Thanks Dave, yes she sure is!

Yes, there was definitely something wrong with the top bows and/or pockets because the bows simply wouldn't fit in the pockets. Lots of things that could have been wrong, including positioning of the storage pockets on the jeep, size of the storage pockets, and the top bows themselves. I had initially ruled out the top bows as the source of the problem as I believed them to be originals.

Well, I had lots of help from jpet who sent me CAD files of the top bows, the jeep and the pockets. I could then make all the measurements I wanted to find out what was wrong. It turns out that the rear bows are 1.5" too long! They should sit level with the front bows when assembled, but clearly they don't in the picture above. I confirmed this by measuring in a number of different ways - direct height of the bows, height above the jeep rails when assembled, what it would take to get them to fit in the storage pockets etc. All measurements came to the same conclusion! Fortunately this problem can be solved by cutting 1.5" off the bottom of each rear upright.

Which vehicle they would originally have came off has everyone stumped for now.

I am trying to complete the assembly of the jeep as far as possible so that I can then disassemble one last time for final paint. It's easy to believe that you have all the parts you need until you actually come to assemble them and then find out you don't. Like this weekend when I discovered I don't have all the parts I need for the emergency brake Ouch. Yet another WTB has been posted, or failing that a purchase from Walcks....

athawk11 directed me to a US website where you can buy individual nuts and bolts, which means I can compile a list of all the strange thread screws with unusual heads etc that we can't get here in South Africa. Yes, you might pay 5c per piece for a #8-32 x 0.5" machine screw, but when all other places only sell them by the 100 and you only need 6, it's a bargain at 30c. It took a few hours but I have been through the entire parts list index under "screws" and cross correlated every single screw mentioned to where it is required on the jeep. I then determined if I had the screw, or needed the screw. I have now built up an order of all the odd size and small quantity screws I need, all with the correct head as specified. I was even able to order the spacers needed to install the side steps! This is a big step forward for me.

It's all progress - just frustrating how long it can all take!

Mike
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 2:26am
Great story. Love reading it and will continue to follow the thread. Enjoy and congratulations!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 8:33am
Originally posted by tufcj2a tufcj2a wrote:

Great story. Love reading it and will continue to follow the thread. Enjoy and congratulations!

Thanks Thomas.

It was a great jeeping weekend!

I installed my handbrake parts that came with the jeep. The current parts are not correct and I have the correct bracket/cable etc on order, but it can be made to work. The correct parts will slot right in when they arrive. 
I am amazed at how well the hand brake holds the jeep. I have been test driving around the neighbourhood up until now with no handbrake and I didn't expect much from it at all. But it really holds well on a slope and releases easily as well. I am very happily surprised!

I also worked on the drivers side step. Installing this and drilling the holes in the new tub floors is one of the last items remaining before I take my tub off for paint. But the step and the brackets were pretty beat up and dented. Nothing was straight. I decided to start from scratch and cut the brackets off the step. I then straightened up the brackets and the step. I then repositioned everything so that it fitted well, and drilled the new mounting holes as required. I finally tack welded the brackets back to the step. Once the final welds are neatened up it will look like new!

I also bought the correct hole saw and drilled the hole in the cowl for the vacuum line to the wiper motor. I have the grommet already and it fits well, so that is another thing done. Thumbs Up

I need to ID all the extra holes on this tub so that when it comes off for painting the extra holes can be closed up at that time. I'll be asking for help on the Q&A section of this forum in a little while.

I am rapidly approaching the time when I can strip the body down one last time and get some paint on this machine!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 2:16am
I don't know what kind of terrain you plan to drive over, but those steps hang down awfully low.  That's why most of them are bent all to heck and so few are still around.  Personally, I wouldn't have them.  They were optional anyway.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 8:46am
I can't argue with your preferences, but they are only going to hit if you are doing serious trails and offroading. For on pavement driving they should be fine. I am not sure yet what driving I am likely to do. The steps can be installed and removed in a few minutes each (I've done this a few times recently, believe me!) and as a rare optional extra I think they are cool. They also make you less likely to use the windshield as a handrail! I'll definitely be keeping them. 

If I am seriously worried about them hanging up during a drive, I'll remove them...

Edit to add: I haven't so far been worried about "how low they hang". They are roughly in line with the wheel hubs, which means that they sit at least above the springs on each corner and the bottom of the front and rear diffs. Not to say you can't bash them around, but they are not the lowest-hanging part of the vehicle....

Edited by JeepSaffer - 08 May 2018 at 12:42pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 2:28am
I have never used steps like that to get into a Jeep, so I am not able to say whether they're good for getting in or out.  However, they look to me like they would get in the way of your right foot if you step on the driver's side one with your left foot and try to pull your right foot in.  It also looks like it would be more likely that someone would grab the windshield frame to get in--to me, anyway. 

For me, I prefer to stand to the left of the door opening, facing forward, and fling my right leg up in then push off the ground with my left leg and jump up into the seat.  I don't know how I'll get in when my left leg can't push me up any more...  Unhappy

"Not to say you can't bash them around, but they are not the lowest-hanging part of the vehicle.... " 

All the mangled transmission crossmembers are proof of that.  LOL

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 09 May 2018 at 2:31am
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:29am
I have those steps on my 47 and they are a lot of help for my wife and I getting in and out of the jeep. Then again if I were 50 years younger I could get along without them quite easy.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
clausnam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clausnam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 5:55am
Hey Mike!
I haven’t followed your build for a while sorry,
Great to see how far you have progressed and very impressive work.
You can pat yourself on the shoulder!
Claus
1944 MB #341219
1946 VEC #22141
1948 CJ2a #194573
1947 Bantam T3-C #15457
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 12:17pm
Hey Mike, I wish I had the original steps that came on my 48, I would run them for sure.....just do like you said and make for easy removal. In the first pics I posted under jeep photos & stories you can see the steps still intact 7-10 yrs later.(of course this is mostly farm and road driving) Like Ol unreliable said though, it doesn't take much of a hump on the trail for them to hit. Also Like Wee Willy said you'll score points with the wife and kids. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 3:55am
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

Then again if I were 50 years younger I could get along without them quite easy.

If I were 50 years younger, I would not be old enough to drive for another year.  That reminds me, I need to sign up for Medicare before September...  Ouch
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 12:31pm
Now that you bring that up, if I were 50 years younger...
I'd be abusing the same Jeep I want to get running now.

Wow!
1946 CJ2A 14098

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 3:40pm
So tomorrow is an exciting day for me. I've been building and restoring this Jeep for over 3 years now, and it is finally time for paint! I recognise my limitations both in time and skills, and have decided to get someone else to do it. He is coming tomorrow to take a look and discuss the details. Thereafter it will probably take me a weekend or two to strip the body and tub into the loose pieces which I will hand over to him, and he might take 4 - 6 weeks to sand, straighten, neaten, prime and paint. I have no problem with that..... it's a second job for him on the weekends, and I have other things to take care of and rebuild in the interim. My new engine being one of them!

So once this vehicle is stripped and handed over, the next time I see it will be freshly decked out in Normandy Blue... I can't wait! It feels like the end is in sight!
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 12:40am
I'm almost as excited as you are to see it painted. I have followed this thread for some time with anticipation. Good for you!!!!
Phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:22am
So I met with the spray painter on Saturday morning. He's a super nice guy, and happy to take on the work. I'm just waiting on a quote, and then I need to strip the body and hand it over! Exciting stuff...

I also stripped, cleaned and lubed up my 634-1 Trico vacuum wiper motor. It had tons of old hard grease clogging up the wiper. Cleaned up, new gaskets, new grease and a new spring on the rocker.... and it works great! I hooked it up to the inlet manifold and it works just like it should... slowly on an accelerating engine and quickly on an idle LOL I will take it apart one more time for paint, but it was very satisfying to return one more non-working part back to good working order!
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 10:53pm
JS, do you have a source for those Trico parts or did you just make your own?  Just curious ... have enjoyed following your build!
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 8:36am
Mark, I found some NOS Trico vacuum wiper rebuild kits on EBay. This was some time back. I just looked now and couldn't find them. They seem to pop up from time to time. It's obviously important to find the correct kit, because it would seem Trico made tons of different wiper models for different cars.

This is what's in the kit:

At the top left are rivets and washers for taking apart the wiper blade and reattaching it to the wiper shaft. My wiper blade was in good condition so I just cleaned it up and didn't mess with the rivets. 
The brass valves just slip into the valve guides. The guides are threaded so would seem to thread directly into the motor body. But there is no easy way to get the old guides out - nothing to grab onto. I imagine a small easi-out might work, or possibly a pair of needle nose pliers. But both of these would probably destroy or damage the guide. So once you start you are committed! I left mine in and just cleaned up the existing valves and put it back together to see if it would work. All worked well after cleaning, so I ended up not messing with replacing the guides or valves. 

So in the end all I used from the kit was the new spring, the new felt washers, and the new gaskets. The rest I'll save for a later rebuild Wink The gaskets could be made by hand but they are very intricate, and would be hard to cut. I've also seen them sold on EBay, but they are kinda pricey, like $20 for a set, if I remember correctly. I would scan and send you a template from mine if you like, but it's really the cutting that is the tricky part.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>