Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '48 CJ2A #204853, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'48 CJ2A #204853, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 3:59pm
Similar to what I did on an old V6 many years ago. I would go out on a cold winter morning, fire it up and blow the oil filter. I talked to a Jeep guru and he told me to pull the plunger out of the oil pump housing and put a small groove in the side of it to allow a way for the oil to escape from behind it.
uncamonkey
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 1:51pm
Time is short - both for jeep work and for this post. So I will keep it brief and try to do it with photos...

I got my spare block back from the machine shop. Cleaned, shot blasted, resleeved back to original bore, crank ground (bearings and rods), hardened valve seats put in, all broken studs removed, 3 x helicoils inserted, block decked, head skimmed.... what else?

This is what I started with...

This is where I am at now...

Crank is in and bearing clearances checked with plastigauge. Happily all check out within spec. I still need to check the rods though...

On other fronts, my home-made seat covers are progressing well...

I'm planning on making zip-on pouches to hang down the front of the seat. Just somewhere to put wallet and cellphone and house keys, seeing as the Willys designers were a bit stingy with personal storage on these vehicles! I also hope to make bigger pouches to attach to the back of the seats too... more on that as the concept evolves...

And finally, photos from the guy doing my painting. Progress is slow, but at least there is progress!

Thanks for checking in! Lots of work still to do on the engine and upholstery, and pretty soon I'll be getting the bodywork back from painting to start the final assembly. Exciting stuff!

Mike
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2018 at 4:25am
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

I'm planning on making zip-on pouches to hang down the front of the seat.

That's an excellent idea!

That block looks fantastic, too!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
keithzim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithzim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2018 at 9:39am
Good Morning
Just read your progress with the jeep. Well done glad you are doing the job properly.
I live just up the road from you and have a cj2a that I went through the same process as you but about 15 years ago.
How do you get on for spares now ? Are there more spares available in south Africa now?
There are a few things I need to purchase and at the moment a lot of the spares I need are not eligible for transfer to Zimbabwe because of sanctions ( can you believe it !) and also forex.
If you come this way drop me a line and maybe we can meet
Keith Humphrey
Harare Zimbabwe
kaydeehumphrey@gmail.com
kdh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2018 at 10:24am
Hey Keith,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I know how you feel. Parts availability, and the time and patience to hunt them down, are one of the key challenges to owning one of these vehicles outside of the USA. Doubly so, for you in Zim!

What parts are you particularly in need of? I find that parts are generally available for import, but shipping and import duties are a killer. Of course foreign exchange availability on your side might mean that parts may not be readily purchased, even if imported... I thought that sanctions had all been lifted, except for key individuals in government???

Are there many CJ2A's knocking around in Zim?

Cheers,

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 10:29am
Lots of good progress to report! Exciting stuff...

My painter is making good progress and has sent the first pics of Normandy Blue! This is super exciting for me... the first time the final colour has hit this body! Here is the underside of the hood.

The colour looks quite different without the camera flash...

I'm happy regardless - seeing Normandy Blue on this jeep for the first time is a big step forward!

I've also got the home made seat covers back from my friend who helped me make them. I think they look awesome for a home made effort with no pattern.

I still need to find the screw grommets to secure the rear cushion flap to frame, but i'm on it. Hopefully I will find somewhere local today at lunchtime and pic up a handful. The zippers will allow removal of the covers for washing if required. Here is the zipper at the front where I plan to have storage pouches made for wallet, keys, cellphone etc.

I don't have my jeep assembled to make the depth measurement, but this can be made up and easily zipped on later. 

My friend wanted to reinforce the canvas around the attaching holes through the wooden seat pan, and all she had in grey leather was elephant... no kidding! So the grommets are all made from elephant leather - I bet this is the only jeep in the world with elephant leather trim on the seat canvas LOL

The engine block is finally painted, so I don't have to worry about the block rusting in our humid summers.

Head too....

Man this project is hitting an exciting phase! Not long now before the final re-assembly beings.

Thanks for checking in. More progress as it happens!

Mike
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 12:12pm
Wow nice, well done Mike.Keep your progress and pictures coming.

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 12:41pm
Threads like this keep me motivated for "someday" Tongue  Nice work!  Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 1:59pm
Very nice   

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Threads like this keep me motivated for "someday" Tongue  Nice work!  Thumbs Up

...and comments like this keep ME motivated!

Thank you for the kind words.
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 4:07pm
Hey Mike,
Remember the words below that you wrote...

Originally posted by jeepsaffer jeepsaffer wrote:

] Well done, you deserve to be a happy man! Your project looks great, and you have put in the hard yards over many years! WELL DONE!!! Handshake
 I am making steady progress on my project, but it is still only a dream to get to where you are now.
 Enjoy it!"

Remember those kind words you wrote, well you are there NOW and your project looks great and its not a dream and you have put in the hard yards. Can't wait to see your jeep in full paint driving down the road with a big grin on your face
Phil

mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 10:59pm
Wow wow wow...

That is going to crazy nice when you get it done....museum quality stuff right there...

congrats on the progress

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 9:09am
Mike, its all looking fantastic.....I have been hiding for most of the year but thought its about time I popped back onto the page.

Keep up the great work, got 4000 miles on mine now and everyone of them has been fun.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 1:57pm
Hey Adrian, was wondering where you had disappeared to! Good to see you back, and thanks for stopping by!

Yes, I am really looking forward to driving and using this jeep when it is finished. I still have some work to do in reassembly, but I kinda feel like I am on the home stretch now...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 2:19pm
I had enough screws for the seats, but only 4 cup washers that I found in an ice cream tub of small bits and pieces that came with the jeep. So, off to find new cup washers. Of course I couldn't find the same ones, slightly different! The new ones I found now didn't match the screws I had.  So new screws to match the new cup washers....
As always, it takes a while and some patience to get there, but I like the final result.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2018 at 12:56pm
More progress on the painting!

Here is the grill... looking pretty nice in my opinion!

I'm getting excited for the final product! The tub still has some ways to go (that's the cowl that the grill is resting on).

The painter says that he is finished with the windshield inner and outer frame and the grill, which means that if I pick those up I can get glass for the inner frame and assemble everything together, and get the headlight buckets in and start on the grill welting. Would it throw the grill welt pliers program out completely if they made a trip to South Africa? LOL

Not long to wait now for the fenders and tailgate and body. I really hope I can start the reassembly in the December holidays.

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2018 at 2:01pm
Looks great in my opinion! Clap
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2018 at 2:10pm
My opinion as well Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>