Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

48 CJ2A Almost done

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 48 CJ2A Almost done
    Posted: 11 Jan. 2022 at 6:44am
This jeep followed me home. Bought it from a member here, nice jeep just needs a few tweaks to be ready for the trails.

end

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2022 at 8:33am
That'll be a fun jeep! Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
stevez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2022 at 9:26am
I know its not OEM, but there is something about old jeeps and small blocks
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2022 at 10:02am
Doesn't look to be a hack job and one can tell money was spent in places wisely....PowerGen, Tom Woods, etc. Approve
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2022 at 10:28am
That Go Devil doesn't look right. Maybe the crazy paint color. Tongue
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2022 at 5:15pm
You nailed it Stan! It reminds me of an orange!  I got the receipts for the drivetrain goodies from Herm- overdrive, rebuilt SM420, rebuilt D18 with 3:15 gears. 283 engine has the 2bbl does not smoke on startup or run. Working on swapping out the clutch to a hyd setup for better manners. It has bronco stock rims with 700-15 new tires,  came with 4 of Brennans disc swap brackets so I will be doing that soon to let the 9 inch move to someone else. 

Fatboy loves the seat covers just not the thickness of the back and seat,  just need to do a wheel house notch I guess. 

Edited by jeeper50 - 11 Jan. 2022 at 5:19pm

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2022 at 5:34pm
the 2A has a electric fuel pump of which I am not a fan, guess I need to see if the push rod is still in the block, before I buy a stock fuel pump, and check clearances at the front axle housing. Ordered an AA clutch slave mounting bracket. 
Got it registered today and went out for a drive, runs great! idles fair. I'm going to have to figure out where the gas pedal likes to be so I can have my foot on the floor. I'm used to the roominess of my 3B and lack of horsepower so this new one will be a learning curve.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2022 at 6:51pm
Interesting steering set up, would like to know more about it.

Nice Jeep!
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2022 at 6:37pm
It's a Ross that was moved over to the opposite side of the frame, using a homemade bracket and a couple of ujoints and an upper dash standoff to support the upper column. Seems to be a good choice for the 283 rams horn ex manifold with the genny mount cast on to the manifold. after a 20 mile test drive yesterday it worked fine, no excessive play. 

Edited by jeeper50 - 14 Feb. 2022 at 11:12am

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2022 at 8:06pm
Yesterday I began looking my throttle linkage over to see what I could do to help that out.  I removed the pedal from the linkage for a fix and checked the cable, it had maybe 5 strands holding the eyelet on it and I probably dodged a stranding by finding that.   I  located some replacement 1/16" cable and cable swages and replaced the damaged cable. I mounted my extra jeep gas pedal to the floor after removing the linkage rod off of it so it will rest on the linkage that was installed. 
 With a snowmagedon in the forecast this weekend down here in the Atlanta area, I figured I needed the jeep running to be able to get around.  Brown Santa brought the clutch slave mounting bracket, ordered some of the parts for the disc brake swap, at least for the front axle.
Removed the spacer on the upper steering column mount to see if it would increase the clearance for the belly to wheel situation. It did help and no issues with steering play, etc. I'll move onto the fuel pump later.  Dang forgot to order the master cylinder for clutch pedal while placing my order with rockauto. 

Added pic to show gas pedal now

Edited by jeeper50 - 14 Feb. 2022 at 8:33am

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2022 at 11:20am
UPdate; I began researching the hyd clutch linkage swap from the mechanical setup. Already has swing pedals from a late 50s vintage chevy truck, and the 283 and trans. Checked out AA for the slave mounting bracket they have that is used on early CJs and toyota LCs when a chevy is stuffed into the LC. Bought it and began installation in the 2A. had to buy a landcruiser slave cyl for my conversion found both at NAPA. Bought a clutch MC from a 82 CJ7 will begin locating and drilling a hole for it to mount in. Sourced the clips for attaching the master cyl rod to the swing pedal. And removed all the mechanical linkages for the clutch this past weekend. Jeep currently has a very early 60s brake MC with a single outlet on the swing pedal. I am upgrading that to a Mustang MC with dual outlets for the disc mod coming in the near future, bought the rotors and calipers for a Brennan Disc mod for the front axle.  Then the rear axle discs later this spring or summer.  

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2022 at 8:06pm
One step forward, two steps back!!

Made a firewall doubler out of 1/8 plate steel and picked up the holes from the pedal hanger bracket to locate it and made a template of carboard to layout the new Brake MC and laid out the holes for the clutch MC. Drilled up the doubler and painted it all up. Today I bolted it all in and bent up a new line for the clutch MC to slave. Turns out the swing pedals that were installed (by the PO) must have been for a mechanical clutch linkage truck or car.  I gravity bled the clutch system. And gave it a good ol slow push without standing on my head to be able see all the pieces of the puzzle come together.  Turns out the clutch pedal attach point swings in more of an arc than linear due to the location of the attach point so... the pushrod is now gently bent into a slight U from being pushed up against the side of the MC. 
 So time for the swing pedals to come out to be able to drill thru the clutch pedal after removing the original linkage attach point.  Oh well just another willys learning curve challenge eh? Grab another beer!

Added pics bent the push rod!  Also shows the location of the Ross moved over for exhaust clearance too

Edited by jeeper50 - 14 Feb. 2022 at 8:38am

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2022 at 8:44am
Removed the swing pedals to rework them, so the original attach pedal point is moved to be more user friendly to the push rod. orig attach point marked by red scraper. floor pics show holes for the mechanical linkage being removed for a hyd setup.

Edited by jeeper50 - 05 Mar. 2022 at 7:44pm

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2022 at 8:46am
rest of the pics

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2022 at 7:42pm
Put pencil to paper for a crawl ratio calculation,  SM420 7:1,  dana 18 with tera low gearset 3.15, stock 5.38 gear ratio. If I did the calculation correctly it comes to 118 to 1. 

Spent the day working in the garage on a sunny spring day. Did the final adjustments on the hyd clutch linkage, installed a new speedo cable and took it out for a short drive around my area with zero brakes. backed it into the garage for room to remove the front wheels for the next mod. Clutch works great!  Ordered the last parts (hoses) for the calipers with the Brennan's disc brake swap for the front axle project. Later this summer I'll install them on the rear too. 

Edited by jeeper50 - 06 Mar. 2022 at 4:42pm

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2022 at 7:53am
This past weekend I began mocking up my Brennan's disc brake mod. I removed the old hubs with drums, brake lines as required. Also removed the hoses and hose guards for new hose clearance issues. 
removed both spindles to see which axles it came with.  Rt side has a Bendix and Lt side has a Spicer type axle.  Temp installed spindles to fit the Bracket to hold the caliper and get it clocked correctly. Loosely bolted up caliper, while waiting for bolt kit from Brennan's garage and longer wheel studs from FLAPS, I used the dorman 610-034 studs. they will be long enough for the rotor and the thick Jackman rims that will be going on this jeep. Still need to replace the axle to frame flex hose and replace the axle brake lines. Still need to ream the lug stud holes in the rotors a bit so they slide on. 

Let me say it was very hard hanging on to get these crappy shots of the progress.  But it will be nice with the disc brake setup!  Thanks metcalf!!

No more pics

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2022 at 5:56am
Continued mocking up the Brennans disc swap. set it up with my 16 rim, no grinding required, then swapped over to a 15" bronco rim no rubbing either. no pics today 

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 5:43pm
I finished up installing the brennans discs on the dana 41,  the first set of rotors I drilled up the stud holes and caused them to ride eccentrically causing them to hit the spacers for the calipers. Turns out the chamfer on the back of the rotors keep them from centering on the short stock hub shoulder on the D41.  The front axle didn't have that problem. The new rotors I bought, fit the lug studs fine with just a light rap on them with a dead blow hammer. Problem solved they work great, put probably 150 miles around town. Next project is swapping the steering tie rods over to a one piece setup, waiting on a jeepster tie rod to start the process, Waiting on KW to ship mine when it comes in. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>