Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'48 willys please help ID

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willysman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '48 willys please help ID
    Posted: 16 Feb. 2013 at 2:56am
looking at this jeep tomorrow, and have some questions. first the windshield appears to be a early cj5 type, 2nd the grill looks like a early mid 40's cj2, or military type and the hood still has me guessing. can anyone help id this jeep??

Edited by willysman1 - 16 Feb. 2013 at 2:59am
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2013 at 3:12am
Jeep salad. The park lights look wrong for an mb. Hood was bent to fit the grill. Windshield welded to hold back better. Glove box isn't 2a looks more bubba. Engine is very wrong. Looks like an mb grill but those park lights look like he fit something in there the originals would be recessed. Look for a data plate but unless its an Agro jeep or something really rare 2k seems high to me. Just off all its missing , wrong engine, bubbaed up dash, looks like some possible bubba on the tranny hump. Guessing frame is too.
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2013 at 3:14am
Lots of bondo on the back check for a tool indent possible mb or gpw but its pretty far gone and check if its got a solid rear because of welding and bondo or if it was factory.
46 2a
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2013 at 3:19am
Not an MB grill, you can see the scer holes in the face for the headlite buckets, park lites are aftermarket farm ins

MHO,Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2013 at 3:25am
WOW, must have been the class project at Bubba University, lots of modifications, and nothing wrong with that but not for me.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
willysman1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willysman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2013 at 3:31am

i will post more tomorrow after i see it in person. i have been looking for a good project jeep for my daughter and i.. this one is local and if i can get it at a good price we can make it our own . i am very curious as to how they modded the windshield.

Macgraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macgraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2013 at 3:36am
Very Scary!!!!
groundhawg
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2013 at 3:42am
Lee count the amount of steel bars in the grill isn't it the wrong number for a standard 2a grill? 2a is 7 I count 9 on this one does that make it an m38? Or early. 2a
46 2a
BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2013 at 4:07am
looks like a modified mb/gpw grill.  
1952 m38
BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2013 at 4:08am
also looks to be a fiberglass tub
1952 m38
Macgraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macgraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2013 at 4:16am
My opinion. You can find a much better Jeep for that money.
groundhawg
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2013 at 4:40am
Looks to me to be a postal Jeep tub cut down, modified, placed on CJ3A/B frame.

Not a good jeep to start with. 
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2013 at 4:45am
Originally posted by BillF BillF wrote:

also looks to be a fiberglass tub

mmmm...not entirely fiberglass... look at the metal spots center rear..I think that is a sculpted tub with almost as much plastic in it as a fiberglass tub.

Crazy amount of bondo and modified sheetmetal. Someone was doing wayyyy too many drugs when they thought up that one.

Agreed, price is way off. I should sell ya my 3B project. It needs a tub and engine too but it is approximately $2000 cheaper.  
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2013 at 10:48am
I agree on the SALAD Jeep description. Good for a rock climber, but forget about period correct resto. This one has no period to belong to.
willysman1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willysman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2013 at 2:16am
so i went and looked at it, the whole front end minus the grill was hand crafted. all the sheet metal is twice as thick as stock. the tub was also made from the same heavy metal, the rear tailgate section was a afterthought buy someone other than who did the body. this jeep body is serously heavy duty. the windshield and cowl section was taken from a early cj5 and molded to fit the body the guy made. all in all who ever build it did a really good job. yeah its a project needing alot of work, and year it will never be peroid correct, but its original.
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2013 at 3:56am
Sounds like you have something to build into a rock crawler / off road rig more then restore. Now it just depends on what you want to do with it
46 2a
Jared1956 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2013 at 4:44pm
There is not a part on that Jeep that has not been customized.  Looks like a Buick V6....My guess is this was a really neat Jeep back in the early to mid 1970's. 

Finding parts for things like this are hard...what year is the engine?  What did it come out of?  Same goes for the transmission, transfer case, axles, etc.  I love customized stuff, but only if know what the parts came out of so when I need a ____________, I don't have to count teeth, measure, take photos, bring to the parts store with me, only to find out it was custom hand fabricated from an airplane part!!! Shocked ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

This is a nightmare and a money pit that would be worthless no matter how much money you put in it.  Again, I love modified vehicles, but I would never buy one already done.

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2013 at 10:11pm
The engine (entire under hood) is all wrong. What is it?
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>