Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

48CJ2a starting point

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 1:17am
   Had an aha moment the other day going thru spare parts, found this tag off the replacement tub purchased from a junk yard for 25$ 1/2 century ago. Been running around with a 3a tub all this time and didn't realize it. I have a tweener(thanks Hawk for the term), late 48 frame, only noticed a few minor discrepencies. The other pics are of fender repair(original)...Cut out rust spots using .035 cut-off wheel, using cut out piece as a pattern tried to get tight fit-up on butt joints, tacked using 1/16 tungsten, 1/16 weld rod. One pic shows the penetration side, welded from opposite side. On an unrelated question if anyone's reading this is there a gasket between the headlite bucket and the grill? Thanks Joe Wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2017 at 3:44am
Hey Bud you will be going for a rip soon the way you are getting that jeep up to speed
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 2:55am
   Been awhile since posting any progress(long winter in MI.) Since last post was able to get the body bolted down, fenders temp installed to tack the new braces in, and wiring pretty much done, gauges installed not sure what to due about the gas gauge(12v system now). Went with the 50yr old stile directional lights up front(holes already drilled) Next up is gas tank, Harrison heater, horn install. Slowly my parts pile gets smaller and smaller. Joe Wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 4:23am
Lookin' good.  

Keep the faith.  Good weather will find you Northern guys soon enough.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 12:13pm
Thanks Hawk, I've learned a lot from reading your posts from the past, I think you should make the term "tweener" some how official terminology Joe W
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 2:17pm
Coming along nicely
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 3:16pm
I've been using this to run all my 6 volt gauges on my 12 volt upgraded Dodge.  Expensive option for what it does but clean and supposedly better than a resistor:  http://www.ronfrancis.com/products.asp?dept=20

I've use this on my Jeepster.  Much less expensive and sophisticated: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-40027

Amazon can eBay have a host of options available.

wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2018 at 1:58am
tufc2a, thanks for the great tip I'll be checking that out. Spinnas thanks for the positive post, by the way I'd be thrilled to have the jeep body you have you should see some of the "proof rusted" jeeps in MI. Joe W
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 7:16pm
    Hot Diggity Dog fired up the 48 (without much pain). In the short time I let it run, I was able to set the diz, verify good oil pressure, cam timed right(thanks for the help CO. guys and others on this site) for timing help, must be right. big relief Had to remove new gas filter(that and gas line leaked), 5' 1/4in brake line from NAPA did the trick for the fuel line, Also it matters which side of the solenoid you hook to the starter and which to the bat. I'm a happy camper! Joe W
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

...Hot Diggity Dog fired up the 48 (without much pain).... I'm a happy camper! Joe W

Congrats Thumbs Up 

"without much pain" sounds completely opposite of my recent startup LOL  (I'm guessing the 48 knows there is a 46 waiting in the wings Wink )
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 2:53pm
   Wanted to say the 48 was purring like a kitten in a creamery but it's not idles good, revs up good plenty of power but an occasional miss, vacuum test 17-20 in/lbs slight flutter on the needle. I'll try new condenser, plugs and wires ect, before I get to excited. Joe W
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 9:27pm
After 6 weeks of body work(Fixing the fenders, windshield and body) it still looks like crap, but at least it's solid, Determined to not spend another summer working on the jeep I kinda rushed the paint job and body work(didn't realize enamel paint took so long to dry . At least it's starting to look like a jeep again, I guess the floor repair with hat channel isn't as bad as I first thought(notice I'm bringing back wrinkle wall paint on the floor, not buy design) The running lights( one installed) I thought fit like it belonged there. Still tossing around names can't keep calling it "the jeep". If it was native American I think I'd call it "Jeep of many Flaws. Joe W
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 7:43am
The proper name will come in its time.  They always do.  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 1:05am
"On the road again, I can't wait to get on the road again"(Willie N) Got a Historical plate on the jeep yesterday $30 for 10 yrs, been test driving since, Engine running good(Purring like a kitten in a creamer again! not without some carb adjustment, 40psi oil pressure, hottest water temp 190, steering 100% better, brakes work good(for stock), E- brake really holds great. When I first hit the pavement had a loud howling noise coming from the rear(the only thing I didn't go thru was the rear end) Over-excited started to eye the 46 to borrow the diff. today noticed the PTO gear was leaking slightly(only happens when running) Long story short the rear PTO was not dis-engaging, apparently I had the shift lever reversed didn't know it mattered Road noise gone, a happy camper again, now for the finishing touches Joe W
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 4:07am
Progress!  YAY!!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 4:29am
Thanks OL'Unreliable, Bye the way been saving a "Knights of Columbus" sticker for ya Joe W
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 5:54am
Looks great.  Congratulations!
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 5:53pm
Lookin' really good, Joe!
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>