Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

48CJ2a starting point

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48-17Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2018 at 3:27pm
Hello everyone

So I got the ‘48 down to St.Louis finally and was enjoying a nice 65 degree day and decided to take it for a spin. During the ride I noticed the brakes got very tight. By the time I had turned around and started back home they completely gave out. Pedal went to the floor and had to use the emergency brake to stop from running a stop sign. I was hoping that you guys could help me come up with a plan of action. Where I should start and so on. This is going to be the first jeep project without my dads advice and I want to make sure I get it right! 
Thanks in advance 
Cory
Cory
2017 Willys JKU
1948 CJ-2A #208783
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2018 at 8:07pm
I have enjoyed this thread.

Nice welding on that body to patch it together. If I remember correctly, I think I was using .030 wire in my Mig welder to weld-up the patch panels that I had installed into the '46 Willys I restored in 1984. It can be done with an oxy / acyt torch but with a small tip of "O" or maybe "00" to prevent distortion of the metal panels.

Nice work, and way to hang-in-there to completion.

Cory, I am sorry to hear of the passing of your Father. My wife says I have my dad's traits, and I am not so sure that is a good thing, but he is very crafty with making home repairs.
   With your brakes, I would automatically replace the master cylinder if you don't know the history of when it was last replaced. Then pull the brake drums to inspect the shoes, springs and wheel-cylinders. Wheel cylinders are cheap, and if you expect they have been on the willys for more that 8-years, I would suggest ordering 4-new ones. the lining on the shoes can be cleaned with Acetone and Emery-Cloth. Springs can be re-used if not severely pitted and rusty. They break where there is damage.

The guys on this site who work on this stuff all the time can point you to a good Thread for the brake work is my guess.

Oh, back to this build-thread, if one of you young guys doesn't have a 110 volt mig welder, but only a stick machine, use 1/16" rod. take the rod and cut it in half with your dikes, and hold the rod like a writing pencil, and weld-away accurately, doing little stitch-welds (short-passes) allowing the metal to cool after each stitch. When I was in my 20's, back in early '70, my neighbor was an auto-body man, and he showed me this trick.
    In a worst-case scenario: if you don't have an electric welder, then all you have to do is Jumper 2- 12volt batteries together in series, and you can weld with the 1/16" rod like a dream.

Back in my-day (prime), i ran the Rubicon solo with the wife and 3-kids. I always carried a spare battery in a plastic boat-box, not for a spare starting battery, but to do my own on-trail welding if needed. (i used it on Toyota's).

That is my rainy-day B.S. sharing for the day. :)   happy trails

Len
48-17Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48-17Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2018 at 3:19am
Just thought I would post an update. I bled the brakes on all four tires with no luck on getting the brakes to respond. So I worked through the next step which was the Master Cylinder. I researched it like it was brain surgery because I wanted to get this right. There is no easy way to get at the Master Cylinder. It’s not real complicated but man o man was it a pain in the AAngryAngry to get at. I order a new piece and decided to replace a couple other pieces that were very best up and with as hard as it was to get at I didn’t want to have to do it again. Got the new one installed and after some tweaking and bloody knuckles got it all installed. Happy to report that it worked perfectly! Thanks for the messages on what to do! 
Cory
2017 Willys JKU
1948 CJ-2A #208783
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2018 at 1:43am
   Cory,
   Glad to hear about the brakes.

I had rebuilt my first 2A back in 1985 about, and refurbed the brakes which I thought worked very well when completed. I purposely removed the parking brake for the Rubicon travels. The drum for the E-brake is not protected, and when slipping down off of a rock, it can Slam the drum fiercely.

When I pass, I hope one of my 3-kids wants my '46 Willys.
They are in their early 30's now, but 20-years ago we'd camp for 3-days at Buck-island reservoir on the Rubicon, and they would snorkel around the lake endlessly. Those were some great summer-dayz.

That Willys will last you for many wonderful years.
   Ha, after welding as a hobbyist my entire life, I still feel like a beginner.
   My son, 30yo drives a Tundra (@ 10mpg). I reminded him the other day, that is what I got in my 4x's back in the '70's.   chuckle, same today. big tires !
   ( I bought me a '46 2A in December 2017 which I haven't driven yet ).

Happy Holidays to you and family !

Len
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2019 at 3:34am
so sorry to hear about joe passing away, stay strong keep him in your heart , he will be with you whenever you go for a drive in the jeep
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234