Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

49'ish CJ2A- "Motorboat"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2020 at 3:33pm
I’ve liked this Mototboat project  from the start, mostly due to it’s uniqueness and your decision to keep it that way. 
That picture of your girls doubles down on how much I like it. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 4:12am
Have a learning curve I'm hoping someone can help me with. So today I went to fire Motorboat as it hadn't been running since Febuary, nor since I installed the new JMP Carter W/O. I had no spark when I started playing with it, so I decided to run a wire directly from the coil to the positive of the battery; and viola- It fired up on the first pull with zero choke (shocked me too). I guess the carb was fine tuned from the factory Thumbs Up

I bled the brakes yesterday, so I decided to take it off the skids and take it down the street for my intial run on this rig. The engine badly needs to be timed and the valves adjusted, but it moved under its own power for the first time since I've owned it. So that is small progress. 

Here is the kicker- The steering was so stiff, even in motion it took two hands and considerable muscle to get the rig to steer; and the steering had zero return. So it was muscle the steering wheel left to make a left turn, and muscle it the opposite way just to get the steering wheel back to center. 

Following its initial jaunt and noticing this issue, I went back and greased up every zerk I could find. It made a almost unnoticable difference so now I'm scratching my head. Granted I just installed the NOS GPW steering shaft, and when I installed it I filled up the steering box with lub and everything (as far as the Ross is concerned) was moving just fine. Confused 
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 10:37pm
Dean,
The first thing I wonder about is how tight is the adjuster on the steering box cover?  Too tight and the steering is difficult. 

I'd raise the front off the ground and adjust so that there's no binding.  If adjusted but no change, then you could go one component at a time and disconnect to see where the binding is.  Did you mention somewhere what type of lubricant you used in the steering box?

The connecting rod (drag link) could also be too tight.  Wheels should have 12lbs - 16lbs of resistance w/o seals.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 3:55am
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

Dean,
The first thing I wonder about is how tight is the adjuster on the steering box cover?

I'm embarassed to say I overlooked the obvious, and this worked like a charm. Thanks Rus! Thumbs Up
Dean
67 CJ5 (Sold)
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 12:01am
I updated my profile with our new location as we are moving for work (Took a promotion). Does anyone know of a good engine rebuilder in North Florida/ South Georgia?

Edited by IRQVET - 24 July 2020 at 12:05am
Dean
67 CJ5 (Sold)
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 1:59am
WHAT YOU MOVED FROM THE GREAT STATE OF OREGON. 
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 2:03am
Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

WHAT YOU MOVED FROM THE GREAT STATE OF OREGON. 

Yeah, took a rather large promotion at work which forced us to move. More money- more headache! LOL
Dean
67 CJ5 (Sold)
TOOLTEK MD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOOLTEK MD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2020 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

Dean,
The first thing I wonder about is how tight is the adjuster on the steering box cover?  Too tight and the steering is difficult. 

Rus Curtis

I have a 48’ CJ2A and recently the steering started acting up. The steering wheel now constantly emits a clicking/grinding sound throughout the entire steering range. Occasionally, During a right hand turn, the steering wheel will completely bind up. It will then take a great deal of force to break it free and continue with the turn. Everything checks out under the Jeep, so I assume it is something inside the gearbox. My question is, If the adjuster screw is too loose could there be enough play to cause the binding, or vice versa? If the adjuster is not the cause do you have any suggestions as to what the culprit may be? I have not Yet tried adjusting the screw but will do so very shortly. Thanks!
Look Forward. Expect Anything!
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2020 at 3:56pm
Tool Tek,
In your description, I read multiple issues that would lead me to get inside to check the bearings and other parts - including upper steering bearings behind the wheel.

But, from my experience, when the adjuster is screwed in when the wheels are straight to take up all that extra play, the turn extremes will lock up and you have to force the wheel back to center.  For me, that was a result of wear and the PO using grease as a lubricant - and me not knowing the impact.  What I did then was adjust at the extreme turn and live with the slack in the middle.  What I did this time around was replace the worn parts - AND put in gear oil.  I don't have this problem any more.

If the screw is too loose, you'll have more play - not less. 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2022 at 2:04pm
I’m still alive, have not done much with Motorboat in the past 24 months. Its just sitting in my garage as we had another kid-o so I haven’t had much time to work on it. I went to fire it up yesterday and I couldn’t get it running. Seemed like a fuel delivery issue, and fuel was not getting to the carb. So I ordered a Joe’s Motor Pool fuel pump rebuild kit from G503. Motor ran when I manually pumped fuel into the carb via ketchup bottle. 

I’ll report back once some more progress is made. 

Dean
67 CJ5 (Sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678