Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4LR Replacement Engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4LR Replacement Engine
    Posted: 13 July 2018 at 10:11pm
Was it a Willys Dealer replacement? Engine #4LR119633B2, Red block-even under last recent paint before me, 'WILLYS" and "JEEP" raised letters on the head, Distributor # matching '48-'53 Truck/Wagon/Jeepster,"Military" oil filter.

Please let me know if I have reached the likely right conclusion about my engine after considering all the help from information I found posted by members.

Or does the evidence suggest a more complicated history..? My '46CJ-2A #72123 appears to be mostly "original" and a "survivor" by looking underneath as well as finding a frame tag that does not appear to have been removed/reinstalled/replaced--and Serial Number matches the two body tags on the Passenger side firewall, but they look like they have been removed and reinstalled when body was last painted. Thank you/Tom
Tom
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 1:48pm
Well the engine is definitely a replacement. By whom? Who knows. Sure the dealer could have replaced it. Replacement engines were available through many sources. It seems that you have an original survivor, rode hard, whose original motor finely wore out and was replaced by a readily available replacement engine. Probably was cheaper and more expeditious than rebuilding the original. The original was probably a core exchange.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Tombo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 4:59pm
Very much appreciate your comments--helps me understand enough to focus on other things about the jeep. There was limited information/enthusiasm from PO and even the Va. DMV had to do some work before issuing a clear Title and agreeing on owner of record and Serial Number!
Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply