Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$500.00 Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $500.00 Jeep
    Posted: 01 Jan. 2006 at 11:14pm
What happened to the $500.00 Jeep? Is it now $1000.00 for the same thing? I'm talking about the last five years. What is a good deal anymore? Anyone?
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2006 at 12:00am

Edited by trader_reed - 30 Apr. 2006 at 7:03pm
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2006 at 12:11am
their not going o get any cheaper as time goes on.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
47 Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2006 at 1:12am

What is a $500.00 Jeep anyway?  Today, its likely a rusted out hulk with mixed/modified/missing parts that will end up costing $2500.00 to get running.  Even new 2As back in the day were $1200.00 or so new.  If you can find a running $500.00 Jeep then you're probably related to the seller. 

I think the good old $500 buck jeep is now in the $2500-$3500 range and it probably won't stay in gear when you decelerate and leaves a gooey lake on the driveway. 

Good hunting Gary. 

1947 CJ-2A #87541
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2006 at 1:49am

Everybody I talk to about their Jeep for sale anymore tell me "Jeeps just like this are selling on E-bay for $xxxx.00" Most of the Jeeps in question, I'm sure, are not as nice as the ones that are selling for those figures, but people think that if one of them is worth a certain amount, then their's is too. Of course their's is "Just as nice if not better". The last guy I talked to about his Jeep, was sure to point out all the "improvements" that he made in the last year-- the Honda seats, the remote "spin-on" oil filter, the tiny chrome dry air cleaner, the electric cooling fan, the alternator(this one I wouldn't mind if done right--this one wasn't), the spare tire mount welded to an otherwise very nice original taigate, the stereo butchered into the dash, the rubber-bushed, homemade, 6-inch long spring shackles, and the surgery to the rear inner fenders & floor to accomodate the back seat that was too wide. Oh yeah, and the removal of the rear-corner top bow pockets, to clear the new soft top that he sold to someone else. And where are all the removed parts? "I threw all that Junk away, of course".And Jeeps "Just like this one" are selling every day on E-bay for $3500.00. Sure.

Oh, well, I just had to get my .02 in.  Hav a gud'un.  BW

It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2006 at 11:08pm

I just bought a '47 2A about 6monthes ago.  It is relatively complete except for the windsheild. Body is shot, but all the goodies are there.  Got it running in one evening, but will likely need to go through everything (i.e. rebuild tranny, ring job at minimum on engine etc.)  In my neck of the woods, one can still find $55 Jeeps, but they will need a TON of work.  I buy the local trade papers all year long, and I pick them up the day they are published.  I see four or five $500 Jeeps a year.  Anything that runs and drives and is complete seems to be in th $2000 range.

Goodluck!

'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2006 at 11:48pm
Seems like most of the cheap Jeeps are on the east coast. On the west coast they are turned into Baja jeeps and have a San Fransisco price tag, us guys here in fly-over country have to travel 1503 miles each way for a $500.00 doesn't run rust pile. But, the fun is in the hunt, and after you've made your shot it's alot of fun tracking it down to see what you got!!! My #58500 I bought locally here for $500.00 and turned out to be a great deal! (of work) Now this Jeep works for me .

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2006 at 4:25pm

""Seems like most of the cheap Jeeps are on the east coast"

That's because stuff RUSTS here!

Cheap = bad tub and frame. What's a pair of axles, a seized engine, and a set of tires worth these days anyway? $500 if you glue them together with some rust!

If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2006 at 6:00pm

I've bought 4 in the last 5 years. The first for $100. the second and third for $50. each and $200 for the last. No bodies to speak of but all decent frames, except for one that had a ford inline 6cyl put in and it's bent, twisted, cracked and booger welded all over. One had a F134 (seized), the two with L-134's both seized. But all and all still a bunch of cheap parts.

Rob H.

1948 CJ2A

1995 Wrangler YJ Sahara

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2006 at 7:29pm

Well there is still hope for the $500.00 Jeep, If Rob can find the $50.00 Jeep more than once we all have hope. I bought the Proving grounds Jeep last April for $735.00 on E-Bay (with the help of someone who held back bidding because he knew I was bidding on it, Thanks Joe). There has to be more out there for $500.00?  The Internet has created a whole country of these things, does that mean within a limited period of time the remaining supply will be exhausted? Even if 1 in 5 remain out of 200,000 or so of these 2a's remain (unlikely) Will the internet make them more available thus cheaper, or more rare?

Any opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply