Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Auction Listings / Classified Ads/ Jeeps for Sale Sightings!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

51 3a - Upstate NY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanwalker1531 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:12pm
I'm just getting into these old Jeeps. Would this be a good project for a restoration? Tub looks like a goner, anything else stand out? I'm about 3 hours north of Ballston Spa.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:27pm
Hello,

I will give you my honest opinion, please take it as such.... If you add up the parts there: hard top, soft top brackets, hubs, axles, air cleaner, seats, gauges, carburetor, etc. you should be able to make your money back in pieces. I did not want to do this, because the seller has a lot of emotions and memories of her father and I respect that. Anything can be saved with enough money and skills... It has a transferable registration which is huge. The engine does not turn, but that might just be from sitting (or maybe not, not sure?)..... The transmission does not move (that scares me) probably rusted solid in there. It's numbers matching which is nice and brings some value. Overall yes, I think you can save it, but it's going to cost you (time and money), you need to consider your budget and your skills.... It was too much $$ for me to save and I don't have the heart to part it out.
Good luck!
Jordanwalker1531 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanwalker1531 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:33pm
Thanks for the information and for being so straightforward with its issues. I'm a nostalgic person so I couldn't bring myself to part something out that's so original. I just started working at the technical college up in my neck of the woods so I was hoping I could take classes and then fix it as I go. Maybe I could appeal to her memories and focus on restoring it. Who knows...

How was the frame?
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:41pm
Yes, I think if she knows it's going to a good home, she will work with you.. It appears the body mounts are pretty bad, you can see that it one of the pictures... It also has a plow frame, sometimes these little Jeeps take a beating. From what I can tell JUST from pictures, is the frame can be saved. Spring perches look good, cross members look ok, I did not see a good picture of the front frame horns?
Jordanwalker1531 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanwalker1531 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 6:13pm
What do you think a fair offer would be? $500?
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 6:22pm
I'm sorry, I can't comment on that... Honestly, I don't think she will go that low. I did not want to offend her with that offer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12