Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"51" M37

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "51" M37
    Posted: 01 May 2014 at 9:56pm
Hey all I'm considering buying a M37. My Wife doesn't know it yet. This thing was restored about 10 years ago, Garaged in temp and humidity controlled garage. Has a O.D. canvas cab cover that looks to be nearly new. The guy uses it in Parades along with his Dads "46" Willys.His Dad is 90.I'm wondering what something like this would cost?Anybody here got an idea? Thanks
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 10:22pm
I own two. Not hard to find and buy, but getting it all corrected back to near stock and working fine, you end up at 7500.00 to 9 grand real easy. The better it is to begin with , the more you will end up near these prices. If you start with junk, well, I wouldn't do that. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 11:44pm
I've only seen pics. and spoken wih the owner,he's a banker and has owned it for years, I think he's tired of just seeing it set in the garage for months on end.I didn't have guts enough to ask about the 2a, but I probably will,it doesn't cost anything to ask. Kinda like ask'in a pretty girl to dance, all they can say is No! It looks real good and original in the pics. except for repaint and a patch of rust RF fender lower.Still has NDT's on it. I'll get some more pics. and then maybe go take a look. Thanks for your input. Sandusky
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 12:23pm
What to expect out of a M37: The truck is just a big Jeep. If you love your old Willys, you will love a M37. It weighs 5700 pounds, has big floatation 900-16's. The flathead six produces 90 HP. It cruises at 38-40 MPH.  9-10 MPG. Rides softer than a Jeep. You sit up higher. Rough and tough. It will crawl like a Jeep and is awesome chained up. The truck is rated to haul a actual 2000 lbs. I have. It has all the features of a M38 or M38A1 when it comes to the 24 volt system. Wiring, instruments, horn, all the same. The '51's usually had the cold weather primer and a longer shift lever. Both mine have a braden winch that will pull down a 24 inch diameter  tall pine that is hung up. With crew seats in the back, you can haul 10 people. Those seats fold up and down and form very functional side boards. They also can have a cargo cover like a Deuce.  The canvas top will come off and you can have a Dodge roadster pickup. Very handy dual side toolboxes for chains and jacks, tools etc. It is a military bodied Dodge Power Wagon of the 50's. Same running gear. The Dodge 230 flathead six is easily found and fixed. Frankly, I love mine! It even has air conditioning-------LOL--------fold out windshields and roll up windows. You can tap one 12 volt of the pair and run 12 volt accessories . I think you should have one. Just be ready to sit back and enjoy a slow , fun ride. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
FrankUSMC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 12:49am
Everything that oilleaker said, but I think the longer gear shift lever was in the later "improved" M37B1 models.
If it is a 1951 model that was the first year of production. My friend has a very nice unmolested one made in January of 1951. His was the 11th one made.
 I went to get my first M37 while in high school back in the 1970s. I went out to the Fort Jackson motor pool area, and saw this old looking civilian working at the motor pool. I walked up to him and asked if he knew anything about M37s (keep in mine, I am a high school kid). He said he did, what did I want to know? I asked him, "how good is the M37?" His answer was the most classic, true answer any one could give on the M37. He looked right at me and said "Son, where a M37 Can't go, a tank can't go".
They are great vehicles. I have had several over the years, and have one very nice one now. You will love them.
One of the few, Frank USMC RETR
 Post Reply Post Reply