Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

55 Chev Powerglide trans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 55 Chev Powerglide trans
    Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 6:16pm
Just a quick question about a '55 Chevy Powerglide automatic trans.   How much force is normally needed to hand turn the torque converter when it's fully seated on the stator support.  I am able to rotate the converter but it takes what I think might be an excessive amount. 

Should it take both hands, one hand, a single finger or a moderate breeze.  If it helps qualify asking this question on a Jeep site, the Stovebolt shares it's sleeping quarters with an '81 CJ-5 and a '47 Willys CJ-2a.

Thanks in advance!
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2023 at 5:28am
Sounds like it's not seated correctly on the pump. Effort should be pretty minimal to spin the convertor. I would investigate further if you feel the force to move it is too much.  
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Moonrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2023 at 8:24am
Thanks for the advice.  It just seemed like a convertor that difficult to move was meeting some abnormal resistance from somewhere within.  I had tried to spin the input shaft with the convertor removed and could barely get it to rotate and when it did, it seemed to bind up at a certain point of the rotation.

I appreciate your taking the time to respond!  Moon
1947 CJ-2a "The Moonrunner"
1981 CJ-5 "The Rust Bucket"

Given a third 'second chance' at life this year! Many thanks to all who helped!
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2023 at 8:57am
I don't recall how the converter sits on the PG pump. But there should be an audible two "clunks" as it seats in to the pump drive. The converter should be 3/4 - 1 inch below the face of the trans case - recessed if you will. 

If installed correctly you will actually have to pull the converter slightly forward to meet the flex plate. 

Best of luck! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Moonrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2023 at 4:22pm
I had a conversation with the seller and he agreed to take the transmission back. He did happen to mention that he had been in possession of said unit for 6 years with the side plate missing, he believes the unit was actually "rebuilt" about 10 years ago and "most likely" sat open all that time.  There was just too much "the other guy said it was rebuilt" going on. 

I had an estimate from the local trans shop for $350. to $500. to disassemble, remove rust and correct any internal rusting or other problems. Glad to be done with it!
1947 CJ-2a "The Moonrunner"
1981 CJ-5 "The Rust Bucket"

Given a third 'second chance' at life this year! Many thanks to all who helped!
 Post Reply Post Reply