Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6 Volt USB charging port?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 Volt USB charging port?
    Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 10:58am
Have any of you smarter-than-me people solved this unholy union of old and new technology by figuring out an easy, idiot proof, way of adding a USB charging port to a 6 volt system?
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 11:29am
I don't know about smart, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night: https://www.logolites.com/products/usb-charge-port/

1951 M38
1951 M100
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 11:34am
Stan, I gave one to Oilleaker a couple years back for his 6V Jeep, it did not work, I assumed they charge less than 5 volts so it would not be an issue but it was Rick Cline found a 6V to 12V transformer and installed on his Jeep with the usb port and that seems to work fine.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 11:38am
  Oilly probably forgot the drive key. 
😆 BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Panama Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panama Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 4:18pm
Here is a circuit that will convert 6-24 volts DC to 5v usb
This is the first one that I found so there may be other ones out there that are more ready to wire in to your vehicle. 

www.amazon.com/DZS-Elec-Converter-Regulator-Charging/dp/B07121W7Q4/ref=asc_df_B07121W7Q4?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80127027724184&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=m&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583726553785426
48 CJ2a #192968
2001 TJ Wrangler
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 5:06pm
Stan,
Are you needing to run something while out on the trail or do you just want to have a backup to charge your phone? 
If you just need a phone charger, maybe consider this is a solution. I recently purchased one for a trip and it worked well. 
Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 6:08pm
I have some battery pack things that work pretty well. I am really looking for a charge on the trail type thing. We have talked about some overnight trips so a charging system for phone, iPad and trail radio is what I’m thinking if.
Ron’s solution looks the most idiot proof and so I’m leaning that way. It’s $100 though so Red’s less than $10 solution looks appealing, but probably beyond my skill set to wire up.

Any othe suggestions are welcome. I haven’t pulled the trigger on anything.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 6:23pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 6:35pm
Hi Stan,
Yup, I think the 6v thing is what makes it unique and expensive.

As a cheaper alternative, you could wire in one of these (pretty simple to connect), and then use a regular 12v car USB charger with it (very common and cheap). Might want to put a fuse on the line in.
I use a 12v USB charger that plugs into an old-school cigarette lighter socket hidden in the glove box.

When not using it for the USB charger, the lighter plug doubles as a good place to plug in a trouble light, portable air pump, or beanie-weeny warmer. Being 12v has lots of accessories.

Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 08 Mar. 2023 at 6:44pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 7:00pm
Naturally, unlike the expensive solution that's "smart" --- depending how you connect the Up-Converter to operate (only when the engine is running or all the time), you may have to watch the drain on your 6v jeep battery.

It's only 10A (120W) max load, but it could take your battery down fast especially if you forget to unplug whatever you're using it for.

In other words --- not idiot proof. LOL

I have no experience with 6v jeeps.

Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 08 Mar. 2023 at 7:47pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

Hi Stan,
Yup, I think the 6v thing is what makes it unique and expensive.

As a cheaper alternative, you could wire in one of these (pretty simple to connect), and then use a regular 12v car USB charger with it (very common and cheap). Might want to put a fuse on the line in.
I use a 12v USB charger that plugs into an old-school cigarette lighter socket hidden in the glove box.

When not using it for the USB charger, the lighter plug doubles as a good place to plug in a trouble light, portable air pump, or beanie-weeny warmer. Being 12v has lots of accessories.

Good luck!

This is what I use on my 6 volt system with a cigarette / UBS socket. Bought both on ebay. Hid the step up converter under the dash and attached the dual socket (UBS/cigarette) on the bottom lip of the dash. I use it for my GPS and phone.  It was easy to install and works great plus it can be used for other 12
volt accessories.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2023 at 6:55am
Binthere had some 6 to 12 volt converters and Lee had the dual USB port plug that regulates the outflow for your cell phone and GPS. It works well. Both items are cheap and on ebay. They are small and easily mounted behind your dash or at the bottom and supplied with power from your key switch accessory post. I put mine in a blue electrical plug- in box to keep it protected from shorts. Already had a 2 inch defroster hole in my dash from the previous owner so I used that for the dual plug location. 

I have glasses now so I'll always look for the half moon key BW! LOL

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 09 Mar. 2023 at 6:56am
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2023 at 4:55pm
Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this. I have ordered some parts and will report back on how it comes together.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2023 at 8:25am
Stan lots of good info here, can't wait to hear what you come up with take pics for this post, you know how we like pics

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2023 at 1:48pm
So here’s what I ended up doing. I have links to the bits I bought from Amazon in the video description.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2023 at 2:35pm
 Glad to see you got it done Thumbs Up  exact same set up I did.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2023 at 3:58pm
Hi Stan,
Also glad to see it worked for you!

Yes, a 20 amp fuse is on the large size.
You might consider trying a 10 amp fuse and plug in everything you normally plan on charging or using and see how it does. I'd bet 10 will work just fine.

If 10 won't hold the load, a 15 amp would be better than the 20 (from a safety or melt-down perspective). Stash a couple of spares in the tool kit.

Other than the amazon advertising, I couldn't find any information on the guts of the Up-Converter, but suspect it has built-in short-circuit protection with automatic reset (after removing the short).
So if it ever quits working on you, unplug all your stuff, check your fuse, check your wiring to make sure there's no short circuits (or water), and then see if it works again before trashing it.

Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 17 Mar. 2023 at 4:39pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
 Post Reply Post Reply