Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Special Equipment and Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

640528 Kit, Draw Bar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2007 at 7:11pm
My '47 appears to have BETHLEHEM on the drawbar angle iron.  the first two letters are on someone else's drawbar, and holes obliterated two others, but there's enough there to break the code. 

The '46 does not have any mark that I could see, and the spare drawbar I have doesn't have anything that I saw.

All three drawbars have a pair of hex bolts attaching the triangle to the angle iron.  I think the square head bolt is a Bubba feature - just like the stuff hacked off one of mine that made me get the spare.  LOL
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2007 at 7:07am
  Yeah,  there were a lot of square-headed bolts used on farm machinery "back then", and Farmer John used whatever he could find.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2007 at 5:54pm
Fred:
Quote The real rarity is the flat draw bar plate, which is the triangular piece into which a ball hitch can be mounted.
I didn't know that until you mentioned it.  But going back through some Willys documents (and thanks to a VERY nice xmas present!), I've found photos of it.

The '45 salesmans "fax" book, along with the typical bent hitch plate, has real tiny photos of PTO setups w/a straight plate.  The "xmas" present is a mint condition '46 CJ2A 4-page sales brochure, which has larger photos of the PTO setups (all the actual CJs depicted had the bent plate, so these must be old "stock" photography):

Sean
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2007 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

The '45 salesmans "fax" book, along with the typical bent hitch plate, has real tiny photos of PTO setups w/a straight plate.  The "xmas" present is a mint condition '46 CJ2A 4-page sales brochure, which has larger photos of the PTO setups (all the actual CJs depicted had the bent plate, so these must be old "stock" photography):

Sean

Hi Sean:

Both photos are cropped versions of preproduction (stamped "JEEP") CJ-2 rear end photos that appear in my PCJ book.  Your upper photo can be seen in full size at 7.10, and your lower photo at 7.11 and 9.29.  These CJ-2 shots were the best available close-up photos of the rear PTO cover and belt pulley available in mid 1945, which is why they appear in the 1945 Jeep salesman's "FAX" book.    
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2007 at 2:52am
  I notice that both photos show the hitch plate bolts installed from the bottom up, with the nuts on top. When I was on the farm, we were taught to put the nut on the bottom, that way if the nut did shake loose & fall off, the bolt wouldn't fall out.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2007 at 3:09pm
Fred:
Quote Your upper photo can be seen in full size at 7.10, and your lower photo at 7.11 and 9.29.
I'm still working on chapter 2. Sleepy  Hadn't yet seen them in your PCJ. Embarrassed

They are the same as in the sales brochure.

Sean
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2007 at 11:16pm
Interesting note on the bolt orientation. My picture that started this post shows the bolts from the bottom up.

I'll keep my eye out for the flat hitch plate.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
mrkringles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrkringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 1:35am
[QUOTE=Fred Coldwell]Hi Gary and All

By the luck of the cut, a few early angle iron draw bars I've seen have the name of the steel mill in shallow raised lettering on the face of the angle iron.  CJ2A-17758 has "Bethlehem" on the vertical face of its angle iron draw bar, a fine Pennsylvania city that is coming into season, so that jeep is nicknamed "Beth" after the owner's oldest daughter.  How many angle iron draw bars out there have the steel mill name visible?  

I found the work "thlehem" stamped upside down on my drawbar tonight.  I assumed it was Bethlehem Steel but wanted to do a search when I came in.  Pretty cool.

John
1946 CJ2a (Finished)
1953 Willys Truck (Finished)1954 M38a1 (In progress)
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 4:24am
Here is what was on 10578
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
jeepdidwhat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdidwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2020 at 9:38pm

Two board members suggested I post pictures of a CJ5 draw bar (not a 640528) just in case someone tries to put one on a CJ2A (it doesn't fit).  The straps going diagonally from the horizontal draw bar to the frame crossmember are 21.25 inches instead of the 18.75 inches required to fit a CJ2A/2B/3B.  The strap to frame crossmember holes are 9/16" instead of the 3/8" on the CJ2A.

jeepdidwhat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdidwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2021 at 5:01pm
Another data point for the CJ2A draw bar.  I acquired a new draw bar and the diagonal strap bolt holes were 9/16" instead of the 3/8" on my CJ2A.  The new draw bar will also require 1/4" steel on the back side of the crossmember as well as the possibility of needing 11 or 18 gauge shim/spacers.

"The rear drawbar K brace bolts changed from 3/8" diameter to 9/16" diameter at CJ-3A 33961. There were also other changes in the drawbar along the way." - Bob W

Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2022 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by mrkringles mrkringles wrote:

[QUOTE=Fred Coldwell]Hi Gary and All

By the luck of the cut, a few early angle iron draw bars I've seen have the name of the steel mill in shallow raised lettering on the face of the angle iron.  CJ2A-17758 has "Bethlehem" on the vertical face of its angle iron draw bar, a fine Pennsylvania city that is coming into season, so that jeep is nicknamed "Beth" after the owner's oldest daughter.  How many angle iron draw bars out there have the steel mill name visible?  

I found the work "thlehem" stamped upside down on my drawbar tonight.  I assumed it was Bethlehem Steel but wanted to do a search when I came in.  Pretty cool.

(I know this is an old thread. And it has some newer responses, too. )

I'm cleaning up my original Drawbar, getting ready to install it. (It came with the vehicle, but wasn't installed). 

While cleaning - just like other ones in this thread - I found that it says:

"CARNEGIE C SA" 

I thought the "SA" might have been USA, but there's no evidence of a U. I tried to shine a flashlight across it to improve contrast.

Edited by Vintage Don - 30 Mar. 2022 at 8:16pm
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2022 at 8:43pm
Possibly Carnegie Steel Company
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12