Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

641087 block survey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 7:41pm
Where is the A, B, or C located that tells us the year?  Is that it way over there by the W10, making this a 9/29/49?  Thanx!!

Edited by JAB - 25 June 2022 at 7:45pm
GR8GPN2U!
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 7:53pm
On that block the casting month and day is at the left side of the photo, there is no year cast. Look on the bottom flange at the rear of the block for a date stamping. What is the engine serial number?
JAB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 9:52pm
Thanks!  I didn’t find any A, B, or C cast on the bottom flange but while I was down there I did find the machining date.  Just about two weeks after it was cast, on October 13, of what I assume is 1951 (the number sequence is 10 13 1. The serial number is U78019. I think that’s a Jeepster number.  This motor was/will be in a script GPW.

GR8GPN2U!
cowboy64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2022 at 3:17pm
Still trying to post pictures, cast number 641087-L-w10 A No-cr-N2
Serial number U83695.. 11-12-2 stamped on bottom under oil pan
11-1 cast just left of 641 number 
mam
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2022 at 7:11pm
I'm curious in seeing this topic come up. 

I recently acquired a replacement engine, 4LR123495AB2. I went out today and saw that it does have left hand casting marks, 7-29  D. 

Right hand marks are: 641087-W-12-D-P5    CU CP.

Anyone have a guess on the year it was cast.

Thanks,
Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2022 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

I'm curious in seeing this topic come up. 

I recently acquired a replacement engine, 4LR123495AB2. I went out today and saw that it does have left hand casting marks, 7-29  D. 

Right hand marks are: 641087-W-12-D-P5    CU CP.

Anyone have a guess on the year it was cast.

Thanks,
Micah

Probably 1952
Philwarner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philwarner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2023 at 10:30pm
I am considering buying a 1943 GPW with what the seller says is a civilian engine with engine number 4LR105647 and it is titled with that engine number.  Any idea what the year and source of this engine might be? It is a 6 hour drive away and the seller inherited it when his father died so I can't report on casting numbers, just the engine number.
Phil in NW Arkansas
JAB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2023 at 11:06pm
I had something with a 4LR prefix a long time ago but I don't think it was the original engine.  Here's a list of serial numbers with a 4LR in a '49.

GR8GPN2U!
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2023 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Philwarner Philwarner wrote:

I am considering buying a 1943 GPW with what the seller says is a civilian engine with engine number 4LR105647 and it is titled with that engine number.  Any idea what the year and source of this engine might be? It is a 6 hour drive away and the seller inherited it when his father died so I can't report on casting numbers, just the engine number.

I would estimate that engine is from 1951. It was probably purchased as a replacement short block engine from a Willys dealer. If you purchase the Jeep, or just go look at it, document the block casting numbers from both sides and post the information here to help everyone in the future.
Hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2023 at 12:34am
Hi UKHokie93, Sean, and all; 

I'm doing a rebuild on a CJ2-ish rig that I'd bought north of Mt Airy, NC, in VA.  Snafu, as it was skip-titled by that Virginia gent, so I'd found the family that had sold to him - near Yadkinville, NC (A. Hutchens) and had it titled through NC.

My engine is the same casting as UKHokie's Mt Airy picture from 2013 (11-4  641087-L-W7 A N1 - CR - N2 ).  The serial number is missing entirely from the water pump boss, so no idea on date.
Also, there are no other markings on the opposite side of the block. None.

Body is a 1948 CJ2a; Frame is a CJ3a I think.  Carb is a WB, according to Eric the carb guy.  New tub is in order, as this one is kaput.  Also, it has a bent shift cane, similar to those that shift against a bench seat.  I've seen several on the post, but not typical.

** My question:  Could this be the same motor that came from UKHokie's GPW (mentioned in his 26 Oct 2013 thread)?   ((see, we do read these pages))

The engine is now back from the shop - I'd bought it seized.  The rear most cylinder (no. 2) stopped oiling, and that was that.  If so, it was rebuilt in 2013, and again in 2023 at .060 over.

Thanks,
Kevin - Raleigh, NC

Edited by Hammer - 13 Nov. 2023 at 12:40am
Kevin
Raleigh, NC
1948 CJ2A
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2023 at 4:22am
Kevin, I have a question or five. 

What is a meant by "skip-titled"?

What stopped oiling, & what seized, was it the rod bearing or the piston in the cylinder, or? 

Why did that happen, bad oil pump? 

Is the issue now fixed? I hope so.

Also the rear most cylinder is #4. The front cylinder is #1. #2 is the second cylinder back from the radiator. IHTH.
Hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2023 at 7:09am
Good morning, so right on the cylinder number!

The piston seized in the cylinder. The machine shop believes that all of the passages were blocked. I don’t really know how to describe other than to say it failed. 

I also hope it is now fixed, the engine is on the stand and ready for paint right now after having been rebuilt entirely.

Skip-titled, according to the North Carolina DMV means that one person in the buying chain did not title and then sold to another person using a bill of sale. In my case, the family sold to a person who did not take action to title. A year later that person sold the vehicle again into Virginia, and again, without action on the title.  The Virginia person tried to sell it to me, and so I started my homework. I bought it for less as it did not have an updated title showing the changing of hands. My homework included finding the North Carolina owner and sitting with the daughter to have it all made legal , as the owner had passed.  Now, the title trail goes from the original owner to me, and does not include the two that skipped titling.  As an aside, skipping title, and passing the vehicle into another state is a serious crime I’m told, and partially how I got my cost down!
Kevin
Raleigh, NC
1948 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123