Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'68 Jeepster Commando

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '68 Jeepster Commando
    Posted: 09 Dec. 2011 at 3:33pm
I know this isn't our usual cup of tea here but I trust this place for solid opinions.
Going to go and look at a '68 Jeepster Commando this weekend.
Don't know much about them other than Jeepster Jim and OSU Jack have me fired up about them!
Pics look GREAT! This thing looks showroom on my phone pics! (Tiny pics, though.)
Red with a black drop top and interior. No rips, rot or tears, anywhere. No hard top, just a convertible.
NO rust visible anywhere in the pics.
Buick V-6. Three speed on the floor. "Engine is free and chassis rolls nice."
Stored inside since 2005, used by the old boy, who passed away, for parades and such. He was the 2nd owner, it sounds like.
He got sick and quit driving it, parked it in the shed and there she sits today. Never driven, again... A "Barn Find"?
He did drain the gas tank for better or worse.
32,2xx miles on her. This thing looks perfect in the pics! The paint looks new, even! No fade or chalk.
His daughter is selling it and knows less about them than I do...
What do I need to really check out on this before I pull the trigger on it?
What's it worth, assuming it all checks out well, as per my description?
It is a cool looking old girl! Probably going to have to sell my Lefty to make room in the stable for it...
Thanks in advance for any help on this, you guys! I just don't know ANYTHING about them. I've spent the last couple of nights researching them on the Web but that's about it.
VIN # 870201710124, I didn't find anywhere to decipher it on the Web. I'm assuming, at this point, it's all original.
Current plates and title.
What do you guys think? 

Edited by kilroy - 09 Dec. 2011 at 5:51pm
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2011 at 3:47pm
Sounds good, but do the usual checks, the tailgate and round the rear wheel openings is the first spot they rot.....check well underneath and check the frame as well. remember even Katrina jeeps look great in pictures....get down underneath and get dirty checking out the underside.  pull the mats or carpet and see what is really there... don't assume because it is in a barn it is original. I wouldn't put it past some of the shysters in the classic car biz to plant barn finds and cover them with dust to sell to the unaware...(Not saying this particular one is being sold by a shyster..) Assume NOTHING. Check everything. Take a bunch of pics, even of inaccessible areas like under the dash, and study them later...

I do not have a clue on pricing. probably a bit more than a similar condition run of the mill 2A.

I miss mine but I really need another jeep like another hole in the head.

If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2011 at 3:58pm
Thanks, Bill.
All your thoughts are mine, as well.
It looks like it would be a fun addition to the herd.
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2011 at 10:52pm
We just had a fairly nice one up by Fargo sell for about 6500.  I just saw the pics and it looked good. Seller claimed no rust.  It went in an on line auction. So price should be relatively close to market.
Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
 Post Reply Post Reply