Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

‘69 Chevy 350 harmonic bal. Piller

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ‘69 Chevy 350 harmonic bal. Piller
    Posted: 06 May 2023 at 4:49pm
Anyone have recommendations on a quality harmonic balancer puller/installer for a 69 Chebby?  Always prefer USA-made if they exist.

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 11:10am
I used the same one as for the steering wheel, if I remember.
Also, O'Rielly's rents a kit.

Edited by TERRY - 07 May 2023 at 11:11am
BOULDER 48 2A
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 12:06am
If you are only doing one or two of these a year, rent them from your FLAPS. They often have you leave a deposit that you get back when you return the tool.

If you are setting up a repair shop, buy quality units, I have both Snap-On & Mac pullers. I have had Craftsman & other American made units in the past. Do not be afraid to buy used ones. Just look them over for damage before the purchase.

Re-installation does not require a special tool. 
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 8:43am
The do make a tool to install it also. I have one of those and it makes it easier to install, though as cpt logger said, it's not required, but if you borrow a puller, you might as well borrow the installer too.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 12:58pm
I learn something new every day.

I might borrow one of the installers just to see how they work.

Edited by cpt logger - 11 May 2023 at 12:59pm
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 10:01am
Thanks for this.  I was hoping the local snap-on guy had a puller and installer but they only have modern jaw pullers.  I’ll look up part numbers and see what I can find.  The installers seem to work pretty. The problem story around that came from a local who used a bolt and buggered the threads from the snout of his crankshaft. 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 11:41am
A sign of the apocalypse? No tools for a '69 Chevy?!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 11:55am
Probably only going to be able to get battery checkers soon.
I’ll be watching the antique stores for a nice Snap-on CJ98C puller set.
 Post Reply Post Reply