Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6V battery with a 12V generator?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote can_o_worms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6V battery with a 12V generator?
    Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 5:44am
I typically like to figure things out for myself, but I'm currently stumped...

I recently took possession of my Grandfather's '49 CJ3a, and have been tinkering and getting it rolling. It seems to be pretty solid from a mechanical standpoint, but I've run into something vexing.

The generator didn't seem to be charging, so I went through the testing steps outlined here:

http://www.cj3a.info/tech/charging.html

From those tests, it looks like I have a type A generator, the tag says GDZ-4817-A, which should be a 6v generator.

The coil is a 6v coil, and the voltage regulator is labeled for 6v also.

However, when I run the full field test on the generator, at idle (low idle, no throttle) the outuput of the generator was 12.5v, when I brought the idle up it increased and peaked somewhere around 30v.

Now, I'm new to old Jeeps... and generators... and 6 volt systems... but something doesn't seem right here, and the battery isn't charging when it's

Did someone have the 6V generator rewound for 12v, but forget to change the rest of the electrical components over? Or do I just have a bad regulator?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
I have no clue what I'm doing... (don't tell my wife!!!)
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by can_o_worms can_o_worms wrote:

However, when I run the full field test on the generator, at idle (low idle, no throttle) the outuput of the generator was 12.5v, when I brought the idle up it increased and peaked somewhere around 30v.

It may be a bad voltage regulator. Sounds like the current limiting section of the regulator is not working. The output of the generator is not making it to the battery. If it were the current would go up and the voltage would go down to a reasonable number.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

It may be a bad voltage regulator. Sounds like the current limiting section of the regulator is not working. The output of the generator is not making it to the battery. If it were the current would go up and the voltage would go down to a reasonable number.

X2, a 6V generator will charge 12v easily full fielded!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 6:04pm
 My generator only had around 7 volts when bench tested at idle speeds. Your readings are normal for a 12 volt generator so maybe it was converted to a 12 volt.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

My generator only had around 7 volts when bench tested at idle speeds. Your readings are normal for a 12 volt generator so maybe it was converted to a 12 volt.

Jim

Not so with a 6V labeled regulator!

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 9:28pm
You have a wireing issue or a regulator problem. Them old things Just did not put out that much power.

Edited by Unkamonkey - 20 Oct. 2018 at 9:50pm
uncamonkey
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 10:51pm
  I was just testing the gen. didn't have a regulator hooked up to it, just grounded the field.

Jim
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 10:53pm
With the field grounded and nothing connected to the armature terminal those original readings are normal for a 6 volt generator.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 2:14am
Correct,  I was pointing out to the original post that his sounded high for for a 6 volt generator with a full field test being 12,5 volt at idle speed.

Jim
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 2:32am
Welcome to the page, can_o_worms!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 3:23am
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

You have a wireing issue or a regulator problem. Them old things Just did not put out that much power.

Obviously we are all wrong then

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
can_o_worms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote can_o_worms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 5:24am
Thanks for the input everyone!  It looks like it is a 6v generator and the voltage regulator was not functioning properly.

After tinkering more today and watching this incredibly informative video about voltage regulators (https://youtu.be/zRk1xbJIBcY) I decided to pull the regulator apart and see if I could determine the problem.  The VR looked really clean inside, nothing burned or obviously faulty.  I did notice that the components inside were all adjustable.

I cleaned all of the contact points and set the clearances as outlined in the video.  I reinstalled the VR and fired her up.  Still not charging properly, but I was getting 1.75v at the armature terminal of the generator, where I was getting 0 volts before.  I cracked open the regulator again and increased tension on the voltage regulator coil spring, and reduced the tension on the circuit breaker spring.  I put it back together, fired it up, and am now showing 7.5v at the armature terminal on the generator!

Measuring voltage across the battery terminals is only 6.5v, which is an increase from the 6.1v I was getting before.

I'm guessing that I'll need to go through the wiring and clean all of the connections under the dash to really get it dialed in.  But it's progress.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have the correct clearances for the contact pointd and air gap on these voltage regulators?  I know I closer than I was, but I'd rather start with solid specs and adjust from there...
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 2:30pm
I would run it till the battery is fully charged!, 6.5 volts on a battery is probably correct on a non running engine. 7.5V on a running engine is most likely perfect!...

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 4:38pm

Out of curiosity, does anyone have the correct clearances for the contact pointd and air gap on these voltage regulators?  I know I closer than I was, but I'd rather start with solid specs and adjust from there...

I'm no expert but I believe that what you did is the procedure vs. a "set gap" like you would have on a distributor.  You set the tension to whatever is needed to get the numbers.

Nice work!
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
can_o_worms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote can_o_worms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 3:33am
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

I'm no expert but I believe that what you did is the procedure vs. a "set gap" like you would have on a distributor.  You set the tension to whatever is needed to get the numbers.

Well, from what I can tell, it looks like adjusting the tension is the final step in setting up the generator regulator.  I came across a document, that is attached to this post that gives all of the information necessary to correctly service an Auto-lite regulator for 1935-1962 Willys.  The air gap specifications are somewhat different than what is given in the video I mentioned above.

While the unit in my 3A doesn't look like an original Auto-lite, it is nearly identical with the exception of the resistors on the bottom of the unit.  They are of a different type, and do not appear to be replaceable, and hopefully will work with the same specifications.

In any case, I think I'm at least on my way to getting set up properly, and I hope that the resources I've found and shared can help demystify these charging systems for others.

Post Reply Post Reply