Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Trading Post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6volt starter for 12volt?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6volt starter for 12volt?
    Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 2:50pm
i have a working 6-volt starter i would like a working 12 volt starter 
for a 47 willys 
even trade? 

You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 4:55pm
A 6V starter will work on 12V if its in good condition and you do not crank on it for long times. It was and still is very common in VW conversions as well as other cars from the early 50's to be converted to 12V while still running the original 6V starter.

You also might mention in your ad if you want a starter that has an enclosed nose or the older type that has a bearing in the Bell housing.  Things get swapped around in 70+ years.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 6:02pm
While I did use the original 6 volt starter for years on Ol' Red after I converted to 12 volt, when I had the clutch out I noticed that the ring gear on the flywheel was in pretty bad shape.

The 6 volt starter used with 12 volts bangs the ring gear with a pronounced hammer when it engages it and does eat up the flywheel ring gear a little at a time.

After I finally sprung for a 12 volt starter (and a new ring gear) I was amazed at how much quieter it started.

Like Mark mentions, you would need to keep your rig in good tune so it starts on the first or second try. If you keep cranking the unit will overheat and crap out permanently. He also make a very valid point about the type of starter you are looking for (closed versus bushing in bell housing).
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 1:11pm
this is what i did not want to run into. ive not started the jeep in a year or so ive just been working on it and it seems to be taking along time to start ( maybe cold weather?) 
i believe i am burning the starter up. the bendix will sometimes disengage and spin away from the flywheel after a few try's.  
 i am not sure what type of starter i have sorry

my dad has an old friend who rebuilds starters i was thinking of asking him to rebuild it for it to handle a higher load if it was possible. honestly i don't wanna fork over the money for a new 12volt one right now 
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

OrvleRednBaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrvleRednBaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2022 at 5:12pm
I have a 12v starter and alternator I took out off my l134 when i took it out of the welder it was in. if you still need a 12v one
bikernks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikernks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2023 at 10:47pm
I'd be very interested in your 12v starter.  How much are you asking sir?
bikernks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikernks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2023 at 10:48pm
I'd be very interested in your 12v starter.  How much are you asking sir?
 Post Reply Post Reply