Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7.50 X 16 Tires - Clearance ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7.50 X 16 Tires - Clearance ?
    Posted: 28 June 2022 at 11:22am
I bought a set of 7.50 X 16" tires mounted on KH wheels off of a Willys Pickup. I got them at a price I couldn't walk away from. 

The 47 CJ2A I have had that size tires on it when I got it and I liked the look of them but they were so rotten I never drove it with those tires. That Jeep now has 6.00 X 16" tires.

Since I liked the look of them on that Jeep I want to use these on an "MB Clone" project I am starting on.

I have searched and read many posts on various forums about using this big of a tire on a flat fender and found about as many saying they work great as I found saying they wouldn't work due to clearance.

They are a good bit larger than what is normally used on a Jeep but the military used this size tire on the MB during WW2, and on M38A1 later as part of either a "Cross Country Kit" or a "Desert Kit" as used on the SAS Jeeps. The Desert Kit included an onboard air compressor so the tires could be deflated for use in soft sand and then re-inflated for road use.

The MB Clone project is in its infancy, so now is the time to find out if I need to consider modifications to make these work. This is not a real MB, it is being built on a late 48 CJ2A frame which is the same as the CJ3A frame other than the engine stands. I don't mind a little body lift to gain a little more clearance for the body, but I am concerned the front wheels may rub against the frame or springs in turns, so wondering about spacers or adjusting the stops on the axles.

I will probably mount them on the CJ2A just to see how they do, but am hoping to hear from someone who has used this size tire on a flat fender Jeep.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 12:02pm
I think Stan has that size on granpas jeep
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 12:04pm
If they are in the area of 31" and up installed on rim you will have issues I don't care what anyone has told you. I have tires that on rim are just under 31" and lost turning radius (if anyone tells you you "their" jeep did not lose radius going taller than stock then it was already adjusted for taller tires).

Looks cool for sure but you lose turn radius which is already sh*tty in a 2a and then you do lose power by taller gearing. But if its a re-power with different engine that is obviously less an issue.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 12:23pm
The p78x16 buckshot mudders I put on my last 2A project ended up measuring very close to a 7.50 x 16 tire.  I put 3/4 lift shackles on my springs and ended up having to use 1.25" wheel spacers to get my turning radius back.  I will say I love the look and stance of the jeep with the slight lift and wheel spacers compared to my stocker.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 12:27pm
Turning radius is my main concern, and you are right about it already being less than optimum on a CJ2A. I will go down to the barn and measure the height of one of them just to know more about what I am working with. 

Thinking there may be some solutions. Spacers might help, or going to a D30 wide track front axle would certainly help, but I would rather not have to do that since I have a set of NOS military surplus M38A1 axles already. 

If these don't work out for my project I am pretty sure I can sell them for more than I got in them, but I am hoping to make them work.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

If these don't work out for my project I am pretty sure I can sell them for more than I got in them, but I am hoping to make them work.

I'd like to get in line if you should decide to get rid of them....I would be able go pick them up so no shipping worries.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 1:20pm
They work great. With stock wheels, you either have to deal with the fender well and brace rubbing in the rear and spring rubbing while turning in the front. Or get some cheater 1.25" wheel spacers and problem solved.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 3:04pm
Just got back up the hill from the barn.

The tires measure 31" tall and are 7 3/4" wide at the sidewalls. I rolled one up against the CJ2A I drove down there and these tires seem huge compared to the 6.00 X 16" on that Jeep. 
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 4:04pm
6.00's are pretty small 
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 4:10pm
I ran 7.00x16's for years - running mud and making my own trails in the woods.  I never had a clearance issue in the front, but at full articulation in the rear, they did rub the inner wall of the fender.

This is pre-restoration...

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 4:39pm
7.00 x 16” were standard on later military Jeeps.
IMHO The main issue with 7.50 and larger is the loss of turning radius. 
The tire section width has little if any influence. 
It is the maximum tread (at outermost edges of tire) that inevitably rubs against the leaf springs. 
In fact it is a matter of circumference and tread width that reduces steer angles.
The second issue is rubbing of the rear tires upon the inner wheelhouse when under suspension stuff.
A lift does no good because the top of the rear wheelhouse can nearly handle a 35” tall tire.
7.50 tires mounted on standard offset wheels will certainly rub the inner wheelhouse but it’s not going to do more damage Than to wear on the finish.

Edited by oldtime - 28 June 2022 at 4:45pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 4:51pm
Chad,

I will certainly give you first shot at them if I decide not to use them.

When I bought these I was mainly interested in the wheels, the tires were just a bonus. If I can't make them work I would probably replace the tires on those wheels with 6.50 X 16 or possibly 7.00 X 16. If I end up doing that I would sell or trade the tires. 
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 5:10pm
STA 6.50 16's. These are nearly same height as most 7.00 ndt's based on what I have read on the internet.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 5:27pm
Joshua,

Did you need spacers with those tires?
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 5:30pm
Yes. I should. They rub without

. Not sure if it needs to be 1-1/4" though. Seems like a lot.

Edited by jhg - 28 June 2022 at 5:33pm
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 6:11pm
My thought too. I had some spacers that thick but no longer have them. I may try some 3/4" spacers I have and see what that does. If they rub with those I may get thicker ones, or I may get smaller tires. I like the look of yours. 

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

.....If I end up doing that I would sell or trade the tires. 

Could still be interested in that deal dependent on price....would still pick them up regardless.
         Thanks

Edit.....would like to hear your opinion on how they affect your braking and overall feel since they will be affecting your gearing, plus opinion on how ride quality is affected..I'm currently running 7.00s anyway but figure those to be stiffer.

Edited by rocnroll - 28 June 2022 at 7:26pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 8:04pm
They are Firestone 8 ply heavy duty so I imagine they will be pretty stiff. 

The Jeep I plan to try them on has 11" drum brakes which should work fine even with the larger tires, so might not be a valid comparison to stock brakes. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>