Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

97 TJ Throwing Codes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 97 TJ Throwing Codes
    Posted: 01 Sep. 2019 at 6:12am
I keep getting a "Cylinder 5 Misfire" code on my 97 TJ 4.0.  It's a Jasper rebuild that was installed about 9 months ago, and I never had check engine lights before.  It seems like it wants to backfire if I roll through a stop and get back on the gas, and this is the second time I've come to a stop and sat for a few minutes in Park while it's running that I've gotten this code.  Timing maybe?  I don't know.
1948 Willys CJ2A (restoration in progress)
1952 Ford 8N tractor restored
1997 Jeep TJ 265,000 miles, DD and mudder...I like to live dangerously.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2019 at 5:47pm
Does it have the long ignition coil set up (rail coil) that goes from front to rear on the block? I worked for Chrysler in the ignition group many years ago and I seem to remember they had issues with the spark plug boots. I'd buy new boots (typically they are cheap) and new spark plugs and install both. The reason I would install new spark plugs too, is because the old plug's ceramic gets dirty and coated with carbon and if you don't clean them really well, the new boots won't seal and you'll end up in the same situation. Clean everything really well with grease and wax remover. Especially where those boots go on the coil rail. If you just replace the spark plugs, the boots will have taken a set to the old spark plugs and for that reason they won't seal well. That may be the situation you have now. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
JayBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2019 at 6:11am
Cool, thanks!  Cheap troubleshooting works for me...lol.
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2019 at 1:04pm
One other item you may want to check is to make sure the injector wiring harness is hooked up correctly.  This was a problem I solved with a friends TJ years ago.  Similar problem, chasing a misfire issue.  Each injector has a set of wires, with a unique color for negative (I think the computer pulses negative).  Make sure the correct color is attached to the correct injector (example: is 5 and six swapped?).  For my friend, 2 & 3 were swapped.  You should be able to find a wiring diagram on the internet that shows the color assignment for each injector to verify your setup.
JayBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2019 at 1:25am
Thanks, I'll look into that.
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 4:18am
On our '01 TJ we kept getting #4 miss fire code.  Ended up I got a new coil bar and solved the problem.

You might get more response by asking on the Wrangler tj forum.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
 Post Reply Post Reply