Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A 1947 CJ2A a DIY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A 1947 CJ2A a DIY
    Posted: 26 July 2018 at 2:32pm
I found these via a post on a facebook page to a link to a craigslist ad....it is from Belen New Mexico...had a fellow that lived just down the street that was into Jeep and he stored it in his yard until I could get it shipped....it took a month to get it out in the East Coast where I live...my goal is to fix what is broken and see how it is to drive around town where I live...I have been told that in order to really experience the whole Jeep thing you need to drive one with no top and even better with glass folded down on the hood...the last "Pile" I had was a 1947 with full steel top with doors...not a fun rig to drive....too loud and too slow...never felt safe in it either...this guy has 2 more cylinders under the hood and a full cage over my head too...
so I told myself I was not going to pull the tub off and low and behold...it is not really off but more or less lifted a tad so I could get the transmission out of it...we had issues with a clutch...

I am thinking the old Cob salad has old CJ5 parts in it...Buick V6 and aluminum bellhousing too...

this is the clutch slave cylinder that they "cobbed" onto the side of the T90A transmission...

been posting some of the daily stuff on the "what did you do to your Jeep today"....so I figured I would start a build thread...hoping this will not be a long-term deal...wanna get it up and running vehicle...

Edited by mikec4193 - 03 Dec. 2018 at 8:13pm
I am the squirrel....
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 2:44pm
Hi Mike,

I hear you on getting it up and running! That's the best part Wink I noticed your location, I worked for a couple years up at the Global Foundries semi conductor plant.... We used to hang around Saratoga alot, great area!! Hope you will be on the trail soonSmile
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 4:42pm
The windshield goes up? Stern Smile LOL

Yup, that bell housing looks "familiar"...  
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

Hi Mike,

I hear you on getting it up and running! That's the best part Wink I noticed your location, I worked for a couple years up at the Global Foundries semi conductor plant.... We used to hang around Saratoga alot, great area!! Hope you will be on the trail soonSmile

Yuppers Global is right across the street from my house...that was the nail in the coffin for my town...our dark sky is now always lit up by 24/7 parking lot lights...traffic gone up at least 50% since it opened...we use to 4 wheel  in the "Luther Forest" back in the early 1980s' with our truck and cars...I had a 1972 Datsun truck at the time....the good part about this I only have 4 years left in this area...then I am off to Kansas where my son and his family are living...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by mikec4193 mikec4193 wrote:

Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

Hi Mike,

Yuppers Global is right across the street from my house...that was the nail in the coffin for my town...our dark sky is now always lit up by 24/7 parking lot lights...traffic gone up at least 50% since it opened...we use to 4 wheel  in the "Luther Forest" back in the early 1980s' with our truck and cars...I had a 1972 Datsun truck at the time....the good part about this I only have 4 years left in this area...then I am off to Kansas where my son and his family are living...

MikeC

I'm sorry, that's terrible... God only knows what's happening to the ground water and air from places like that Confused  Kansas sounds like a good place to be, especially if it brings you closer to family.  MANY people are leaving CT/NY for greener pastures.
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 1:06am
Been putting the ole cob salad on a little bit of a diet...

someone did dual shocks on each wheel....

now we have spares....rear quarter needed some work too...so before shown here

spent a couple hours doing some metal stitching....so now we look like this below...

next up the 4x4 by 1/4" steel rear bumper...I wanna take some of it off the back side of it...I got 2 slits cut on the back side...my next night off hoping to cut the back wall off...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 4:04am
Gee, only three different colors?  Big smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2018 at 1:21am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Gee, only three different colors?  Big smile

You're gonna make him feel deprived.  LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2018 at 3:00am
Three colors means only two Bubbas had it before him.  Big smile
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2018 at 3:56am
I'm an old Jeep guy and our old MB was orange. I spent many weeks out there taking layers of paint off of it. I think I counted 8 colors on it. My mother said purple. You know how mothers are, it was purple. A few years later we decided it was to be a medium blue. My brother is over there spraying the and I am standing there with my father. Both of the tire service trucks have blue speckles on trucks that were painted in Michelin colors. Crap, I'm on top of the trucks wiping the blue off of them with some thinner. Dad is there too. When we sold it, it was blue
uncamonkey
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 12:23am
Had the night off from the second job....broke 2 sawzall blades and 2 angle grinder discs....

the previous owner rebuilt it like a tank....I am trying to get the old Jeep on a diet....these were parts of the 4x4 steel tubes that they welded to the front and back of it....also...2 shocks on each wheel...now it has 1 wheel and 1 shock on each corner....

I think is kinda funny...I keep finding parts on the "Summit Racing" website....
the only racing on this Jeep is maybe the cast aluminum wheels on it which we are going back to a stock size wheel and tire as soon as I get the tires ordered....
this is the new clutch master cylinder we are replacing one that looks just like it but in really rough shape...rather safe than sorry that is for sure....
I think I am going to have to stick one of those "Summit Racing" stickers on the body some where...

I saw this trick on here yesterday...had to do one for the salad...now when we shoehorn it back into the underside of this rig no levers sticking out to get caught on... 

MikeC

Edited by mikec4193 - 03 Aug. 2018 at 1:55pm
I am the squirrel....
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 3:21pm
Got the clutch in the mail last week...starting lining stuff up...pilot bushing is too small...spent 2 nights with emery paper doing the sanding to get the ID to fit the transmission output shaft to fit...then came the clutch plate...does not look like it is the same as the one I took off....I bought a clutch kit for 1977 Buick Skyhawk...now I gotta figure out the plate plate...also got a package from Novak adapters for the clutch cylinder that they sell...dropped off the old hand built fuel tank to get rebuilt...the old "original" plate is shown below...

can't wait to figure it out and get this salad on the road again...

Ordered another clutch plate....this one is for CJ5 that came with a V6...hoping it will work this time around...

MikeC

Edited by mikec4193 - 07 Aug. 2018 at 3:51pm
I am the squirrel....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2018 at 4:36am
Progress is progress, right?  Thumbs Up
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2018 at 3:06am

I saw this trick on here yesterday...had to do one for the salad...now when we shoehorn it back into the underside of this rig no levers sticking out to get caught on... 

MikeC

Make sure and put the t-case  shift lever Pin  back in (without the levers of course )before you put it back into the jeep, on my jeep there wasn’t enough room to stick the pin back through the hole  with installed  because the tub was in the way. 
[/QUOTE]
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 8:50pm
From what I have been reading on here 215/85/16 are very close in size to the original Willys Jeep tires...so I found this place Tread Wright tires...ordered 4 of them for yea ole Salad...

so we mounted them up on 4 old Willys Steel wheels I found from a fellow on facebook who was selling them in Texas...

I put them on the Jeep this afternoon

shown here...

Still trying to figure out the transmission install...I got the clutch in place and tried for 2 nights to get the transmission and transfer case in alone....finally talked to a couple guys in a Willys facebook site and they told me to separate the transmission from the transfer case...that did not go well at all...ended up with roller bearings on the transmission case....I shipped it off to a real mechanic and he is reassembling it but in separate ways...still not sure what I am doing but round 2 should be this week sometime...

MikeC

Edited by mikec4193 - 19 Aug. 2018 at 8:52pm
I am the squirrel....
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 9:57pm
Very sorry to hear of your woes. Read up as to how you cut the heads off of 2 bolts and use them for guides into the bellhousing to get the transmission to line up. I rebuilt a T90 twice in a Jeep while it was still in, and I had to do the rear axle once. Waaaay to much motor in the thing. I certainly don't claim to know everything and today's question was about how to fix a dragging front door on a house and don't ask about how I destroyed 8 grade 8 bolts on a Powerlock.
uncamonkey
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2018 at 11:46pm
We got the 4 new Treadwright tires mounted....we couldn't get them to balance worth a darn...
Not sure what that balancing tire deal is but...hoping it wont make a huge difference....

Swapped out the clutch cylinder with a new one from Summit Racing (the old one is still in place here)....I still have to laugh...summit racing parts on Willys Jeep....how crazy is that.???...got both of these from Summit Racing...

We had ordered a hydraulic clutch cylinder kit from the fine folks at Novak...not cheap but quality is never cheap...

I finally got the 1977 Buick Skyhawk clutch and pressure plate...since I will be laying on my back doing this job...I figured get the bell housing in at least and then
some of the Novak clutch stuff too...

Still not sure what I am doing...hoping the mechanic get reassemble the transmission and transfer case...I need everything together but also apart so I can lift each one up on my own...

Edited by mikec4193 - 23 Aug. 2018 at 11:48pm
I am the squirrel....
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 12:24am
They appear to be recaps on new casings......that would explain the cheaper price and the balancing problems as well.

Maybe Joe Friday will check in later and 'give us the facts'.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>