Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A 49 year 1955 CJ 3B build thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A 49 year 1955 CJ 3B build thread
    Posted: 25 Jan. 2021 at 2:49am

WARNING!  The following content may not be suitable for all audiences. 

Perhaps the title of this should be  “A 3B runs through it” with my apologies to Norman MacLean.  This is a much condensed 49 year build thread or how a stock 3B became something a little different.  Restoration purists should run for the exits NOW.

I have broken down the history of my 3B in roughly 5 different configurations, the last of which remains to be finished.

Version 1.0: I bought the 3B in 1972 because I had ended up wheels up in my CJ5 and needed a quick Jeep fix. My opinion of 3B's at that time was that they were as ugly as ugly gets but that wasn't the determining factor in the purchase. For $500 I got a completely stock (except for the snow plow mounting) Willys with 26K miles on it. The bed was beat to near oblivion and all the usual spots were rusted out. The Willys had been owned by a machine shop and they had fish plated the outside of the fame up front with a second plate covering the front spring hanger position, and boxed the frame horns for a shop built snow plow using a Meyers lift.  The lift was mounted on a 6x10x1/2” angle plug welded over the stock bumper.  Under that machine shop yellow resided President red.  The only photo I have of Version 1.0:

Machine shop fish plating

Ver 1.0 lasted about a year and a half, making several 600 mile trips to Ft Collins, CO and back to Montana  before I burned an exhaust valve trying to pull a SMALL U-Haul trailer from Denver to Bozeman.  Between Casper and Midwest, there was a strong headwind and for most of that, I couldn't get out of 2nd gear.  Some of that stretch of I25 was still 2 lane at that time.  There was no way I wanted to rebuild the F head (sorry guys) and hence I tripped down that slippery modification slope. 

Ver 2.0:  A Chevy 327 was put together from mostly stock parts over the following winter, including the 62 block and high performance heads, Crane solid lifer cam, 1968 302 GM Winters manifold and a 650 Holley.  I used the T90J main drive gear and the Advanced Adapters long adapter.  The 9" brakes and Ross box remained along with the rest of the stock components.  A used/repaired CJ 5 Whitco top replaced the factory ½ cab soft top and duct tape. 

Ver 2.0

The back story on these photos was a fateful trip to Ft Collins in November 1974 to get hitched. The 3B at that time was completely stock except for the 327, my 67 CJ 5 stock wheels, and the ill fitting CJ5 Whitco top. The B was actually trying to tell me something when it emitted a big crunch sound about 40 miles north of Ft Collins. With the engine dead and no starter engagement. I drifted off the shoulder of I25 and stopped. I didn't even need to open the hood to know what happened-the antifreeze draining from the window in the left side of the block said it all. A forensic tear down back in Bozeman exhibited a pretty big crack at the bottom of #5 cylinder-chalk one up to an early 4" block at .030 over.

So the hitching event went off as planned a couple of days later and in the meantime I searched in vain for a rental truck almost all the way to Denver. The next option was to find a flatbed truck and the 53 B4D was in the classified for $450. It seemed to run ok so changed the oil, lubed, and loaded the 3B on the back-the only time 3B has never been on its own wheels while I've owned it. The trip back to Bozeman was long (flathead 230 power) but completely uneventful.  That truck basically paid for its self that trip but it hauled many loads of firewood in the ensuing years.  But I digress.

And that hitch job lasted about a year--------

Ver 3.0:  Following the self-destruct of the 327 in the fall of 1974, I decided it was time to do a frame off and make most of the rig the way I actually wanted it.  That project spread out over the next 4 years and included a job relocation to Utah and back.  I didn't get a whole lot done on the B in Utah.  Ver 3.0 included a boxed frame with a new cross member under the radiator, Saginaw manual C3 (Corvette) sector box and 1 piece tie rod, 11 gallon Con-Fer rear tank, relocated battery, 1970 350 LT 1 engine (more or less stock except for the Sig Erson camshaft), Chevy truck radiator, Muncie M20 transmission with Advanced Adapter tail housing/mainshaft, 19 spline full float Powr-Loked rear D44, 11x2 Bendix brakes, and fiberglass tub with a steel tube subframe and fiberglass fenders.  The Warn overdrive and winch also went on at that time.  The D18 and D25 remained stock.  I was going to use an aftermarket steel hood (MD Juan?) but it fit so poorly I ran sans hood for a couple of years before putting together a Saturday night special with a fiberglass skin over an aluminum frame work.  The Saturday night special lasted about 25 years and its basic aluminum frame work is still under the current hood.

Since I started with a blank piece of paper with the fiberglass tub (which was a 3A tub and in 3 separate pieces-the floor, tub shell, and firewall; all of which needed laminated together with the extended cowl and firewall), I built in wheel well storage compartments and boxed the entire right side of the dash off for a large glove box. 

3.0:

The Ver 3.0 engine was pretty short lived.  That 350 was just nasty with 5.38 gears on the street but it didn't really appreciate low rpm rock.  Its replacement was initiated within a year but in the meantime, I dumbed it down with a Performer cam, a set of 76cc 194 truck heads, and a 650 cfm Holley.  That revised engine rendition would have likely sufficed but the replacement 381 project was already in progress.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2021 at 3:03am

Ver 4.0 was long lived, from 1984 through 2014.  The 350 was replaced by the 381.  I recall wandering through a rather large warehouse in Denver-all small bock Chevy blocks.  I was looking for a well centered 4 bolt with minimal cylinder wear and found a nice one.  It cleaned up at .020 over.  The crank was a stock 400 with turned mains and I used the 5.565” 400 rods TRW flat top forged 350 pistons, along with the 194 truck heads.  Also going in at that time were 4 wheel power disc brakes, Ranch 2 1/2" springs, power steering, Modine 4 row cross flow brass radiator and a well fit shroud.  I don’t recall when the 3.15:1 Tera-Low gears hit the market but those were installed in a D20 case and in the Willys within a monthof hitting the market.  Perhaps there should be a 4.1 version when it received the Auto Gear Equipment M22-W transmission, an aluminum radiator about 2007 and shortly after, aluminum heads, Pro-Flo 2 EFI, and my fabricated 24.5 gallon rear tank.  I made the mistake of buying a 250 Magnum spool gun to go with my Lincoln MIG unit also at that time and shortly thereafter all the skid plates were replaced with aluminum and I welded up the new tire/door carrier.  About the same time the York based on-board air was installed along with the Premier Power Welder. 

AGE transmission-not much of a first gear but bullet proof.

381 engine/Pro-Flo 2

Late Ver 4.0 aluminum skinned hood

Skid plates

Ver 4.1

At the New Deal Mine cabin (McKelvey Lake trail) 1990

Below Cliff Lake (above McKelvey Lake) 1995.  The skiing was the chute coming off the ridge behind the Willys.

Revenue Flats about 1990.

At Sterling, MT 2014 with Chuck and Lynn.

In the final analysis, a 383 (or 381) makes a great Jeep engine, assuming you build it with low rpm torque as the primary design consideration.  That engine was perfectly happy at 300 rpm and only rarely did one need to hit the clutch even with a crappy CR around 37:1.  But after 30 years, it was getting a little tired. 

Ver 5.0 was initiated by the departure of the D25.  It was never if the D25 would fail, only a when and it finally happened in June 2014.  The short side shaft literally exploded and removed both the inner axle seal and the seal’s seat in the housing.  Initially I was just going to replace the shaft but finally decided to replace the entire axle with something that did not require driving like you had a raw egg under the skinny pedal or cringing just airing down the tires.  The project creep reared its ugly head and the engine, clutch, rear axle, and a host of other details joined the list.  Ver 5.0 should roll out in the next few months.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2021 at 10:36am
wow! Impressive build and hardware!! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2021 at 10:46pm
Sure didn't think we would show up in your build thread! Was only 6 years ago, but seems longer. Good times, and hope you get that "B" back together!Thumbs Up
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2021 at 1:45am
Thanks for sharing Clap
Looking forward to seeing it back together. 

1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2021 at 10:37pm
More Ver 4.1

Also in 2007, the 24.5 gal fuel tank was fabricated/installed.  I MIG welded it up out of 14 ga.  The filler was fabed from a surplus 50 psi Shaw gravity filler from some unknown application drop tank and a piece of exhaust tubing.  A couple of these photos were posted on Mark's thread.

Originally I had tank vents on 3 corners but one of those was repurposed for the fuel return line when the EFI went on.  Two was apparently more than enough.

The "dog house" is welded up from 1/8" 6061 and has both the rear diff breather and tip-over valve/vent plumbed in it.  The door is a modified CSI Chevy/GMC unit.

The skid plate, 1/8 5052, also mounts the tank.  It will need revisited before I put this back on the road as I did hit it hard enough to dent the tank bottom.  I'm going to add some 1/4" 6061 plate to the bottom.

The tire carrier went on at this time also.  I used the stock bolt pattern but the rear cross member was "out boarded" to gain a few gallons of extra fuel capacity.  The upper part of the carrier is supported by a thimble through the rear "body" panel tied into the frame mounted roll bar.  The soft top doors are retained by inserting the bottom of the door pin through the elk horns on the left with the upper door pins retained by spring loaded rollers on the right.  The door handles turn down to latch onto the triple extension bracket.  All tool/strap free and keeps the doors from getting scratched up.

There is actually enough room to install a 20T bottle jack in the carrier but that's something I have yet to do.  I also want make something to keep my welding cables on the inside of the spare tire.  Future projects that can wait.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2021 at 10:55pm
Very fun post to read.

In one of the pictures is a blue IH Scout across the street. It looks just like one I used to own when my two youngest kids were still kids. They nicknamed that Scout "The Moose" for some reason unknown to me, but we sure had some fun riding around in that old Moose.

I used to think the 3B was the ugliest Jeep ever made, but now I want one. It is just a symptom of the disease I have.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
DAAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2021 at 8:46pm
Hi, nice jeep project, I guess you will never sell! 
What is the story of the rear mounted fuel tank of version 3? Is this an off the shelf option?

Daan
1990 Mahindra
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2021 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by DAAN DAAN wrote:

Hi, nice jeep project, I guess you will never sell! 
What is the story of the rear mounted fuel tank of version 3? Is this an off the shelf option?

Daan

The version 3 fuel tank was an off-the-shelf Con-Fer 11 gallon steel tank with skid plate.  I used an intermediate (72-75) CJ 5 filler recess with it.  I'm not sure when those ceased being produced-quite some time back.  Other than the limited capacity, it worked well.  It is still taking up floor space in the shop.
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2021 at 11:00pm
A few photos of the Ver 4.0 hood details.  The Ver 4.0 hood is actually built on some of the "Saturday night special frame work".  1/8" wall rectangular tube comprises the main frame work with 1/8" 5052 sheet supports.  The skin is .062" 5052.

I wanted all the usual trail tools someplace readily available with tool free accessibility.  The jack, lug wrench, shovel, and ax are all held with spring loaded "brackets" while the jerry can spout just threads in with the usual 2" NPT threads.

Ax

Shovel.  The spring loaded cup keeps it in position.

Shovel base & jack (yep, stock jack).

Lug wrench.  There is a spring loaded plunger in the base of the tube that keeps the head secure in the bracket.  You just push it in a rotate to remove.

Spout holder

All those items have been in there for 15 years or so and have all worked well.  An added benefit is I have hood locks on it so all those trail tools are relatively secure from walking off when the Willys is parked someplace.
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2021 at 11:20pm
Had to read that one post a couple more times to finally get it that that was the bride! Thumbs Up
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 11:47pm
Evolution of the winch mounting:

The original mounting was just the 1/4" "L" plate Warn used with the early style winches.  I did notch the rear of the bumper for it.

Someplace near the end of Ver 3.0 I thought I could loose a couple pounds by fabricating the fairlead into the bumper and by cutting out the center and bottom of that mounting plate.  I reused the Warn fairlead rollers and shafts and put gussets on the upper bolt mounts to make up for the lost 1/4" plate.

That system actually worked well.  Perhaps we are getting ahead of ourselves here but the mounting was again modified for Ver 5.0 and the switch to an 8274 (more on that later).  I made the Ver 5.0 so it can accept either style of winch and also beefed up the back of the bumper.

When I disassembled the fairlead, I found I had bent the lower roller shaft.  I know I bent that by stringing the cable under the Willys for several reverse pulls which puts the entire winch load directly on the lower roller.  I reworked the fairlead to use 3/4" 4140 shafts and machined the rollers out of acetal copolymer.  I only left about 0.020 clearance between the rollers at the corners because I'm going to run rope on this.  The jury is still out on the flex under load versus clearance issue.

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2021 at 9:52pm
After 7 years, Version 5.0 is ready to fire up with the addition of another 10 gallons of gas.  Space deficit disorder indeed.

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2021 at 10:07pm
Wow ! New aluminum block engine and a new winch.
Some big changes.
You say you changed the front axle too ?
Is that an Aqualla grille ?

Edited by oldtime - 22 Dec. 2021 at 10:09pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2021 at 11:14am
Wow!!
Best use of massive 3B  under hood area ever!!!
What an awesome jeep!
Thanks for sharing 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2021 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Wow ! New aluminum block engine and a new winch.
Some big changes.
You say you changed the front axle too ?
Is that an Aqualla grille ?

Yep, Aqualu grill.  It knocked off about 20 lbs but was not without problems.  It measures 5/16" short and that missing height is in the section above the vertical portion of the fenders.  I set the mounts to make it the same overall height as the stock version and then had to space the fenders down.  The other problem it exhibited is that it was drilled for the earlier 3A headlight bezels and the B bezels didn't even cover the holes.  I made press-in inserts for those and welded from the back side.  A lot of messing around for something they are pretty proud of $ wise.

Front axle is a narrowed (to wide track CJ width) 78 F250 D44 housing with 1/2" wall tubes, Reid knuckles, Scout II spindles/hubs/discs, ARB, Yukon gears, and Dutchman 4340 shafts.

The winch isn't actually new.  It was a "freebe" from a neighbor.  He had been using it on a trailer with the clutch frozen up half engaged.  That increased the "pressure angle" of the upper spur gear teeth about half a tooth worth.  Warn makes you buy the entire upper housing to get that replacement gear.  It also received new brake linings and bearings.  Then I hybridized it with the 9.5 XP motor and a Zeon 12 contactor located behind the grill.  It has both a remote and "cab" controls.  The remote plugs into that Amphenol connector at the bottom right of the grill.  I ended up spending about $600 on it, not counting the Amsteel 3/8" rope.  IMO, money well spent.  Jesse Barta made the drum cover.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2021 at 8:58am
Yeah I figured it was a custom built up winch and it looks better/ more substantial than the new 8274-50.
I guess now you want me to have your old Bellevue ha ha ha !

I was considering an aqualla myself when I get to my last build but I’d probably prefer a reworked original tub.

Yes the 1953 change from Autolite to Hall headlamps complicated things. And to make the interchange worse yet there is the military headlight. My stainless Jewels grill is set up for military headlights and I need rework them to fit the civilian Autolite.
Would be better off if the grills were left blank.

Edited by oldtime - 24 Dec. 2021 at 9:00am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2021 at 11:04am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Would be better off if the grills were left blank.

That is exactly what I told Aqualu.

The engine ended up weighing 428 lbs fully dressed (alternator/PS pump/pulleys/belts/fan) but less the headers.  I sort of wish I could fast forward a few months to see what happens on the trails.  Not much of a snow year but more than I want to wheel in.
 Post Reply Post Reply