Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Better Grease Gun?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Better Grease Gun?
    Posted: 04 Oct. 2021 at 8:34pm
I haven't had to use a GG in years but now that I have a A2 it's mandatory.  Pulled out my old GG with a flex hose & filled it with some new age red wheel bearing grease and started putting it to the zerks.  The zerks all took the grease but the tip didn't want to come off the zerks real EZ so I'm wondering if folks know of better tips for these or a better GG to replace mine?
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
jeepdidwhat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdidwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2021 at 9:43pm
I got a quick release coupler by Lumax.  Part number is LX-1403.  The original coupler on my cheapy grease gun held onto the zerk so tight I thought I was going to break it off.

Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2021 at 10:01pm
New (old) grease gun just needs to be used to break it in a bit?
Some have a way to relieve pressure so it pulls off easier?
Or just buy another gadget.....Smile
1951 M38
1951 M100
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2021 at 10:17pm
  If it didn’t hang on you’d be griping that it slipped off or leaked. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2021 at 10:22pm
Yup, cheapo china made grease guns are famous for one or the other (can't get it on, can't get it off). Lucky it got grease into the joint.

Pretty sure even hand-held grease guns can generate several thousand PSI. Using eye protection is always a good idea.

Edited by Ron D - 04 Oct. 2021 at 10:51pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2021 at 10:57am
yep.  Too loose, the grease doesn't go in.  Too tight, and it may not come off.  I can't say this is a standard, but on my grease gun fitting the outer "sleeve" twists to increase (all the way in) or decrease the tension on the jaws.  I've got one grease gun that I actually had to put a pair of pliers on to loosen that sleeve. 

If yours is adjustable, you should be able to see a seam near the middle of the coupler.

Same type as what I have (should be available at any parts store and some big box stores):

I like the idea of just putting another coupler on the end of your grease gun.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Richard J View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2021 at 12:48pm
I have a lock & lube coupler and it works great on all my grease zerks.
Richard
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2021 at 10:06pm
Be careful. I’ve blasted grease into my fingers while lubing my Jeep. Turns out grease is sterile at least the new stuff that I injected into my hand. Was able to push most of it back out😂
DesertDog48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDog48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2021 at 11:46pm
I'm thinking if I could just get some grease in my finger and hand joints they'd work a lot better 😂.
48 CJ2A
83 CJ7 Lerado
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2021 at 9:35am
zerks for knees??
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2021 at 9:45am
Lock-n-Lube.  Screws right on to the end of the hose on your grease gun.  Squeeze a trigger to open the end of the fitting, easily slide it over the Zerk, release the trigger, which locks it on and then pump away.  When done pumping, squeeze the trigger and pop it off.  Got one for my backhoe, but I use one for just about every GG application now.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2021 at 1:02pm
unless it comes from Lincoln or Alemite the grease gun tips are crap quality, same with the grease fittings themselfs

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2021 at 10:00pm
Desert Dog. You might want to try Voltaren.  I have psoriatic arthritis and my wife has RA.  This stuff was prescription but now over the counter. Really helps the hands 

Bitz
DesertDog48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDog48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2021 at 12:20am
I've been noticing their ads. I will give it a try. Thanks!.
48 CJ2A
83 CJ7 Lerado
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2021 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Lee MN Lee MN wrote:

unless it comes from Lincoln or Alemite the grease gun tips are crap quality, same with the grease fittings themselfs

Lee
What’s the difference all the grease gun ends are made in china. Never heard of either one grease is overrated it just makes a mess.Clap
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2021 at 10:08am
I was in a Atwoods store the other day. They carried Lock-N-Lube couplings so I bought one and will give it a try.
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2021 at 11:34am
Just got a lock-n-lube  testing soon
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2021 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Grumpy1 Grumpy1 wrote:

Originally posted by Lee MN Lee MN wrote:

Lee

What’s the difference all the grease gun ends are made in china. Never heard of either one grease is overrated it just makes a mess.Clap

Well that certanly explains why you never grease anything and end up on the embarrassing end of the strap of shame 😂😂😂

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>