Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A few photos of the rig

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brengl1942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A few photos of the rig
    Posted: 05 Sep. 2021 at 4:04pm
I figured since I just signed up, I should do more than just ask for advice :). Here's some photos my wife and I had taken, in part to celebrate "finishing" the jeep, lol (they are never finished!). I know most of the folks here have stock-ish flat fenders. This one is more of a 'restomod' with an EFI Ford 2.3, CJ5 axles, disc brakes, and 32" tires. Don't worry, I intend to get it dirty and start developing the patina asap!

..and a more realistic scene LOLLOL

brengl1942 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brengl1942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2021 at 4:10pm
For reference, here is what I started with. It was in far worse condition than it appeared back then, it wasn't driveable except to barely get it around to my shed in the backyard at my old house. 

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2021 at 4:24pm
Nice!......how about an engine compartment pic, please.Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brengl1942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2021 at 5:48pm
I realized I didn't really have one of the engine bay since I finished it, so I went out and snapped one. I measured against the F-head that was in the jeep when I started, and this Mustang 2.3 is almost identical in size. However, the exhaust is on passenger side. I also deleted the power steering and everything else except an alternator. I modified the accessory bracket and flipped the tension pulley backwards to make it work. The ECU is in the glove box, it is running a PimpX ECU from Stinger Performance, based off MS3 but designed to be a direct swap for the factory Ford ECU. This allowed for deleting the MAF, EGR, and a few other emissions and accessory related things that were just in the way. 

Lots of photos from the whole build on my instagram @willys2point3 if anyone is interested.

Edited by brengl1942 - 05 Sep. 2021 at 5:53pm
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2021 at 6:36pm
Now THAT is interesting! Nice work.

It looks like your jeep came to you with the hood scoop, would the EFI 2.3 fit under a stock hood?
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2021 at 7:14pm
Great looking rig. Nice work
Mike in AZ
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2021 at 8:29pm
Very interested in your build. What year Mustang did the engine come from? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brengl1942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2021 at 10:08pm
@otto, yes the Ford engine would clear the stock hood I believe, but this jeep is a bit of a family heirloom and it's always had the hood scoop, so I kept the same hood and built a new scoop for it. Also due to an oversight when I built the frame, the radiator sits a couple of inches too high, and I had to cut out the hood to clearance that too, so it has a bit of a 'rat rod' vibe going on :). 

@wheelie, it's out of a '93 mustang. Little did I know at the time but the later 2.3 EFI mustang and ranger engines do not have the same bellhousing pattern as the older carb'd ones. They were made to fit a T-5 trans. My original plan was to use the Novak adapter after I had scored the correct depth 2.0 Pinto bellhousing, but it was completely different. I ended up having to fabricate my own bellhousing from scratch. That in itself was a whole separate "build"!
Folks tried to talk me out of sticking with the T-90, but for better or worse I went all-in with it. 

I started this thing back in 2015, and I have a very long build thread over at https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/brengl1942s-build-pops-jeep.2053842/ . All the gory details are in there. That forum has pretty much died now thanks to social media. 

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2021 at 7:57am
Great photos!
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2021 at 10:07pm
That's kind of why I asked. I have an adapter for the older 2.3. Haven't done the legwork to see what year they changed the bell pattern or if any of the EFI stiff can work on an earlier engine. I'll research it if/when the time comes. The old 2.3 was a good swap for the old jeeps but these engines are rather dated. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brengl1942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2021 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by wheelie wheelie wrote:

That's kind of why I asked. I have an adapter for the older 2.3. Haven't done the legwork to see what year they changed the bell pattern or if any of the EFI stiff can work on an earlier engine. I'll research it if/when the time comes. The old 2.3 was a good swap for the old jeeps but these engines are rather dated. 

If you do end up going with an older style 2.3, I have the correct early Pinto bellhousing for use with the Novak adapter, and I'd be willing to make a really good deal on it Big smile. They are fairly rare I believe. 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2021 at 2:36pm
And if you do go with that, please post a photo of what comes in the Novak adapter kit.

When I did mine I used an automatic but I (afterwards) bought a used "kit" from someone online just to put away for future use. I too, have one of the big hole Pinto bell housings. 

That said, I would just like to see what is actually supposed to come with the kit and what is involved with the t90 route.

I doubt I would ever use it but would like to know a little about it should I decide to get rid of the bell housing and pieces that I have with it.

Thanks!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2021 at 4:47pm
Just finished reading your thread over at Pirate.  Great job!  Thanks for sharing.

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
 Post Reply Post Reply