Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Ford GPW Joins The Family

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Ford GPW Joins The Family
    Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 7:10pm
My 6 year old has been asking for close to a year now "When am I going to get a Jeep?" I mean, don't all 6 year old's need a Jeep? In all seriousness he asks nearly everyday "Dad, can we go out and work on your Jeep?" I've been thinking about this for a while now. If he wants to work on a Jeep he might as well start working on his own.

Last week I finalized a deal on his first Jeep. It's a 1942 Ford GPW #70221. It has been sitting in the corner of a shed for 20 years now. All in all it's in fair shape for a jeep of its age. It's missing the transmission/transfer case and has an F-head sitting in place of the L-head. It does however have the original Dana 25 and 23 axles.

The body seems to be quite good. The hat channels are still mostly there and the body is fairly straight. It appears someone tried to streamline the drivers side of the tub. As you can see in the picture the axe groove is missing. A piece of sheet metal has been added that covers the axe groove and goes down over the fuel well. It also has a step that has been added to the back.

The frame needs a little attention as well. Both frame horns are pretty rough. The v-shaped piece at the back of the frame that the pintle hitch mounts to has been removed (I think to make room for that lovely step). One of the front spring perches for the back axle has been partially broke loose from the frame.

So here is the game plan as of right now. We will repair the frame and put a locked Dana 44 under the rear and a 27 under the front utilizing "stock replacement" springs. I am thinking we will go with a f-head engine using a Zenith side draft carburetor. A T90c and a big hole "Super 18" with Teralow gears will be mated to the engine.

As for the rest of the Jeep I am thinking it will be basically stock. I want to allow my son to be able to have something that he can build on over time and not something that has already been fully customized already.

This build will take some time. We will likely not get much done on it till next year sometime. I have projects that must get done before this. I also would like to not rush things and actually enjoy this project with my son as much as possible. This will be a build we will both remember our entire life.

I will post more pictures after we go get it dug out of the shed and get it brought home.

Edited by AKoller - 21 Oct. 2019 at 11:59pm
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 8:55pm
This is so cool!  You and Brennen have a great plan and are going to have a blast building it together.  
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2019 at 4:16am
Is that an MB tub there behind the GPW?  I can't quite tell if the tranny cover is a CJ item or not...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2019 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Is that an MB tub there behind the GPW?  I can't quite tell if the tranny cover is a CJ item or not...

That is actually a new full front floor replacement panel sitting on top of a pile of other stuff.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2019 at 6:47pm
What great project!    My sons did not ask for their own until they were about 15 years old.    You are getting an nice headstart.   It should be fun and very memorable,  as you said.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2019 at 11:34am
Looking forward to seeing this project! Congrats!!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2019 at 2:35pm
Great father son project, those desert dogs bring back memories. Keep the pictures coming

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2020 at 1:46am
This weekend we finally got around to getting Brennen’s Jeep home. He is really excited about this thing. It will be a long drawn out project but one we will enjoy. Brennen has one grandpa that is retiring this coming year and the other grandpa is retiring the following year and they both are looking forward to helping him out with it as well. We will do our best on keeping you all up to date with progress as it goes.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2020 at 1:50am

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2020 at 1:55am

It still has the factory axles front and rear.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2020 at 1:59am
Here is a video of us getting it out of the shed it’s been sitting in for the last 20 years.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YY0-iEFutic&t=19s
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2020 at 1:59pm
Already switched to NDTs?  I think maybe you and Brennen have been spending too much time watching Bam Bam and Grampa’s JeepSmile
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2020 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

Already switched to NDTs?  I think maybe you and Brennen have been spending too much time watching Bam Bam and Grampa’s JeepSmile

The wheels that were on it weren't included in the deal. some old M151 takeoffs were all I had laying around so I opened up the center on them and stuck them on.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2020 at 2:06am
While out looking at the Jeep more this evening I discovered that it still has the original F stamped GPW radiator. With a little help from Chasendeer I also learned it still has the original core. The wide span in the middle of the core that looks like it’s missing a tube is apparently what tells me that. Jay does seem to know Jeep parts.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2020 at 4:51am
Yep someone with a GPW may become your great friend!!

Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

While out looking at the Jeep more this evening I discovered that it still has the original F stamped GPW radiator. With a little help from Chasendeer I also learned it still has the original core. The wide span in the middle of the core that looks like it’s missing a tube is apparently what tells me that. Jay does seem to know Jeep parts.

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2020 at 2:03pm
Can't think of a cooler project to engage a mechanically-inclined, Jeep-loving kid. Congrats, and please keep us 2APage'ers updated on progress!
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
 Post Reply Post Reply