Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"A Jeep Can't Get Stuck"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teenage Jeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "A Jeep Can't Get Stuck"
    Posted: 12 Dec. 2006 at 11:55pm

My grandpa told me a story about him and the jeep i currently have.  His dad said that A jeep cant get stuck.  So the next day my grandpa set out  to prove my great grandpa wrong.  He took the jeep out on a country road.  Then he found the muddiest ditch(We actually got rain back then) he could and drove the jeep straight into it.  It ended up being hub deep in mud.  Well after the long walk back to town my grandpa told his dad what he'd done.  They grabbed the tow chains to rescue the jeep.  Lets just that my great grandpa wasn't to happy after waiding through the mud to free the jeep. 

1946 CJ2A #71123
jeepfreak81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepfreak81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2006 at 8:28am
My dad has seen the pictures from my YJ... he knows better then to say that LOL
1st Jeep, V8 YJ, A winch and a Foot... Trail Tested

2nd Jeep 1946 CJ2A 6 Cylinders - Time Tested and wheeled

2008 Hummer H3

1929 Model A Standard Coupe

1966 M416
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2006 at 12:06pm

My, rule for stuckidness is if you can get yourself out, you are only “delayed”.  If someone else has to get you out you’re officially “stuck”.

You ain’t off-roadin’ in if you a ain’t gettin’ “delayed” occasionally

Mark

Edited by Mark - 14 Dec. 2006 at 12:07pm
46 Column shift #24465
CathArf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CathArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2006 at 5:19pm
Oooohh,  yes they can. 

Cat
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Corndogs.....

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2006 at 4:43pm
 Yep, sure can. I was thinkin' of this thread while I was diggin' out the 3B yesterday-- Three times! Wish I could've gotten some pic's.  BW

But then, I guess I was only "delayed"LOL
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
georgebudney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgebudney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2006 at 7:39pm
The very first time I drove my '48 I got it stuck. Only after it was stuck did I learn that the front driverside hub did not work.
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2006 at 8:59am
I've stuck my 48 once, I've been delayed several times LOL! My wifes Sahara on the other hand, I've stuck real good twice, tore valve stems off both times(gotta rectify that problem, need new wheels or to weld pipe around valve stems). One of those times me and the three kids that were with me ended up walking over a mile to a friends house to get him and his tractor to pull us out. Ended up having to borrow a boat trailer wheel and tire to get it home(never have got around to putting a spare tire rack on it). But it's all fun!
Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

jimmilton View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2006 at 10:27am
I used to say that my '04 Rubicon could not get stuck.  I have managed to get out of a lot of "mud puddles."  But then I drove too slow through a bog of river mud and ended up sinking in mud all the way up to the lower edges of the doors.  I climbed onto the hood to catch the tow rope from my friend and managed to get pulled out without too much trouble.
Jim Milton
Tulsa, Oklahoma

1948 CJ2A # 207091 (http://picasaweb.google.com/jimmilton/CJ2A)
1948 CJ2A # 183249
2004 TJ Rubicon
Dave405 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave405 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2006 at 11:50am

It's a drag, man !
   How about a little one upmanship here. I once got an old CJ2A stuck in the middle a flat, open, dry field, honest engine ! You see it was like this, back when I was a young wipper snapper (anyone know just what IS a wipper snapper?) and I still imbibed in spirets, I went for a joy ride one evening. Now I'm not saying I was under the alcafluence of inkahchol, but the drunker I sat there the longer I got. Anyhoo, so I was out driving around chaseing beers, ah, deers, in the dark, in a field overgrowen with with hay about three feet high, I came to a screaching halt, litterly ! It seems I had run accross, again litterly, a set of field drags.
    For those of you city slickers not famialler with agriculturel equippment, this implement is also called a harrow and is used to brake up and smooth out the soil after plowing. It accomplishes this with numerous "C" shaped spring steel teeth fastened in rows in a frame. These are approximately 1 foot high but are agustable for depth by means of a lever approximately three feet high. These frames are usually attached in groups of three or more to "drag" arround behind a tractor (or Jeep ?). Today, the have mostly been replaced by a "disk" to do the same task.
    As you can imagine, this apparatus is not something one would wish to become impailed upon. Why this equipment was apparently abandoned where it was, will forever be a mistory to me. When I tryed to back up, one of the adjusters that had been flatened by my sideways mounting of this apperadis, became intangled with my exhaust system, removing same, thereby seriously damaging my "stealth mode". This necesitated a rather quick sobering up and and unstucked solution that involved a jack, the spare tire and some nice flat field stones, properly placed. All this done as surriptitiously as possible so as not to incure the rath of the indigenous, shotgun carring native.       So I quess I wasn't stuck at all, mearly delayed.             

Edited by Dave405 - 29 Dec. 2006 at 12:04pm
That's all I can stand, I can't stands no more !
dclear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dclear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2006 at 10:50pm
Reminds me of getting stuck in a "frost" boil in Korea.  We had a huge mudhole in the driveway leading to our tent, and we took to driving our Ford jeep out into the adjacent field to get around it since we knew that a number of vehicles, including a road scraper, had come to a halt there.  After all, it WAS winter and the ground was mostly solid.  Worked out fine.  Then, when our jeep dropped its clutch, we were issued a 3/4 ton Dodge Weapons carrier--large, wide, fat-tired, and heavy.

When we drove into the field to "miss" the mother of all mud holes the whole rig suddenly sank to the bottom of the tub.  All that surface held the thing from sinking any further, but beneath the thin crust, which had held up our jeep, all four wheels were spinning in a slurry of water, mud, and ice.  The 2 1/2 ton six by six we got to pull us out ended up in the same fix.  As I recall, by then, the "engineers" figured out what was happening, and brought in a cat with a cable.  We stranded a similar vehicle in Montana a couple of years later, and had to leave it till the boil dried up and we could drive it out.  This one was a long ways away from the engineers' help. 

Well, this isn't technically a jeep story, but if a 3/4 ton weapons carrier is not a jeep on steroids, I've never watched a professional football game. Being a light weight has its benefits, at times.

Gee--do they still have "frost boils" these days in the late winter,early spring?

Edited by dclear - 31 Dec. 2006 at 10:53pm
del clear

Together we can figure it out, after all, it's only a machine, if a man can build it, a man can fix it. {Author: bkruetz}
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2007 at 9:25am
As a testament to the assertion of this thread's topic, I will mention that I believe the transfer case low range by itself is a big reason that Jeeps get themselves out of places other vehicles become significantly "delayed".  For several years as a none-too-wise teen, I had the front axle shafts out for repair.  I still went all through the woods, crossing streams, and taking many dubious off-road routes just because it looked fun.  I found that the low range by itself, usually with a light touch on the gas, would get me through the muck and over obstacles that would have stopped a lesser vehicle.   In fact, I was never "delayed" (as long as having to replace a bursted flexible oil line in the woods doesn't count).  Big%20smile

Edited by samcj2a - 01 Jan. 2007 at 9:26am
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
jimmilton View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2007 at 11:56am
Dave405's story is somewhat similar to something that happened on my (city) street recently.  In the middle of the night, my wife and I heard a bang that could only be vehicle hitting vehicle.  I walked outside to find a 4x4 pickup truck (can't remember the make or model) sitting in the middle of the street next to a now-beat-up import sedan belonging to one of my neighbors.  I expected the pickup truck to drive off, but instead I heard the unmistakeable sound of a vehicle attempting to rock back and forth out of being stuck.  Half asleep, I watched this process with confusion and amusement until I finally realized that the collision had torn the front tire off of the rim.  The driver (who had heavily imbibed) thought she was stuck in the mud, but it turned out that she was stuck on her own tire.  She finally managed to get out of that "mud puddle" and drive about half a block before stopping in front of a neighbor's house and collapsing over the steering wheel, which is where the police found her shortly thereafter.
Jim Milton
Tulsa, Oklahoma

1948 CJ2A # 207091 (http://picasaweb.google.com/jimmilton/CJ2A)
1948 CJ2A # 183249
2004 TJ Rubicon
Dave405 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave405 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2007 at 9:47pm
You might say both of these experances were "harrowing"!
That's all I can stand, I can't stands no more !
 Post Reply Post Reply