Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A jeep named UH-OH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heviduty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A jeep named UH-OH
    Posted: 08 Feb. 2023 at 12:01am
Last year I trailered the old Jeep to elk camp. One day I decided to head south to where the sign for the “Malheur River Ford” 
was directing me.   Nobody wanted to ride along,but Dad suggested his wife go.  We climbed into the old Willys and off we went.  The sign at the blacktop said lookout and River Ford this way.  Well, that was the last sign.   We tossed a coin a few times and guessed a few more at road forks.
     As we decended into the river basin and neared the river, things took a turn for the worse.  I shoved the gearbox into low range before I had completely stopped. That’s a bad bad thing.   I heard what I was sure was gears blasting through the cast iron case and ricocheting off the rocks below and bashing up against the floor.   Damn, I jammed on the brakes.  Now, Willys Jeep brakes never really did stop them old Jeep’s they just had a tendency to somewhat impede forward momentum.  Anyway, we shook and ground to a stop.   I swear I could smell that old 90 weight gear oil that was surely leaking away.    There was a wide area ahead at the river edge so I gritted my teeth and eased down to where I was sure we were going to be for a very long time.    While the other campers knew where we went, there were no other vehicles in camp that could traverse the roads and rough terrain even if they tossed the same coin that we did.  
    I climbed out and suggested Charlotte dig some roots and collect berries.    I would get started on building a cabin.    
    I decided to take a quick peak under the Jeep.    
      Have you ever seen how a speedometer cable is made?  They take about a hundred feet of wire and tightly coil it around another wire and all this gets connected to the transfer case and back of the Speedometer.  What happened was the cable had gotten tangled with the front driveline and came unwound.    Then it ripped out of the case and was yanked out of the firewall where it balled up and hammered against the floor.   No real damage at all.    Nobody really needs a speedometer on a Willys anyway. 

Edited by Heviduty - 08 Feb. 2023 at 12:34am
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2023 at 7:01am
Look like this?

Rick Estes
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2023 at 7:19am
Pics of the cabin, or it didn't happen LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2023 at 9:07am
Nice story telling, makes me think you have read a lot of Patric McManus stories. Tongue

I had a speedometer cable come loose like that and boy did it make a noise. Totally unravelled it, and like you I thought something really bad had came apart.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2023 at 10:24am
Two man tent fever. One of his best.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2023 at 10:25am
Good one Gary!LOL
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Heviduty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heviduty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2023 at 10:26am
That pic looks pretty close. I write a short story almost every day. It started out as a quick text to my fishing buddies during the off season to keep them updated on happenings on and around the farm. The recipient list has grown a bit from there.   Some days not much happens so my ramblings take be a bit further afield and even out into some Jeep adventures.   I thought you guys might get a kick out of a few. 
 Post Reply Post Reply