Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 100101102103104 141>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2020 at 12:12am
YAHOO the air system works. As does the Air Horn the automatic shut off every thing. I need to tape up one joint (the main line from the compressor to the first manifold on the firewall).

So thats cool. Well except for the first test of the air horn at 90psi appears to have woke the wife up from her nap LOL. Good thing she was awake when the thing got to full pressure at 145PSI. CAUSE IT WAS DAMN LOUD. I still need to wire in a small electric pancake style horn so if I do not have the tanks pumped up I still have a horn.

And I have the Ground side of the battery cables and the last of the Grounding wires and cables to the electrical system connected.

I hope the ground cable running to the Master Disconnect switch isn't to long! You can see the 12ga ground cable coming from the Radio console directly to the Battery Post. Down on the hard to see Buss Bar are two 10ga wires grounding Headlights and Fog lights as well as the rest of the lighting in the Grill. Then there are two 6ga cables one running to the Grounding  Terminal on the Frame between the Air compressors Rely and the Battery. And the second one runs to the 50amp Anderson plug in the rear of the Jeep to provide a Ground for the Rear lights and the connection to my Trailer when I build it.

This shot shows the Master disconnect switch mounted in a temp panel (way easier to wire this up without the fender mounted and the switch mounts into the Fender) I still have two #1 cables to solder Anderson Plug ends on to and figure out how to stuff through the inner fender to reach the receptical  mounted to the outside of the inner fender. Going to have some help with this just to many things to try to wrestle at once.

All connections made to the Battery are either Copper or Brass. When I get to the point I am running CHUG around I will most likely spray a protective coating on all the connections.

Next up is the Oil pump clocking then I think I will tackle the Distributors. I have a Pair of IAT-4405 Vacuum advance distributors I plan on setting one up conventionally with the best points and condenser I can find (looking at what Accel offers) and the other will be a Petronix unit. I really wish I could figure out how to adapt an Adjustable 68 Mustang 200 L6 Vacuum advance to them but that bit of creativity will have to be down the road some time.

The plan is to run on the Petronix unit and carry the Points unit Vacuum packed and in a PVC tube as an emergency back up.

Now to keep my damn finger off the starter button until its ready to start. Don't want to rub off all that assembly lube until its time.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2020 at 12:15am
I have decided to Mount my Fuel Pressure Regulator Fuel Pressure gauge and a Fram canister style fuel filter on an Aluminum panel rather then to the inner fender. This will allow me to more easily remove the left fender for Valve adjustments and such.

I also need to figure out the plumbing for the PCV.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2020 at 1:25am
I was bored at work today so I made a list.

Safety upgrades

Headlights... Hella H4 65wt HD wiring & relays  Tail lights added 2nd light w/brighter bulbs Turn signals added
Brake lights Brighter Bulbs mechanical switch
4way Flashers added
4corner clearance lights LED that also 4way
Backup lights added 18watt LEDs dual switch
Fog lights

Brakes upgraded to Dual Master Cyl. 11 x 2" drums, braided lines. Residual pressure valves. Trimmer rubber padded pedal on bushed shaft.

Steering upgraded to Saginaw 525 manual box single Tierod/Drag link cross braced to right frame. Modern Ididit column w/Brogenson U jounts 3/4" DD shaft. Collapsible geometry

Tires upgraded to modern Radial design Mud and Snow rated Radials with excellent wet traction. 235/75R-15

Horn upgraded to 130dB Airhorn w/,130dB electric backup.

Mirrors dual 5" round on custom mounts right side Conical. Interior rear view mirror.

Defroster full lenght added

Wipers upgraded to 2spd. intermittent electric

Windshield Glass upgraded to modern laminated safety glass.

Suspension upgraded shackles and shackle mounts, improved U bolt plates and shock mounts.

Frame now CJ5 boxed Ft. & Rr. Tubular Rear crossmember HD front bumper mounts.

Tub has been upgraded to include tubular frame under floor, riser, along sides, steps
& rear valance. Additional tubular rock sliders for side protection. Rear Wheelhouse corners reinforced w/1/4" plate tied to rollbar.

ROLLBAR NHRA spec tubing full cover mounting plates grade 10.9 metric bolts.

Shoulder belts in front Lap belts in rear.

Fire extinguishers a pair of QD mounted 1A 10BC 2.5lb.

CB radio 7' antenna Garmin inReach satellite comm device.

Electrical system upgraded to 105amp Alt. Series 31 950CCA battery fully fused harness.

Think I've done a pretty good job of upgrading CHUGs safety for what I intend to do with it.

Edited by Mark W. - 12 Aug. 2020 at 3:39am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2020 at 3:46am
Little bit of cussing in the shop today. I had to drill out a couple of holes in the right inner fender for a couple of Battery cables to pass through to an Anderson plug mounted on the outside of the fender. And in the process the fender moved off the cloth i had protecting it and it ended up rubbing a nice 3/4" x 3/32" bare spot right through the paint on the lower edge of the fender right across from the hood latches. Its low enough even i can touch it up. To the guys who tell me once Chug is done ill be afraid to take it off road cause its to nice. At this point I am just hoping g to get it out of the shop in one piece. Got very little done on Chug but I got the new Dishwasher installed, all the winters wood pellets stored in the laundry room, the dam lawn mowed and some of the shop cleaned up.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 7:46pm
WOW I picked up two nice small Hella 111Db electric horns as back up to the 130Db Air horn I have. And I swear I can't find a place to mount them I am happy with. I really wanted them mounted in the grill somewhere but once I start working on that idea I keep running into problems. Maybe I'll have to run the wires and just mount them on the Inner fender once I get it in place. I wanted to keep them out of the way but all the good spots already have something else in the way.

I so want this done.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 9:27pm
I would suggest you dial back the OCD* to get it done, but I don't see that happening.  Smile

*Somebody once said it should be called "CDO" with the letters in alphabetical order, like they should be...  LOL

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 22 Aug. 2020 at 9:29pm
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 12:50am
OK fine OCD slightly adjusted. Here is where I ended up sticking them.

I still need to find some place for the Electric fan controller which I had hoped to put on the Battery hold down below where these horns are. As I now have an estimated date of Who knows when November I guess I deal with that later.

I also gooped up the last air fitting on my air system and tightened it down. It only takes a couple min to fill the system up to 145PSI. it shuts off automatically and then comes back on at 105PSI I do have a very slow leak or leaks as it took about 30 min to go from 145 to 105PSI I'll look into that some other time.

In the above photo you can kind of see the High Temp Dense foam I used to seal around the Radiator. Pretty happy with the way that came out. I need to put a couple more washers under the right side Radiator mounting studs as its leaning a little. Not sure if the Grill is off or the Radiator but the Grill is mostly bolted down so its easiest to just ad an 1/8" under the right side.

Edited by Mark W. - 23 Aug. 2020 at 1:09am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2020 at 4:46pm
HOt Dang just got a notice from Summit Racing the Flexalite fan control unit I ordered has been shipped (almost a 6 week back order) So when that gets here the last reason (I can think of) preventing me from putting the right fender in place will be done.

I got the Tailgate hinges squared away yesterday. And of course the 1/8" Aluminum plate I put on the inside of the gate causes the chain slots to be just enough misaligned to make it had to get a bolt or what ever between them to lock the gate in place.

I am planning on running a padlock on one side so that when I have the hard top on the tailgate is not an access point for thieves. The other side most likely some sort of spring clip. I am looking into the idea of using Cables for the gate supports rather then chain.  All depends on find some the correct length. Trying to figure out a simple adjustable link to fine tune it so the gate hangs exactly level to the bed.

Its been freckin hot here so not a lot of time in the shop. Which of course with a 3 day weekend I was hoping to get a bunch done.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2020 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I am looking into the idea of using Cables for the gate supports rather then chain.  All depends on find some the correct length. Trying to figure out a simple adjustable link to fine tune it so the gate hangs exactly level to the bed.

I used CJ7 stuff from (maybe) Quadratec...they are nice, with two fixed eyelet ends.

Just fab a simple right angle bracket and attach it wherever it takes to suit your levelness issues.

(cant get to my pics right now)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2020 at 11:44pm
I fiddled with a cable from NAPA but could not find a way to attach a hook that I liked so I went to ACE and fund a Stainless Steel Clothes line hook 5/16" thread and a small threaded closure carbiner also in stainless then scared up some small 380lb working load chain. The stainless parts were over 500lb working load. Then I can home and made a 1/2" 1020 steel rod with 1.125" of 5/16"-18t thread in one end and a slot that a chain link would fit in on the other. I then drilled a 15/64" hole through it at 90 degrees and pounded a section of Grade 8 bolt .240" D through it acting as a link to hold the chain. The results give me an adjustable (maybe .5" of adjustment to be safe) Hook and a very short chain. It rests well when the gate is up or down. And I I can sit on the gate with no apparent distress to anything. I'm going to see if there is a way to find a sleeve for the chain if nothing shows up the wife said she would sew me up something.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2020 at 11:50pm
That looks like it'd be a nice addition to the "Member Created Parts" subforum! If you were willing to sell them, that is. 

Edited by Rockgod1619 - 06 Sep. 2020 at 11:53pm
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2020 at 12:13am
Maybe later I have a number of things I have thought about offering for sale. But as I work 50+ hours a week 8 months out of the year. And have those honey do things we all have I like to spend my time working on CHUG Once Chug  the aluminum hard top and my off road camp trailer are finished and I have some time I'll most likely offer the items for sale.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2020 at 1:26am
A section of bicycle inner tube makes a nice sleeve.
It's enough to not chip the paint and reduce rattle.
1946 CJ2A 14098
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2020 at 3:59pm
So after the fun with fire evacuation. I'm way behind. I finally received the wi dshield locking bead tool I ordered. So once I can scare up some help to get the windshield back off Chug I will get back to work on installing the glass and the wipers, vent  and defroster. Hopefully next weekend.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2020 at 4:46pm
Did you attach the steering so you can move Chug easier in case there is another fire?

Interesting how those just popped up all over the place.  Read stories suggesting all kinds of possible reasons for them - land management issues, weather, death ray, vandalism, lightning or something else.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2020 at 12:53am
You forgot ARSON which a number of people were caught in the act.

No the steering is still not connected between the box and the bottom of the column. I don't want to do that just to pull it back apart to deal with the Header and the Oil pump both of which need to be finished up.

I'm going to pull the hood and fenders back off as well. If I ever get a chance to get back to work. Was hoping to finish putting the shop back together and finish the organizing I wanted to do since stuff had been moved out of the way. BUT no I get to work Saturday. OH well Sept and Oct tend to be heavy on the OT and mid Nov. unless something changes due to the fires I will start getting ready for my winter off. When I can actually get stuff done. Was hoping to be road worthy by 1st of the year so I could spend winter proper on the Aluminum hard top and a few other projects.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 1:35am
So today I got back to putting the glass in the windshield frame and all I can say is using 3M bedding compound was a HUGE mistake, I won't go into details as this is a family forum and I would have to use a bunch of my bad words to explain what a PITA this ended up being. Not to mention the hour + to clean up the bedding compound on all the paint etc.

The one bright spot was that once I got the thing in the gasket putting the locking bead in with the tool I bought was easy. I got two (due to an Amazon screw up with shipping) of these bead installers and have offered the second one as a loaner to the group.

I am now working on getting the rest of the stuff on the windshield frame installed. And of course with packing everything up to bug out (due to forest fires I can"t find all the little nuts and bolts. So another trip to the hardware store.

I did the window with the Bead on the inside I like the smooth exterior look.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 2:00am
tubular climbing webbing would work well as a sleeve for that smaller chain. i used webbing from old fall protection lanyards. i can send you some tubular climbing webbing if you wanted to try it out. or just buy a couple feet of it from an outdoor shop. you do need to cut it and melt the ends while squeezing it "open".

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 100101102103104 141>