Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 140>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 9:21pm
WOW MAJOR WHAT THE HELL

So today I get my stereo speakers mounted and make up the fancy speaker wires. I then fight the slightly to tight Console with the Radios into place and make the various connections. Then on to the instructions for the stereo to figure out how the Bluetooth phone stuff works and to bang on it until that works.

BUT the microphone doesn't DANG IT the most likely cause is it some how got unplugged from the back of the Stereo. So I tear into the Console to see if that's the case. I reach around the back of the Stereo and sure enough its about 1mm from being all the way in. SO I test it and make a call to the wife. All is working well Stereo sounds pretty good etc.

So I button the console back up (which means I reinstall the Power panel with all its chargers and stuff) And figure its ready to go..

I notice its like dinner time so I think hey we can run downtown in CHUG and grab dinner (thinking FISH AND CHIPS at the Irish pub). So I move the pickup out of the way and clean up my tools etc.

I then jump in and hit the starter button and NOTHING that sounds like it should happens. I look into the console and the little digital volt gauge is showing 12.5V so I try it again.

AND OUT COMES THE MAGIC SMOKE!!!!!! (insert you favorite cuss words here) so I quick grab the power connection to the console and pull it apart as well as the little power line that was supposed to maintain the settings on the stereo. So much for all the fuses!!!

I then go up and hit the Master Disconnect switch and the mount I made for it BROKE the epoxy holding to halves of it released.

SO no go to dinner tonight. And my plans for tomorrow appear to be changed.

On a side note I found a oil leak that was a big part of the oil under CHUG it was one of the lines going to the Spin on BY PASS filter adapter plate. SO I teflon taped that up. I adjusted the E Brake it was working well but I had to pull the handle out all the way. I also turned the Right Hood latch around it was not allowing the Hook to swing as clear of the Hood as I wanted.

Edited by Mark W. - 31 July 2021 at 9:30pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 10:03am
SO I woke up this morning and what the heck must have happened came to me. The wire in the Radio console that turned to smoke was the Stereos ground wire. I have the radio suite set up with its own power directly to the battery. But the Ground bypasses the Master Disconnect I have on the Ground side of the battery so that the Stereo can maintain its presets.

When I hit the starter button the Master Disconnect Switch must have been in the OFF position. So the only route to ground for the starter was through the Stereo and that little 18ga wire.

Not sure how to rewire this to be able to keep the presets. This might end up a PITA. We have dump trucks at work that don't  hold presets due to the Master Disconnect Switches.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 3:34pm
Battery Master Disconnect Switches should be the first thing on the positive battery terminal for safety. (I imagine this comment will open a can o'worms)

Every car stereo I ever saw needed power to hold on to presets, not ground. Yes, the radio still needs its ground connection for power to operate, so without a ground --- no power, and therefor no presets. Naturally, I'm not looking at your radio instruction poop-sheet either. Got to make sure it's hooked up the way the maker says. You don't have to run radio power through the master disconnect switch (if it was on the battery positive side where it belongs) so the radio will have juice all the time to hold up your presets.

With luck, the radio isn't smoked. It might have an internal fuse or circuit breaker.

Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 01 Aug. 2021 at 4:01pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2021 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I took the Masking tape I had protecting the door opening off and ended up with 3-4 small chips in the paint to be touched up.

I been looking for a rubber molding to fit over the edge to protect it as both the wife and I tend to drag their foot/shoe over the edge getting in and out. I'm thinking about trying that Flex seal tape....

Another option...

You might also want to look into a Google search of 'CJ5 door entry guards'....probably what I would consider...Kentrol makes some stainless steel ones that could be painted to match, painted black or left stainless.

Edited by rocnroll - 02 Aug. 2021 at 12:33pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2021 at 11:02pm
Hey thanks I been wondering where to get some of that. I figured I would have had to go to a car dealer for scraps.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2021 at 11:20pm
There are some YouTube videos comparing the XPEL brand vs 3M you might want to watch before deciding if you go that route.....I just wanted to show you the idea not so much the brand.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 8:40am
I'll do some looking for the youtubes I been wondering about if the material would be able to wrap around the door lip which would be a compound curve in some areas.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 8:49am
Oh got off work early yesterday and ran CHUG back into work to show some of the guys and our one gal. Then ran out to show an old neighbor who was really invested in my project and gave him and his wife a short ride.

So Chug now has 167 miles on the clock.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 8:20pm
Well interesting while the Ground wire to the Stereo made Magic smoke The 10 amp Fuse did not blow and when I just reconnected everything it still works.

SO I am going to reinsulate the ground wire that smoked (Huge PITA to replace the harness that is all soldered in) and run with it.

I think I will put a fuse in the ground wire so it doesn't smoke and if unnoticed cause a fire. But this whole thing has hurt my head ever since it happened.

Time to get ready for the Local Jeep Club Meeting tomorrow evening. And the Car Shows this Saturday.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2021 at 12:06am
Local Jeep Club meeting done. lots of interest in CHUG their big annual show is Sat. Which I will get to as soon as the Local Club show wraps up about 1:30pm.

CHUG now has 200 miles on the clock. The run into Salem for the meeting was at 55+ as I was running a little late.

42-43PSI oil at 2000 rpm 20 at idle.
Gear box temp after about 6 miles 160-170°
Water Temp rock steady at 185° (which is the thermostat installed)

Still can't keep my damn hat on. Tested out my Boonie hat that was a fail.

Trying to decide If I want to go to the Cruise in 13 block from my house tomorrow night or use the time to get ready for the Two car shows on Saturday.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2021 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

Battery Master Disconnect Switches should be the first thing on the positive battery terminal for safety. (I imagine this comment will open a can o'worms)

Every car stereo I ever saw needed power to hold on to presets, not ground. Yes, the radio still needs its ground connection for power to operate, so without a ground --- no power, and therefor no presets. Naturally, I'm not looking at your radio instruction poop-sheet either. Got to make sure it's hooked up the way the maker says. You don't have to run radio power through the master disconnect switch (if it was on the battery positive side where it belongs) so the radio will have juice all the time to hold up your presets.

With luck, the radio isn't smoked. It might have an internal fuse or circuit breaker.

Good luck!

That is exactly why my 3B battery disconnect is off the positive post.  I have a separate fused lead for the radio/stereo before the disconnect.  This is what mine looks like (battery is below the bed, behind the driver's seat).  The hot leads are yet to be connected in the photo.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Squishymonster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squishymonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2021 at 1:53pm
This whole vehicle is an incredible work of art. 

Yesterday while working I started at page one, and over the course of the day worked my way through the whole 119 pages. I was continoulsly like "holy crap, he's making that  custom too?!"

It seems clear (?) that you know where you are going with this build, and you know what you are gaining or losing with each fabrication decision. 

Most importantly, you are really making me want to get a giant mill ;)
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2021 at 9:28pm
More pics of chug please!!
Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2021 at 12:32am
first car show is in the morning I'll shoot a bunch then
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2021 at 12:50pm
SO my report from the first real car show and a Jeep Fest

The local car show put on by the car club that has been here in town since the early 60's was at one of the parks along the creek. Nice shady place.

My son and I got up early as I knew when the club says the gates open at 8 the place would be half full by 7:45 We got in line and were the 9th car to register. They wanted to put me next to the UGLY Rat Rod that has a Willys pickup cab. But I put an end to that. So then they give me a spot that is the firs tone people would see coming up from the Big Park across the creek on the walking path. That was just fine until that hauled over a giant PA speaker that starter playing music loud enough I couldn't have talked to anyone. SO another move where I ended up along the same path but far enough away it was background music instead of like being in the front row at a concert. 60 Belair Hardtop on one side and a T-Bucket roadster on the other. Once situated we went across to the main park and had a great breakfast from the local LIONS club.

We talked to dozens and dozens of people CHUG was extremely well received People were fascinated by the fact that I had done so much of the work myself. And then of course the conversations with people who had had a Willy's even two women who grew up driving jeeps to school.

I let a few little kids sit in the drivers seat all the time scared to death one of them would hit the horn button (145PSI in the air tanks would have made for a very loud horn honk LOL)

Lots of people took photos.

Ran into a few old friends.

And then the trophy's came. And they all went to the same boring everyone has seen cars they have for the last couple decades.

So I managed to wiggle my way out of the show and raced as fast as I could into the State Fair grounds in Salem (13 miles away) and headed to the SALEM JEEPFEST

waiting to turn into the Fairgrounds a left turn from a 4 lane with no turn lane I am watching my 6 when I see this goober in a mid sized pickup racing towards me while he in looking down. SO I unloaded about 30PSI of air into that Air horn under my battery and his head jerks up and the damn thing is swearing back and forth as he locks up his brakes. I was just ready to pop the clutch when he came to a stop.

All this in full view of the registration table SO I made quite and entrance LOL.

The had me park right by the registration table so everyone coming in would see CHUG. I later moved to a shadier place.  A gain talked to some real nice people. But it was clear I wouldn't be getting the oldest trophy as someone had trailered in a Beat to Death 43 GPW (I was told it was all he could do to get it in the gate and parked.

I did the flex ramp thing and made it 59" up the ramp 2nd place for 81" wheel bases

Had a young guy who has a You Tube Channel film CHUG and ask a bunch of questions. SO I expect CHUG will end up a famous influencer on youtube LOL.

He later couldn't get his jeep to start due to something about a chip in his key. I was no help.

So then I raced home took the wife out to dinner and after asked her if she wanted to just cruise around town some. She came up with the idea of heading to the daughters and her swapping places with my Grand Daughter Rowynn who figure she's on the short list for being CHUGs next owner. And we went on a drive around the country side. Stopping at my friend Robs place (1950 CJ3A 283 V8 in need of some valve work) and my grand daughter got to met his daughter who is just a grade ahead of Rowynn in school and the girls appeared to hit it off very well (they both need more socializing after this last messed up year).

And then we got to find out if CHUGs headlights worked. As it was getting dark. They do but the Brights while really lighting up things brighter don't seam to reach any father so I may need to do some adjusting.

SO that was my first big Car show day

The Fresh Air Intake is off as I can't reach the mixture and idle screws on the carb with it in place. Once I am happy with the tune I'll put it back.

With my first dash plaque on the Dash

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2021 at 11:32pm
Well a couple new mile stones first off CHUG now has 400 miles and the second is the first time I have run out of fuel.

Went to a local Mustang Clubs car show in the Morning. Had a great time Had to leave before the awards so don't know if CHUG won anything. Raced home and picked up the wife and raced up to my company picnic. Wife did not enjoy the open Willys at 55mph in 98 degree heat with her hair beating the crap out of her. Picnic was real good lots of the people at work got to see CHUG. Food was great.

Coming home just as we reach the top of the hill about to drop into town the engine sputters and we run out of gas. I coast over the top of the hill and we end up coasting to within 5 ft of the fuel pumps at the station at the bottom of the hill. I put 9.9 gallons of fuel in and CHUG fired right up.

SO even with the fancy no moving parts sending unit when the fuel gauge says 1/4 its on fumes.

I'll keep that in mind.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2021 at 3:53pm
Ordered a Bikini top from Soma motors in FL. Going with a Black Demin  version.. Looks like showers tomorrow morning so no car show for Chug. Maybe I can work on tuning the carb.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2021 at 6:08pm
Just catching up on your thread. You should be very proud. Your Jeep really looks fantastic! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 140>