Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 140>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2021 at 8:20pm
Thanks nofender still lots to do.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2021 at 12:46pm
Started fiddling with the carb tuning this morning. Changed the Idle Jet on the primary side and the emulsion tube on the Secondary side.

According to the "experts" the idle jet was to small causing the mixture screw to have to me much farther out then it should so I went from the .47mm jet to a .50mm jet I had. I think I could still go bigger so I ordered a .55mm and a .60mm (doubt I will need the .60mm)

I have no hesitation when I stomp on it (with no load) so I am getting a smooth transition Once I can do some test blasts down the hwy I can start working on the main jets. I'll be going about that old school looking at Plug insulator color. I should break down and buy a bunch of jets so I don't have to keep ordering them when I decide to change. There is one VW shop locally that has jets so I will try them first I guess. 

Of course now its raining so no test drive until that clears up.

Looks like its going to be a long slow process to get the carb tuning just right.

Edited by Mark W. - 21 Aug. 2021 at 12:52pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2021 at 2:45pm
Had to get my hair cut so I ran CHUG down to do that wasn't raining and was drying up a little plus the barber shop has a breezeway next to it I could park under.

I then ran it out the Hwy a little and it seams to be running a little smoother only took it to 50mph so don't know if I helped the Vacuum reading at cruise much.

Now trying to decide if I want to spend some found money on an Air/Fuel gauge.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 8:54pm
OK so my Innovate Motorsports #3924 Wide band Air/Fuel ratio gauge kit just showed up and it looks like it will fit very nicely. I will have to make a mount for it. going to put the gauge just above and to the left of my Tach most likely attach the mount to the Defroster Duct.

This gauge comes with the ability to connect it to a lap top for logging operations. Not sure if I will go to that much effort especially as it would not be logging the rpm or speed etc. I might just have the grand daughter ride with me and have her write down info on a chart.

I also decided to upgrade my Tach from the vintage Dixco (which I do love) to an AutoMeter 3996 0-6000rpm unit. It should fit right into my current cup and mount. The wiring will of course be the major PITA.

I also need to buy some various Weber jets to have on hand so the tuning process doesn't keep stopping for a week waiting for jets to show up in the mail.

Fingers Crossed big Car show this weekend.

OH the Bikini top I ordered showed up. Not real keen on the fit but with some work I am sure I can get it to stay on and do its' job.

o

Edited by Mark W. - 24 Aug. 2021 at 8:55pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2021 at 12:03am
So went to my first really big car show somewhere around 600 cars. So big I maybe saw 1/4 of them. Lots of great people. I helped  a number of people with who to source parts and services with their Willys projects.

I saw a Kaiser Darin sports car. It was a couple cars down the line from me. Had a really good talk with the owner when the show was winding down.

Should have worn a jacket going to the show 60mph at 7am was chilly this morning. Cable nut came off the throttle cable about half way there. At first I kind of freaked then it dawned on me I have a hand throttle so I used that. Once at the show I asked the guys next to me if they had any small Allen wrenches one of them did and I swapped a cable stop from the warm air intake and all was good.
The other thing that showed up is the brake lights want to stay on.i think due to the brake pedal arm spring relaxing a little bit. So I need to adjust the arm (i have a mechanical switch).

Still no trophy lol.

Edited by Mark W. - 29 Aug. 2021 at 5:25pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2021 at 10:36am
Finally made it to the cruise in night that happens at a Brew pup just 6 blocks from the house. We got there early and the wife wandered off to grab one of the outside tables while I talked to people. She got bored after we finished dinner (great pulled pork sandwich and onion rings for me) So I ran her home then went back of course I lost my up front parking spot but waited a while talking to a couple guys with Bronco's and a spot opened up so I moved. Talked to a bunch of neat people. I was amazed for as few cars (less then 80 I think) how many people were there.

Tomorrow a show about 20 miles from home but its an afternoon show so no early morning blast up the freeway.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2021 at 6:33pm
Great show it was a Honor Show 9/11 and service people type theme. In a nice city park with grass that had been watered so it wasn't a dust bowl. Not sure of the neighborhood they put me in next door was a RED Ford GT! nice guy they had to let him in via a different entrance as the main one he would have bottomed out on LOL. on the other side a beautiful 65 Corvair convertible)

Lots of people at this one as it sits in the middle of a HUGE urban housing area so lots of people were only a few blocks away.

Lots of nice people and AWESOME BBq Pulled Pork sandwich. I took my buddy that had helped me out last week. This time he didn't need to do any hiking to hardware stores.

It was an afternoon show and involved about a 12mile blast on the Freeway. Going down was not a problem on the way back had a big hill to climb with a Car carrier full of Teslas. trying to push me so I dropped to 2nd Over and ran it up to 3800rpm that pulled me away from him until we got to the down hill and he passed me LOL.

We had a great laugh at the mudder looking Wrangler on a trailer that passed us. No trailer for CHUG!

I need to get in and tighten up my front wheel bearings I got a little play when I move the tire in and out. Just enough to worry about.

After the show I came home got the wife and we went down to our local Irish Pub for dinner and they had my parking place right in front available we sat outside and talked with a bunch people about chug as they walked by and stopped to gawk. The owner said they were talking to the city about reserving the two parking spots in front (this is on Silvertons 171 year old Main Street) for food pickup only. But he said when I show up they will just let me park there.  The barkeepers and the owner are quite taken with CHUG.

After dinner the wife and I went on a little drive across the local covered bridge and to the Mt Angel Abbey (a Catholic college and retreat on a big hill in the middle of the valleys flat farm land) and then we drove back roads home.

I wanted to see how the headlights were and I'm going to use the hydraulic press to push the back of the buckets out about a 1/4" to make more room for the harness and then do some adjusting. Not real sure I like the H4 55/65 watt bulbs. I might go back to std 6014's

Wife said the Dinner and drive was just what she needed after a very stressful week at work.

This coming Week the Show is at the Mt Angel Oktoberfest on Sat morning. More then 300,000 people attend the Oktoberfest in Mt Angel over 4 days and while the show is only Saturday Morning. Pretty sure CHUG will be seen by one heck of a lot of people LOL. Its also the closest attraction to the main drag where all the food and entertainment is held so a LOT of people walk the 3 blocks to the Grade School where the show is held.

Best part is the FOOD I can be munching on all day LOL.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 1:50pm
SO due to it pissing down rain most of yesterday and being told I had to work (Ok so 5.5 hours at OT isn't that bad) I didn't go to the local Oktoberfest car show which I had intended to be my last show of the year.

Stayed up late last night got up late and decided to address the loose front wheel bearings in CHUG. I wanted to see what the manual said about this and found nothing. I went through my Ludel book and nothing about adjusting the Front bearings. Then in my copy of The Jeep Bible there was a good write up on tightening the bearing nuts. Then a 15min search for my special socket. Finally I got one side all done. And no more tiny play. Yet nice and smooth save for the brake drag.

(I'll print out a copy of the Wheel Bearing adjustment details and add it to my 3 ring binder that the Service manual has now become)

As a side note I got to get a good look at how the front shoes are wearing in. Looks like I have really good arch contact on all shoes.  Oh and nothings leaking in the new wheel cylinders.

I miss going to the Oktoberfest but poring down rain and an outdoor festival just don't jive.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 2:41pm
I sure miss the old Mt Angel Oktoberfest before it got so commercial.
 Beer was cheap, food was cheap, & crowds were smaller.

Same with the Sublimity harvest fest, it was MUCH better when it was a small local event up by town.

Edited by dasvis - 19 Sep. 2021 at 2:42pm
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 5:04pm
Mt Angel Oktoberfest is commercial? All of the food booths are community groups or charities. If you went to the beer garden when beer was cheap your a LOT older then I am LOL. As to smaller crowds go on Thursday evening when almost everyone there is local.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 5:05pm
Took chug out for a test drive after the wheel bearing adjustment and all seams to be as it should.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2021 at 5:05pm
OK a little up date. This last week I been working nights (well every other night due to rain) So I have some day time to do what I want. Friday I decided to make my biggest run to date and run up to Richard Darr's Place (Washougal Classic Jeep) for a visit and to show him CHUG. This involved about a 75 mile run with about half of it being Freeway. I started out about 10:45 and got to Richards at about 12:45 had to stop for gas once in Washougal before I headed up the river/mountain.

The first 20-25 min of the trip is the same route my wife takes to work. two lane county roads 55mph. I had no trouble maintaining that cruising speed. Then some through two stuff getting past Oregon City. And on to Interstate 205 known for crappy traffic and insane drivers. So I bumped it up to 60mph and a few times hit 65mph (about 2850 rpm) When I got close to the Bridge over the Columbia River I took time to make sure my Hat was screwed on extra tight. The crossing is known for some pretty good winds.

Always cracks me up the diversity of people who will wave at CHUG.

Off I 205 on to Hwy 14 in Washington state and a 60mph + Blast to Washougal. Where the SW gas gauge and Intellisensor sending unit (no moving parts) Was telling me I would be screwed if I tried to make up to Richards without a top off.

Got to Richards after a good half hour of sports car type road along the river.

We had a chat and he looked over CHUG we then left so I could take him out to lunch at the local Mercantile (gas station, Deli, Liquor store,mini mart, sportings goods and gun shop place).

As soon as we took off Richard looks at me and says well its not 60HP any more!!! I wasn't even trying to push it.

After lunch and checking out some of the old Winchesters for sale. We decided to run up into the hills a bit deeper.  After a couple miles of running up the canyon I spot this narrow gravel cut road heading steeply up the side of the canyon and I start powering up it. Well being I attached the step hill in 2nd OD (keep in mind I still have not solved the popping out of Direct problem) It didn't take long to run out of power. SO I stopped on the hill and reached over to shift into LOW range then I put it in 1st and then I amazed Richard with not rolling back even a tiny bit as I let out the clutch and let off the Brakes. He asked howed you do that I showed him the hand throttle on the shift knob assembly.

Any up the road we found a good place for a Photo opt and got a few shots of CHUG with the valley in the background

Richard wanted a Selfie so he grabbed this shot

We then went down the hill and stopped by to visit one of Richards customers who he had just finished a 53 Willys Pickup with 4.3 V6 and who also had Richard do a really nice MB a while back. We chatted for a while and then I had to pull the plug as I knew I would end up in Fri Rush hour traffic on the way home.

So I ran Richard home (not before stopping to grab this shot up the Washougal River

SO I drop Richard off and head off down the hill onto the 4 lane hwy past the 4runner that tried to wad itself all up over the center Jersey barrier and back across the Columbia into rush hour traffic. I even spent sometime in the Hammer lane LOL. The run back down to Canby Oregon was pretty uneventful though I did get close to 70mph a few times. Amazing how fast that little fuel tank runs dry when running 2800-3000rpm Plus the fill in Washington tripped off way before the tank was full. SO in Canby about 20miles from home I topped off again.

And into the garage nice as you please. And at 8:30pm I left for work. Got home about 3:30am and slept to noon. Now to run CHUG down to the self serve car was and clean the splashed mudd off the bottom of it.

Then a swing through a local cruise in.

Had a good day. Hope I have time to get the aluminum hard top done this winter as I will hate not being able to drive CHUG while it rains all winter.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2021 at 12:36pm
SO I found out one of my friends at work has a two post hoist in his garage!!!! and he only charges Beer for a few hours of hoist time.

SO fixing the Transfer case output leaks and reshimming the OD should take only a couple hours and be much easier.

To that end I ordered new output flanges for the transfercase from Walcks (it has been said he checks them for fit etc and his have very good reviews.

They showed up yesterday and I must say they certainly are nice examples of machine work. No co. name or part number on them so no idea where they were sourced.

I have also gotten seals from both Walcks and Ron Fitzpatrick (his are the double lip style)

I might not need the new flanges but I figured if I am going to drag CHUG 15 miles from home and have it up on a rack I best have everything I could possibly want to finish the job. Now to put the tool kit together.

We are in that rush rush time of year at work trying to get everything either paved or rocked before rain sets in. It looks like I will have a very hard time getting the winter off this year. We have 3.84 million square foot Amazon building to haul the materials for the base, floor and walls to They are actually moving a Cement plant to the site its so big to mix right on site. This will be the largest building in Oregon by far 5 stories tall. And with every buddy with a truck looking for drivers being able to sit on unemp for 3-4 months isn't likely to happen so I doubt much will get done on my Aluminum hard top and other winter project. OH well only 29 months to retirement.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2021 at 10:07pm
Great to see chug out in the wild!
Would be fun to drag race my f-head 2a against chug someday…. Not that I think I could win, just would be fun to race two blue Flatfenders!!

1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2021 at 8:08am
Thats funny Ben just the other day I was thinking about getting up a drag race with another Willys.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2021 at 11:19am
That would be like watching two tortoises, you could use a sundial to keep time 👍👍👍
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2021 at 8:45am
SO long time with no updates. Work has it appears decided to work me like a rented mule for the majority of the winter. So I doubt the Hard top will get done this winter as planned. I will end up with a bunch more money in my retirement fund (and might be able to retire 6 months earlier)

BUT today the weather isn't pissing down rain so I made arrangements with a buddy from work to run CHUG up to his place to get it up on his rack. I'm going to hopefully fix the OD and the transfercase leaks.

I been up since 6am getting ready. He'll be home at 1pm so going nuts waiting to leave.

OK story continued.

WOW trying to get the old seals out of the transfercase without any sort of proper seal puller was brutal. Like the first one took about an hour and a half. Then I messed up the new seal putting it in. SO had to do that over again. 2nd time only took about 45 min. Ended up putting the Old Flange back in as it was in very very good condition.

The rear took about 45 min again. used the new drive flange on the rear.

Then on to the OD. I forgot my micrometer and my buddy had none. SO I guessed at the shims and put in another about .030" Had to reuse the gasket as the two spares I took with me got oil soaked when the garden sprayer I use to fill my gear oil leaked all over the box I had them in.

NOW the results of all that work.

I still have to HOLD the OD lever all the way back to stay in Direct. Its like the shift plunger isn't long enough as I am going past the Detent. It is better then it was But still not where it should be.

As the first go round took almost 6.5 hours and it was coming up on 7:30pm I opted not to try to fix it at this time.

The good news is the 30 pack of beer was good enough my buddy said we can try it again anytime I want.

NEXT time I'll be prepared.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2021 at 12:26pm
Found a guy in Salem that is some what of a Weber Guru according to one of the British car part places that helped me with the intake manifold. I talked to him the other day and he seamed quite confident he could dial in my carb. He has an in house dyno and while not cheap. I'm going to keep this option on the table should my own tuning not result in the results I think are possible.

OH I now own 3 different seal pullers LOL.

Its supposed to stop raining here about Noon. And at 1:30 I need to run into work to pickup my Thanksgiving Turkey from the Boss. So hoping to take CHUG in.

I been reading up on how to tune the Weber both on line and in the Haynes Weber book I got a while back.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 140>