Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 124125126127128 141>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2022 at 8:21pm
OK I may have got excited a little to soon. Looks like the right side has a similar offset or angle. Until I get everything assembled I won't know exactly how much but it sure looks close to what I am seeing on the left side.

Now to figure out how to deal with it.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2022 at 8:24pm
What your seeing is not the skin of the top. Its an underlayer there will be a layer of .040" thick aluminum glued over top of what you are seeing. Its possible I won't paint it but I really don't want the PITA of polishing a bunch of aluminum all the time.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2022 at 1:01am
Well its now obvious I need to get the Whole rear section assembled and on CHUG I went out and with nothing more then a 1/8" shim under the outside of the rear corner on the left side wall got the Door to pretty much all line up. Not sure where the offset is but I can clearly see now trying to work out the doors using just the side walls was not the smart move. So hoping the neighbor guy isn't working tomorrow and I can bribe him to come over and help heft the roof section in place. That's going to be super fun!

Its amazing to me how little it takes to move the top of the jam so far. And I realize its the angular extension.  Once I get the Roof section on then I can really get things figured out.

This is why I tape things together first. So I don't have to throw away $100 in Aluminum cause I made it to short LOL.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2022 at 2:33pm
OK awesome just talked with TAP Plastic's and the guy there says that with a window as large as my door windows will be twisting it so that the upper forward corner is 3/4" off the plane of the other three will not be a problem. He says the Polycarbonte will easily flex that much and then when released return to flat (This is important because I plane to store the Door Windows when not in place in channels above and below the side windows)

So now all I have to do is figure out how to best angle my frame work. The bottom of the three horizontal tubes does not have to change at all the Middle enough to move the frame at the Jam about 1/4" and the Top tube has to move the Jam about 3/4". Time to go figure this little problem out.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2022 at 9:19pm
OK I knew if I stared at the problem long enough and then beat my head against it for a while I would come up with something to make it work.

I first tried small pieces of shim stock between the upper and middle tubes and the Rear vertical tube that attaches to the hinge. This resulted in a much improved angle and the front piece of the door almost lining up with the jam (good in middle still out 1/8" at top)

But I didn't see how having something as small as .010" x .125" x 1" as part of the door structure as a good idea (the top shim was about .038 x .125 x 1") the bolt holding the top rear corner together where the shim was inserted was barely able to handle the offset.

SO 2nd try I shaved the Tube tube end to about a 3° angle. This also got me within 1/8" of where I wanted the Top tube to hit the front door jam I also relieved the Bolt hole in the Hinge Tube a little bit to allow the bolt to angle more. This resulted in a better fit at this joint. I also figured out that if I made the tiniest mistake trying to sharpen the angle I would end up with the Top Tube being to short.

SO more head banging and staring.

I think I now have the solution. I will use my milling machine to cut the rear angle this will result in it being exactly square and exactly at the angle I need (I want a little bit of positive engagement with the Jam at the top front corners to help hold it tight as its the farthest point away from the Door latch) But I am going to do it on a section of tubing roughly 1/2 the total length of the Top Tube. Then I am going to cut a section of tube that will exactly match where I want the jam to sit. And when both of those "ends" are cut I will come back in and cut one of them exactly the correct length to complete the tube Being this is very easy to do down to a couple thousands on the milling machine. I can jam a 2" long Micarta insert in the joint and run a cross pin to lock the two pieces together. And as this will have a layer of 1/8" Aluminum pop riveted over top of it the results will be plenty strong enough for the top of the door window.

I'll do the same with the middle Tube but us a short piece like 3" for the fancy angle cut. I have lots of scrap in short lengths that can be used for trial and error if need be. This way I don't have to replicate all the work already done on the Bottom and Middle tubes and the short cross pieces.

Edited by Mark W. - 21 Apr. 2022 at 12:55am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2022 at 2:45pm
Wow not real sure how I did it but I have the upper half of the drivers door aligned the way I wanted it to. At full rest with no pressure on it the full length of the Jam along the windshield frame LAYS flat against the jam. I have the Micarta block that the locks will fit into in place and had to do some Epoxy putty work to level them out due to the "twist in the Door" but that came out well I now know to expect that on the Pass side and will off set the block in such a way to avoid the Epoxy putty and all that work.

I just got a warning message from the dispatcher that we will be back to work here soon. SO I'm hoping to get the Pass side door squared away this weekend. Then I can figure out what to do about the bottoms.

Oh and I got the drivers door squared away without having to resort to cutting and splicing the Tubes.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2022 at 7:08pm
OK both doors aligned well enough to need the top finished before I can finalize a few things. SO a bunch of photos. Neighbor guy Tyler came over and helped put the lid on it. So now I have the big chore of figuring out the front of the Roof and overhead center console to figure out.

These two photos show the Drivers Side door lock. Works just like a pickup truck tool box or utility box door latch with the addition of a knob on the inside to open from inside. You can see the Dead Bolt hole (the 3/4" D hole) just below it. I will also have a spring loaded sliding bar lock that will act as a lock for when someone is inside. Cause both the other locks will only work from the outside. The sliding bar lock will also be the safety latch for these being suicide doors.

Outside

Inside

Drivers door closed (well the top half of the door anyway)

Passenger door all the way open to show how it will lay against the side of the tub.

Showing where the Overhead console will be and the main supports for the front roof section

Rear view. I will have to move the CB and AM/FM antennas up onto the rear of the top. I don't have the Rear hatch in I'll get around to that in the next day or so.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2022 at 5:49pm
OK funs over the wife had to go talk to the neighbor who is my dispatcher at work. And sure enough he got to thinking and I'm back to work tomorrow. SO now expect the Hard top to drag out half the summer before its completed. I'll be luck to make the 4th of July as a weekend to paint. OH well I knew all I could hope for was this week to work on it. Of course thats equal to about 4 weekends.

Working on the front section of the roof now.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2022 at 11:54pm
Yep 11 hours Tuesday 7.75 today most likely 10 tomorrow and friday. This work sh*t is really getting in the way.

And then Friday night I have to race over to the coast to spend the weekend with the wife. She's already there. So I won't get any quality shop time until the 7th!!!!

I may go into some sort of withdrawal.

I got smart though and took stock of what I might need for the next time I get to work on the Hard Top and placed an order with McMaster Carr so it will be here waiting for me.

I came up with an interesting way to create the leading edge of the top (above the windshield) I am using the left over half of the 2" tube I cut in half lengthwise to make the Defroster tube. And using tiny 3/32" D x 3/16" long blind head solid Aluminum aircraft rivets I am going to rivet a little less then 1/4 of the tube (around the circumference) to a piece of 3" wide 1/8"T aluminum that will sit on top of the rag top channel and then be riveted to another piece that will lay on top of the frame work with the ribs riveted to it. I know hard to describe. In oh say 2 weeks I should have photos.

This will give me a nice clean 1" radius to wrap the .040" skin over.  Nothing like setting almost 100 of these little rivets with a tiny 4ounce Ball pen hammer and my 80lb saw anvil (its a huge 80lb block of Iron originally used to take the Set out of Mill Saw Blades before sharpening in one of the local saw mills). Luckily with my 14 years of making handmade knives I have a lot of experience peening pins and pocket knife rivets.

Still working on how on earth to do the forward corners I'm thinking I will do Micarta again but this time I'll be making it much smaller something like a 2" half ball. The curved corner pieces over the door will almost have to be made one at a time I'm thinking due to they will have a taper across their face unlike the ones in the rear corners and the top edges. Going to be lots of pattern making and free hand grinding to shape on the 2 X 72" Belt grinder.

OH and it looks like the Pass side of the windshield is about 1/4" closer to the rear then the Drivers side so I will need to figure out if I build to that or try something to force it square without screwing up the door jams.

Lots to play with in my head for the next week and a half.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 6:41pm
Dang it I was trying to get CHUG back on the road this weekend and I can't get the silly AIr/Fuel ratio gauge to calibrate. I guess I will have to plug it off and run without it. Pretty sure I have everything wired up correctly but when I start the calibration process it just flashes a single 8 on the display which is nothing like it should be doing. I know this isn't a normal Willys problem mostly likely I can find help here with. But I had to vent.

Got the carb back on and should be other wise ready to go. Have to scare up some help to get the Hard top project back off as it won't be finished enough to go with me to the Spring Fling at Mikes place Memorial Weekend. OH well.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 7:53pm
OK frustration under control. Went down to NAPA and after paying $20 for a $8.00 relay HOLY CRAP!!!

I hooked the A/F gauge all back up and ran through the calibration process and ended up with the gauge displaying the numbers it should with the O2 sensor hanging out in the fresh air. Now to reinstall it into the Collector and then figure out how to stuff all the crap back up under the dash and where to put the new relay which is bigger then the one I wanted to use.

Then I should be ready to crank CHUG up for the first time in 2022. Weather looks not terrible so I might even be able to get in a few miles. I do have 6.5 month old E-10 in it so that might be fun.

I have to get the Hard top off before leaving the shop with it though. hmm wonder what the neighbor is doing tomorrow morning.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 8:06pm
Well something going on wrong here. I'm trying to tune the Weber and it doesn't want to idle at less then 1500rpm. and is closer to 2000 with the base line settings for the Idle Mixture screw and the Idle speed screw.

Making me nuts.

I thought  it was possibly an air leak but that does not appear to be the problem.

OK so I pulled the carb off and DANG IT the gasket I used under the carb was not cut back along one edge and was holding a part of the crab linkage from its natural position. I think this was basically holding the primary open. Now is this the cause of the problem MAYBE is there another problem MAYBE. But I guess I have to put everything back together and find out. PITA.

Well time to make Sunday dinner and chill out. This is why I wanted to get CHUG fired back up 2 weekends before the Spring Fling.

I'll be motivated to work on it some after work this week in an attempt to get it running better before the Weekend.

I still need to get a hoop for the Bikini top.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 9:19pm
OK got an hour to work on CHUG tonight. I think the secondary was open a little to far. I managed to screw it closed a little and got the Idle down to what shows on my in vehicle tach as 1000rpm. The Idle mixture is still off quite a bit going to need a bigger jet then I happen to have.  I'm seeing A/F ratio numbers pretty close but on the Rich side. so more jet changing will be coming.

I also need to get the crap 7 month old fuel out of it before I go to crazy tuning.

Was great to get it out and around the block a couple times.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 12:39pm
Sometimes things are just maddening. I am trying to tune my Weber DGV-5A carb. I have a Air/Fuel ratio gauge. At Idle I am right were I want to be between 13.8 and 14.2 Once I come up on the primary circuit around 2000 rpm I drop to 11.0 to 12.0 indicating I should drop my Primary Jet size a step.

ONLY no where in Salem Oregon does anyone have any jets in stock. The one old school VW place that does have some jets doesn't have any the sizes I need. SO I guess I keep running on the RICH side for the weekend.

It used to be there was no place in Salem Oregon to buy a Mill end of any kind that drove me crazy. Now the one good tool store in town carries the most expensive Mill ends possible but at least you can buy one if you need it. IF you can get there before 4:30pm when they close.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 1:43pm
What size jets are you needing? I may have some of these and if available, could bring them tomorrow.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 2:42pm
I'll PM you Otto but I am looking for Jets for a DGV 32-36 Primary 150 and 155
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2022 at 8:48am
So we did the Spring Fling with Mike and crew., Much fun in the rain roaring around the Cascade foot hills East of Springfield.

For this report I am only going to talk about CHUG and things that happened and I learned.

first a good thing. I ran down approx. 93 miles 30-33 miles of two lane state and county hiway/road and 60-63 miles of Interstate Freeway. At 60mph average and got 13.28mpg. I am still running pretty rich. The 14 degrees of initial timing worked out very well easy start and no pinging at all.

Running down I5 I notice my right Wiper arm move away from the glass hang there for a couple seconds then fly off. So I slam on the brakes and back up the shoulder and pick it up. Later replaced it with a few dings the allen set screw let loose.

I burned up a short electrical link in my Fuse to Relay for the Air Compressor

I did a dumb thing and when showing off my fan control switch I left it in the off position and ended up over heating LOL. Lost about a Qt of coolant out the over flow.

Rear locker worked great

First time locking hubs in and all the 4wd drive stuff worked great

Not having the OD being able to stay in Direct unless I hold the shift cane in place was a total PITA and made it very hard to match the other jeeps in the column. I finally went into low range and ran in OD low range. which allowed me to match speed without using my brakes on the long down hill sections.

I ran 30lbs of air in the tires and had a nice ride the CJ5 springs really smooth out the ride.

$13 at the self car wash to get the mud and fir needles off the underside. A nice hand wash at home for the paint.

More later time for work.

Edited by Mark W. - 01 June 2022 at 8:50am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Rick Cline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2022 at 11:33am
Sounds like you have a Overdrive from Herm. My OD from Herm did the same thing. I fixed it by replacing it with a Warn OD. Problem solved. 

Edited by Rick Cline - 01 June 2022 at 1:56pm
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 124125126127128 141>