Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 140>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2023 at 5:45pm
Those doors are looking good! Can’t wait to see what it looks like complete.
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2023 at 8:29pm

Me too. It just seams like there is sooooo much left to do. I really want need them done physically by Mid March so a month from now.

And I still haven't forked over the bucks for the Lexan yet.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2023 at 8:38pm
Got any idea on how much it all weighs?

1951 M38
1951 M100
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2023 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

Got any idea on how much it all weighs?

The $60,000 question!
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2023 at 12:41am
not yet I did some estimates when I had the rear section framed and I thinking it going to come in around 200 lbs. A Konieg steel top is around 250.
I'll know for sure in about a month.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2023 at 8:22pm
So when I get about a dozen more screws installed and finish inletting the Lock. The Passenger side door will be structurally done. And man has it messed with my head. SOME HOW when I framed it out it ended up almost 1/2" shorter then the Drivers side. I was able to replace the upper tube and shim the middle and bottom tube and correct this without to much hassle. The bottom section does not fit quite as tight as the drivers side. It's well within the tolerance of the weather stripping I am planning on using. It may also get tighter when I put the skin on as I will be able to clamp in place during that bonding process.

Next big thing is to shape the curves along above the door I'm hoping to figure out a way that does not require a huge amount of sanding to shape in place. Then on to the Front leading edge and finally the Front corners.

The big Goal is to have all this done in the next 11 days! I wanted all the time I have in March to do the Skin and get the windows installed.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2023 at 7:34pm
OK aside from reworking the lock and the little Micarta filler piece that goes between the door and the Lower Cowl panel the Passenger door is all structured out.

I also reworked my windshield mount Side Mirror mounts to make clearance for the Suicide Doors. It was pretty simple once I figured it out I just added a 3/4 x 3/4" spacer to push the arm towards the front of the jeep. The Passenger side I think will work very well. The Conical Mirror I use on the Right side helps not requiring as much angle as the Flat mirror on the Drivers side. The Drivers side is really tight and I think I will have to either add more spacer or trim the mounting stem on the Mirror.

But as I currently do not have the drivers seat in CHUG I will wait until I can actually sit in it and see where the mirror has to be positioned and if that will or will not clear the door before I go modifying anything else.

BUT there has to be one little PITA the spacers require longer screws which are 5/16-18t Stainless Button heads. The need to be 3" long to accommodate the spacer. I only have 1 that size. And NO WHERE Local carries any Button Heads longer then 1.5" So I have to order 5) of them from McMaster Carr. Which means waiting until I have a few other things to order cause SHIPPING!
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2023 at 12:45am
Passenger Door is to the same stage in it's development as the drivers door. It doesn't fit up to the body quite as tight as the Drivers door does. But it will get a little better once I pull it off and step on it (only way to tighten one of the angles) it only needs less then 1/8".

I put the drivers seat back in and dragged my big butt into it only find as I had worried the Right side mirror is shrouded by the door. SO I am going to have to move them out away from the Windshield 1.25" on both sides (want to keep them symmetrical) I'll do it in stages but I think this will allow me to also shorten the spacers I put in the mounts. This has to do with how they fit against the arc of the suicide doors opening.

Starting to get worried about my March 18/19th road worthy deadline. The huge cost of the Windows is also a worry. The bookkeeper told me how much money is left in my Willys account and its going to be very tight unless there's an influx of green.

I wish the "stall" in the shop was a foot wider so I could open the doors all the way up against the body. Be nice to see the position they are going to sit in when open. While I am still working on everything.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2023 at 6:00pm
OK Mirrors are "adjusted" I added almost 1.5" to each arm. Shortened the mounting stem on the drivers side 1/4" and I have 1/4" clearance between the drivers door and the mirror and about 1/8" between the passenger door and the right mirror. I have to move my head to see the side of the jeep in the Passenger mirror but thats no big deal. I do that kind of stuff all the time in the Dump truck. Heck in the dump truck sometimes I have to raise myself clear up off the seat and almost touch my head to the bulkhead above the windshield to see what I need to when backing up.

The right side is a real pill I can't just push it towards the front of the jeep to get clearance from the door as that ends up hiding even more of it. And on the drivers side I have to have the mirror at a sharper angle which moves the bottom of the mirror into the path of the door. So I think I got them about as good as they are going to get.

Funny thing is I really didn't want to have to make them stick out farther because of how they look and making the jeep wider. BUT all the time I knew I was going to have to do it for better visibility when I tow the trailer. The trailer is planned to be just 3-5" wider then the jeep but still need some angle to see around it. So it was inevitable the mirrors would get moved out.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2023 at 9:58pm
I didn't like the original mirrors on my '89 YJ so I put outside mirrors that were made for a CJ-5/7 on it.  The passenger side mirror is easily viewed through the windshield.  Sometimes OCD is overrated when compared to utility.  Smile

That passenger side mirror does make for a large blind spot though... Unhappy
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2023 at 1:16am
Today was a very good day even though I did not get a LOT done.

Above the rain gutter and at the bottom edge of what is the whole top I have a piece of 1/8" X 1.5" aluminum bar stock that tapers starting at the door hinge line down to 1/2" wide at the front edge. This piece of aluminum is very important as it is the piece that I will physically anchor the Roof sheeting to using 1/4" long 8-32 316 stainless Phillips head screws. It give me something to thread into. This piece of aluminum has to have the bottom edge straight all on the same plane. The L shaped piece of aluminum that will become the rain gutter fits under it and then the whole thing is bolted to the walls.

Because of the angle of the roof section starting where the door hinge line is I have not been able to tell if both the rear section and the new front section of the top were on the same plane. I have worried about it. Well today I made those two pieces of bar stock and it looks like the two halves of the roof couldn't be closer to perfect. Once I have finished riveting and screwing these pieces and the one that wraps around the back wall and corners to the top I will be able to remove the top as a single piece and put it on my layout table and work on the leading edge and front corners. Which will be SOOOOOOOOOO much easier then standing on a step stool leaning over from the sides.

Now I need to scare up a couple guys to help be lift it off and move it the 15 feet to the table. Oh and I guess I should clean the table off LOL.

Should be able to do this Saturday. Looks like if I can get the front edge of this thing ready for sheeting next week I will have 3 weeks to do the sheeting and install the windows and a few small details! We might actually be taking CHUG Jack Rabbit hunting on the 24th of March!!!!
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2023 at 4:19pm
Both sides are to this point. I just finished screwing and riveting the belt strip above the Top/Side joint in place. Next step is to pull the whole roof section off and get to work on the Leading edge and the corners. Keep in mind a .040" Aluminum skin gets bonded over top of everything you see. making a smooth (hopefully) Skin.

If you look at the Windshield arm you can see a big mess I have to clean up. The sheeting of the frame pulled away from the frame and when I went to try to fix it I ended up loosing a bunch of paint. SO I went ahead and welded the sheeting to the frame, I currently have some PC-7 Epoxy putty smoothing out the weld area and will once its good and cured sand it with some 80 grit then smooth the whole area out with some body filler leaving it short of the level of the paint then some Epoxy Sealer and I will then come in and build up paint to just above the level of the original paint and then sand the two levels together with 1200-2000 grit and rebuff. Hopefully it won't look to bad.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get the Roof section on to my layout table to make working on the leading edge much easier.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2023 at 8:30pm
WHOPPIE

My son came by today we were going to go out to the rifle range and sight in his new rifle. Turns out his $350 scope is wonkie and can't be adjusted enough to get the rifle within 8" of the target center. So we come home grab one of my old Leupold scopes and run back to the range and get it dead on.

Anyway as he is packing up he shows me a problem with his tire chains I tell him to bring them in the shop I know how to fix them. Then we are standing by the roof section of the hard top (you knew I would get here eventually right?) he had helped me get it on to my layout table.

Anyway I was showing him how its going to be a pain in the butt to shape the curve blocks above the doors as seen in this photo.

He looks on as I start to figure out how to make some patterns and he says why don't you just replace the blocks with some of that Pink Foam stuff you have then it would be easy to just use a long sanding block to shape them perfect and then use the foam blocks to scribe the pattern on to the Micarta blocks (which is WAY harder to sand to shape)

So he took me from hours and hours of coming up with patterns to maybe an hour to figure them out!!!

I knew we had him for a reason LOL.

So now the next step is to make some foam blocks and attach them in place of the Micarta and make a huge mess with some 80 grit sand paper.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2023 at 7:53pm
WOW some progress.

The front blocks are now rough curved and partially sanded to final shape..
The leading edge flap that will come down over the top front of the Windshield frame is both blind riveted and bolted in place.
The Left side above the door blocks Are in the final stages of sanding to shape.

Right side above the door blocks next.

And I got something I been looking for for while now. I got the light that will become my third brake light. My CB antenna is going to mount to a LARGE aluminum L bracket that will fit over the Top rear edge of the top so that one leg of the L is attached to the roof and the other is attached to the back wall just above the rain gutter. The third brake light will mount to this bracket. Its a vintage K&D Clearance light. It currently has a single bulb socket in it that I will be changing to either a pair of singles or if I can fit them 3 bulbs. Both to make it real bright and for the safety factor should one bulb burn out.

I'll show off some photos next update the roof section is currently a huge mess on my layout table so clear photos not going to happen.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2023 at 2:28pm
Some progress on the front section of the hard top

This photo shows how I used Pink Foam as a stand in for the Micarta blocks as they were very easy to sand to shape and then use as patterns for rough cutting the Micarta blocks greatl reducing the time and increasing the accuracy. This was my sons idea.

This photo shows The same section with the Micarta blocks in final shape. LOTS of block sanding with 80 grit on a piece of 3/4" square tubing I have that was triple checked for being straight.

This photo shows both the leading edge blocks cut and sanded to shape and also the flap that will reach over the top of the windshield. Its been attached to the 8) bent pieces of .065" aluminum with about 40) tiny 3/32" flat head blind Aluminum aircraft rivets. If you have been following along one of my failed Ideas for the Leading edge involved two of these 1/8" x 3" strips of Aluminum riveted to a section of 2" curve. I tore that apart when it was obvious it wasn't going to work out and this is one of those pieces. I clamped a piece of 3/16" x 2" angle Aluminum to the flat piece while bolting it in place to get it as close to straight as possible. The segmented attachment of the 8 pieces of bent .065" worked very well to allow this to be "tuned" straight.

This photo shows what I think I am going to end up with as the corner piece I had originally planned on having a much larger radius at the corner but now I am thinking that was just going to create more problems trying to blend into the windshield. And this is plenty aerodynamic. Also pretty easy to make continuing the line from both sets of blocks and then rounding off where they come together.

And another view of the same.

I will have to work out exactly how to do the transition piece that will be below the corner when I get the Roof section back up on CHUG. The front "flap" has been left long until that is figured out.

You can't see them but there are a pair of Micarta blocks under the bar that the .065 bent aluminum pieces attach to that really help stiffen up the "Flap" its my intention to run a pair of 10-32 bolts through the Flap in the center of the Windshield using the Mirror mount bolts to do this so no new holes in the frame. Between those and the Turn buckles at the corners and the Blocks the Frame rides up against I think this will be quite secure. I also have a pair of Micarta blocks that fit between the top edge of the Windshield frame and the Bottom of the bar the .065 Bent aluminum mounts are attached to to transfer weight. Though the front section of the roof with its triangulated frame is very rigid as it is.

Edited by Mark W. - 04 Mar. 2023 at 2:33pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2023 at 7:31pm
Nice idea on the pink foam!
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2023 at 9:08pm
The boys idea saved me  a bunch of time. Not fool proof but way better then what I had thought up.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 2:41pm
You ever wake up in the middle of the night with the solution to a problem?
Last night I woke up starring at the clock at 2:03 am and had the solution to my front corner problem. Its going to add a day to the process as I am tearing the corners apart cutting out the joint where the above door and front leading edge frames come together and then installing an L shaped piece of 1/4" that will become the new corner.
Changing from thinking the corner would be a 1.5" radius to more like 1/2" radius after shaping the corner block is the answer. Anyway photos when I get the first one finished.

Edited by Mark W. - 07 Mar. 2023 at 9:07pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 140>