Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 141>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 8:27pm
Looks great, I don't have a little brother but I have 3 grown sons and they do a good job. The middle one just moved into his first house a week ago so my stuff is leaving here every day. They bring most of it back over time. I was just there and they wanted to make a deal for my 3 year old granddaughter, apparently she's acting up today.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 9:05pm
I haven't tried a video as yet but here goes.

https://youtu.be/RhxMl1dHbP4

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 10:11pm
WOW that was a scary lesson to learn. Seams cheap orange ratchet straps will ratchet tighter just fine. But have a FRECKIN tendency to let out 6+ inches of strap at a time when trying to ratchet out.

I managed to get the tub down on to the frame (well some wood blocks set on the frame) without any thing to terrible happening though I do have an area on the top of the frame where it meets the right rear cross member mount to repaint.

Now I have to wait for someone to wander by I can trap into giving me a hand lining it up and getting one of the boards I used to protect the frame and tub from each other out. Just to much to try to lift and wrestle the board out at the same time.

OH and leecar you will be happy to know the insides of the rear backing plates are totally Safety Blue like they should have been all along. Boy was that fun to mask off.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 12:20am
Personally, I'm torn about Chug.  I like both shades of blue--the brake backing plates AND the shocks!  I would think they should both be the same color, but WHICH ONE???  Wink

That is a tiny space in which to re-build a Jeep, too.  You get extra points for that. Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 2:06am
The thing about the Blue is neither would match the body color which will be Kirker Paints Pacific Blue so unless I were to paint the backing plates and the Shocks the same 3 different shades of blue is better then 2 or so the wife says LOL.

As to the size of the space I agree. I have almost 34' linear but no more then 10' in width and with crap stored around the perimeter even less.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 3:02am
OK today was a wild mix of events. I got the chassis out to see day light first time in 12+ years. Then I got the rear backing plates painted (like they should have been done a couple years ago) Then I got the chassis located under the Tub. Then I almost dropped the Tub on the frame (OK so in one tiny place it actually did drop on the frame)

And best of all I found out with a HUGE 3/16" body lift (that has to be some sort of record LOL) I can avoid what I have been dreading for almost a year now. Having to modify the Cross Member just ahead of the Rear Axle to clear one of the support ribs in my fancy floor.

I do have to order a couple more packages of Urethane Body mount pads to have enough. But it looks like the Tub is going to line up very well. I'll get the extra pads then once they are all in place I will micro adjust the tub for position on the frame and mark out the Body mount Holes I have to drill.

I even figured out how to make and secure the 4) Blind nuts I will have to make for the Rear Cross Member mounts. Going to be some Lathe time ahead.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 3:07am
Looks good Thx 4 sharing.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 3:29am
Wow wow wow!! ClapClapClap  Looking forward to seeing the tub on Mark.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 4:16am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Wow wow wow!! ClapClapClap  Looking forward to seeing the tub on Mark.

OH CRAP its all ready back in the shop I'll get a couple as I work out the mounting hole stuff.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 10:53pm
Took a little side trip and made some little brackets that will be the lower support points for the 15" box extension I will be making to help haul crap when we go camping and adventuring. They attach to the outside of the 4) Button head bolts (these will be replaced with Domed head Grade 8 3/8 NC bolts to match the ones I am making to attach the front bumper) that hold the Rear cross member to the brackets that then hold it to the end of the frame. There will be two adjustable links (like a tierod) that will angle up to the bottom of the Box extension just ahead of the rear frame on the extension. Should allow the extension to easily handle 300+ lbs. Not that it would ever have to but you never know I might sit on it LOL.

Photos tomorrow after I get them painted and can get to ACE for the Grade 8's

I'm also thinking on making a couple of Jack points on the underside of the Rear Cross Member. Using a piece of 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 3" Aluminum as a pad with a Pair of 3/8" Bolts running down through the Cross Member with double nuts on the ends to act as a stop so the Jack can not slip sideways if the rear of the Jeep ends up at an angle while lifting.

Have to think on that some more.

I got the rear 4) mounting holes laid out as well as marking the holes to drill for the Under tank/Tool box , and front floor bolts.

I'll make the mounting Links that go from the Toe Board Gussets to the side of the frame once I have received the additional Polythane Urethane pads I need. I want to basically work forward from the Rear cross Member as I attach the Body Trying to keep everything lined up as I go.

Once I get this trial fitting and a little trimming (I would like a little more clearance for the top of the Master Cylinder) I'll pull the tub put it on the Rotisserie and do the Skim coat to smooth out the Tub. And at the same time get more of the chassis assembled.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2017 at 10:25pm
OK update time. I have the Rear Cross member body mount holes drilled. I also drilled a couple holes on the bottom side to attach a Jack stop (to keep a high lift jack for slipping off an angled rear cross member) I then removed all the Sherwin Williams Chassis Black paint off it and redid some of the spot putty. I then put 3 coats of VHT Epoxy Satin Black on it but even though I knew it was way to hot out I did it anyway. The result was a crappy finish as the paint set up to fast. SOOOOO I then waited a couple days and hand sanded it out smooth on the top and back side and a close to smooth on the bottom with 400 P grit paper. I'm waiting a couple days to reshoot it.

I got the fancy domed head grade 8 bolts that will hold the rear cross member made and painted.

I collected up and organized all the body mount pads and bolts, nuts and washers that will hold the tub to the frame. I think I need to buy 10 more of the 1/4" pads (I'm padding the bolt head or nut when possible)

I made the 4) Bolts that will attach the body in the front floor, under the tank and in the Tool box. They are grade 5 Carriage Bolts with the heads re domed flatter and got them painted.

SO at this point I still need to drill the 4) Front floor body mount holes in the Tub (I'll do that once its off the Frame again) And 2 of the rear cross member bolt holes in the frame work that makes up the rear valance panel.

I took a break from Body mount stuff and masked off the area under the dash to be painted. I am painting that area with a Anti Rust Enamel with a brush to work it into all the crevices.

WOW that was so fun laying on my back on the Tub floor with a 1" brush painting everything from the Toe Board to Firewall joint up as well as the back side of the dash. My left hand is asleep! And I only get to do it one more time. I setup a small fan to blow air under the dash so I wouldn't pass out from fumes !

Sure brightens up the underside of the dash I'm using the same LT. Ford Gray I used in the Tool box. 

First time I have been in Chug in a dozen years LOL.

This week at work was a mess I had until Wed. Night at 8:00 off for the Holiday and then Worked a short 7 hour night paving on one of the Bridges over the Willamette River in Salem. Did the same Thru Night except a full night of 9.5 hours. Had Friday off but of course slept till noon. And then Sat hauled rock to a Landfill (they are building a new pit) and got in almost 10 hours. SO with the Holiday pay last week was a bust. No Willys money from last week.

Hopefully this week will be better I am trying to save up a nice nest egg to buy the Aluminum for the hard top this Winter. Not much left to buy for Chug proper I got like 1000 parts on shelves and piled up around here just waiting to be assembled.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 3:20am
YAHOO we have a full set of US WHEEL Series 68 15" x 6" Wheels in the house. The 4 I been waiting for were on the porch when I got home. Nice topper to a 12 hour day.

Now I must resist running them down to the Tire Store and putting shoes on them. (money is better spent in other directions this far from being on the road.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 1:00am
WOW another killer 60 hour week. This one left me with even less time to work on Chug then usual. I worked until 5pm Sat and now at 6:30pm Sun I have to leave for night paving.

So this is whats new wedged in between to much dump trucking.

First up The underside of the dash is a nice Lt Ford Gray. I figured it would help with rust prevention as well as when I am under there with a light the lighter color would help illuminate stuff. I used a big artists brush with very fine bristles and a little 3" roller with 3/8" nap to reach everywhere.

Next up I got the Tub lined up on the frame and drilled some holes in the Rear Cross Member last week to get the Body mounts ready. Today I actually bolted the Tub down via the two mounts on the Tail Light Panels and the Riser. I double checked the Square and then drilled the Two inner Mounts on the Rear Cross Member.

I had to make a pair of Micarta Spacers to add to the Polyurethane mounting pads I am using at the Riser mounts I must have put the 2A body mounts lower then I should have when I transferred them to the CJ5 frame. At any rate I wanted to use a 7/16" thick pad at each location and making a .310" thick spacer did the trick.

This Photo shows an overall rear view of the Tub mounted.

And a view of the Rear Cross Member Mounting brackets from the Wheel House. You can see the Body mount from the other side in this one.

And a pair of photos to show the little brackets I made that will support the tierod like braces I will use for my Box extension. Normally these braces would go to the Draw bar but as I have no draw bar this is my solution. Also since my Box Extension is only going to be 15" instead of the 24" I figured I didn't need quite as much angle to the support. Oh it should be noted here the Bolts are Grade 8's I reshaped the heads on to make them a little more attractive.

Outside view left side bracket

Inner view left side bracket

I still need to drill the body mount holes in the front floor, tank, and tool box areas. I'm trying to decide just how I want to do that. I am planning on using a carriage bolt in these positions so I will have to drill a pretty tight 3/8" hole so I can file out the square for the head to fit into. Since my "Hat Channel" is actually .090" x 1" x 2" rectangular tubing I'll have plenty of meat for the Square to lock into. Going to be a PITA doing all that filing.

Looks like Night work all this Week so depending on when I can wake up I'll have a couple hours to work each day before Dinner and leaving for work.

Edited by Mark W. - 17 July 2017 at 1:03am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 1:53am
Looking good, Mark.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 2:23am
This Willys is looking amazing Mark! Clap I can't wait to see it at next year's Spring fling!
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 2:28am
Amazing work as usual Clap
Those bolt heads look clean. 
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 2:31am
Very nice work. I love it when the chassis is that clean and square.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 2:32am
Keep it up
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 141>