Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 140>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 3:22am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Agreed though slightly less of a problem with my jeep as it will have a Hard top on it 90% of the time.

You're mostly safe then.  Can water get in where your gas tank drain and outlet are or have you got that area sealed? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 4:02am
Oh I know water can get to the floor. I plan on hosing it out when it gets dirty. Also my side wall drains are open.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 4:13am
I was just trying to think of where water might sneak in when you're not looking.  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 1:22am
UNBELIEVABLE I am actually a whole day ahead of my short term schedule. I wanted to have the Tub sitting on Saw horses ready to do Body filler work on the Firewall and the Tail end by the end of the weekend (pretty sure fun jeep shop time during the week is coming to an end with the nicer weather). And with still a couple hours of work time left today I am typing this with the Tub up on saw horses and all the front clip pieces stashed out of the way the Chassis has been pushed into the Main section of the Shop where I assembled the Suspension and Steering last year.

SO tomorrow after I build a little support pod to help balance the Tub I will start working on the Firewall I have a number of bolt holes and such that will not be needed in my build so I am going to smooth everything I can. I might even get to working on the Tail light panels and the Valance. Neither will take much as I did the big work on them with PC-7 Epoxy some time back.

Monday evening after work I am going to attempt to clean the chassis (LOTS of body filler dust in every nook and cranny). I was going to shove it out in the yard and blow it off with the compressor but that was more work then I wanted to mess with. I'm going to try to find the best position for it in the shop space and then throw it on Jack stands so I can narrow it up by removing the tires and wheels.

I think first Chassis work will be assembling the interior of the Brakes. Then I might work towards getting that pretty engine off the stand and into the saddle. Everything left to do on the Engine it needs to be in the Chassis anyway.

By next weekend I should be able to (with some help) get the Rotisserie Saddle up under the Tub so I can start the body filler on the sides of the tub and the Cowl. 

Oh what ever you guys do don't tell the wife the Front Fenders are hiding upstairs in the little spare bedroom (same place the Seats hide out) She might not be happy LOL.

32 days and counting to paint deadline.

Edited by Mark W. - 22 Apr. 2018 at 1:24am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 4:21am
29 days until Paint

Ok so near as I can figure I have the firewall and the rear of the Tub ready for primer. Which puts me a good 2 days ahead of where I thought I would be at. This is a very good thing as it also appears work is going to attempt to ruin my life. So 40+ hours a week is here.

I figure I have 8 full Jeep days (weekends )to get everything ready for Paint on Memorial Weekend.

Today while going around and around in circles in the Dump truck I figured out how I will hang the windshield and hood for priming/sealing/painting. The tailgate is easy the fenders I am still thinking on.

I was also obsessing on how the Rotisserie would interfere with the painting steps. And it turns out I should be in pretty good shape. In the front the big cross bar and the ends of the saddle the tub sits on is below the bottom of the actual firewall and will be easy enough to paint over with the Tub upside down on the thing. In the rear the cross bar is cut down to narrower then the tail gate opening so again should not be in the way.

Tomorrow after work I am going to try to figure out how to lift the cross bars and saddle (its kind of all one unit) up to reach the underside of the tub and see about getting it bolted up.

Once bolted up the cross bars should not be hard to lift up high enough to slip the ends of the Rotisserie on then I can slip the two 4x4's that will connect the two ends together and go about installing the castors I bought so I can push the whole mess from one side of the paint booth to the other giving me much more room to paint.

If I can get it on the Rotisserie tomorrow or even by Thursday night. I'll be on my way to skim coating the rest of the tub much sooner then I had hoped.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 4:40am
Mark, please share pics of your rotisserie. If it's designed and built by you, it's gotta be trick and well made.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 1:56pm
Soon as I get it set up with the tub on I will get you some photos. It was originally built for a 66 chevelle and its pretty heavy duty. And yes its my design.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2018 at 2:55am
25 days until Paint

Ok so the Rotisserie is all set up including for the first time ever CASTORS so I can move it around. Seams to be working out well. I got a bunch of stuff piled up on the cowl and rear floor so I need to get it off there before a full spin test.

I only have one day this weekend to work on CHUG due to Sunday going to the coast for the wifes birthday (I will tactfully not mention which one) So up real early tomorrow and hard at it until at least 7pm. I pretty sure I can make some serious damage on the Tub skim coating part of the project.

I'll add photos to the thread on the Rotisserie maybe later tonight.

It sits up about 1.5" higher then it did when I built the Tub. Which I think is going to be a help when sanding out the sides. Less bending over?

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 8:59pm
OMG just 18 days until I have to be ready for paint!

So I made a $33.00 mistake two days ago. I looked in my can of body filler and thought I can finish up with that. NOPE I still have the Right Rear Side Panel and the Cowl to finish and while the Cowl won't require much the Rear Side Panel will require more then I have left.

NAPA in town carries the 3M Platinum Plus Filler I am using at a cost of $81.00 a can (gallon can 3/4 full!) Not available in Quarts as its a Pro level product.

Amazon $48.25 free two day shipping. I should have ordered another can Wed. evening. Now I have to wander down to NAPA and see if I can talk one of my buddies into a discount LOL.

OH well I guess I'll want to have some one hand for the Hard Top and maybe even the Off Road Trailer.

S0 looks like a 2.5 cans of Body Filler to do Chug. I would think that was crazy if I hadn't already dumped about 3/4 that much out of the Vacuum cleaner or swept up off the floor. LOTS of nice spendy 3M Blue PSA 2.375" wide sand paper. And then about a box of some off brand 2.375" x 17" PSA sheets in 80 grit.

Only place the Filler is more then a 1/32" deep is the middle of the Hood (due to it being butterfly shaped) and then a small area in the Lower Cowls.

Work has been a ball buster right back into 50+ hour weeks. Really hoping I can talk my way out of any Saturday work this month or I will never be ready for Paint Memorial Weekend. And with the 4th on a WED the best I could hope for is a 2 day weekend to paint and I'm not sure how that will work.

2 coats of Sealer 2 coats of Blue and then 2 coats of Black on the Floor. Thats a lot to do in two days.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 2:30am
Good luck. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 5:24am
17 days to paint dead line

OK not a bad weekend I got in almost 22 hours on Chug in. About 3 hours of what my goal was.

I was really hoping to have all the body filler work done and sanded to 150/220 grit by tonight. I estimate I missed it by 3 hours.

I ran into a nasty set back when I got to the Cowl. Back before dad got Chug in 62 some how there ended up a depression in the top of the Cowl almost directly in front of the driver. So time back I took to beating on this area in an attempt to straighten it out. Turns out my efforts were not to my advantage. When I got to sanding that area I had some nasty oil canning. So about 2 hours were spent beating and shrinking this area which caused me to have to redo the filler on a good portion of the Cowl. Its good now though the surface of the Cowl where it rolls down to the rain gutter is a little lumpy (I doubt I will worry about it I'll see what it looks like with primer on it) I still have another layer of filler to go on the area I had to work on. And then get it sanded out. Hopefully Tomorrow evening.

SO here is the PLAN

Monday: finish up Cowl and the area around the Cowl (this should be the end to all body filler work)

Tuesday: start detailing the interior where I left some rough PC-7 epoxy and make sure the inside edge of the roll at the top of the Tub is smooth and looks good. Pickup or order the last of my supplies for priming. New Respirator, Tyvek suit, Head sock, mixing cups, strainers, Plastic sheet to hang around the room etc.

Wednesday: Sand out the  rear floor Not going to need any filler as its a flat sheet of 16ga. So this should only take a couple hours. Start cleaning the paint booth area.

Thursday: hang plastic get filters set up Generally have the Paint booth all set up. (going to be a late night)

Friday: Start hanging parts for spraying. Get spray gun and paint supplies organized. Start praying about 1PM that I don't have to work Saturday. Try a preemptive strike and let the dispatcher know I have stuff I have to do about 1:30pm when I figure out praying won't help.

Saturday: finish everything I didn't get done. SHAVE (WOW this should be interesting I can not remember when the last time I shaved was at least 20 maybe 30 years ago) need that Respirator to seal up. Wash everything with Prep-all

Start priming. Putting two good coats of Hi Build Primer on everything that will show Not going to do the underside of the Tub except the Toe Boards and the Firewall. No primer on the top of the Wheel Houses as they are completely covered by the Roll bar and its trim. No primer on the inside of the windshield, inside Wheel houses, Underside of Hood (already has a primer) and inside of tailgate (this will be covered with a sheet of 1/8" aluminum to hold the Oak Strips that will be on it)

Sunday: finish Priming FIX ANY MISTAKES or add another coat if I see a problem area.

13th through the 21st Block sand everything to 400 grit for paint. This will be 2-3 hours in the evening and the one weekend.

21st through 23rd panic as I will be way behind.

23rd-25 get paint booth cleaned up again and get set up to Paint Sealers on the 26th going to do 2) coats on everything possibly 3 on the underside of everything.

27-28 Paint color Paint Black Floor First allow to dry then mask off for the Blue

Late on the night of the 28th if I manage this all HAVE A BEER OR TWO AND STARE AT A BLUE JEEP.

Edited by Mark W. - 07 May 2018 at 5:32am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 12:53am
If I get within a year of my dead line I'm happy. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 2:54am
Well at one time the dead line was to take the grand daughters to DQ for Ice cream on my 60th Birthday. That was this past Sept 29th. So if I get this thing on the road by age 61 I will be ecstatic.

Last of the body filler is sanded out. Just some spot putty to deal with after dinner. Then I have 4 days to get everything that should be gone over with 150/220 before Primer to get done.

I managed to pickup about Half my needed supplies at Lowes today. Tyvek suit head sock cheap plastic Mixing  cups. The rest tomorrow night At Harbor Freight and NAPA And I'll get a couple things ordered 2nd day from Amazon.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 12:42am
I'd like my grandson to be able to take mine to his senior prom, he's 7. Not making any promises though. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 5:18am
14 DAYS TO PAINT

So I dont know about all of you BUT I sure been looking forward to writing this:

I'm done with all body work on CHUG!!!!

Tomorrow I clean up everything and prep the room to spray primer.

Turns out I got very lucky and work ran out of stuff to do for a couple days and I'm using it to my advantage. By Sunday evening I should have high build primer on all the places it should be. Paint should be on schedule.

Edited by Mark W. - 11 May 2018 at 5:27am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 3:38am
WOW as it sits right now the Spray booth is all ready, the Tub is all washed and prepped for Primer, The new Spray guns are clean and ready to go. I have stuff masked off that doesn't get Hi Build Primer, I got the air system all set up . And Tomorrow Morning about 8:00am after spraying down the floor with a little water I am going to start priming the Tub and work my way through the sheet metal.

I want to get it all done before about 2pm as its supposed to get over 85 tomorrow.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 3:38am
OH and I shaved for the first time in something like 29-30 years. SO that damn mask will seal.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 10:27am
looking forward to seeing some paint fly!! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 140>