Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Photobucket alternative

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuebecJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Photobucket alternative
    Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 3:41pm
Hi All,

I just launched a new website as an alternative to Photobucket.

It's 100% free. Give it a try.
Please keep the CJ3A alive!
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 4:15pm
This is a wonderful thing for the community. I appreciate your thought and work. Although I see some potential problems using this site vs a large company. Since it's free, how are you paying for hosting costs when they get very expensive? Heaven forbid something happened to you - be it physically or financially, and the site goes down. Maybe if there were a few people involved for better stability.

I highly recommend imgur. I've been using it for years.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 4:24pm
Thanks for doing this!

Is there an option for more than 12MB?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
QuebecJeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuebecJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 7:57pm
Hi,
I do agree. There is always a risk. Who can tell if imgur will or will not do the same as Photobucket in future? For now, I do not expect the site to be huge as imgur as I want it to be use only within the Willys community. I just want to offer another alternative.
I don't post quite often here but I'm in the Willys community internet since 2008.
I'm the webmaster of www.cj3apage.com and we (the forum members) are paying the annual fee for the website. It's not a big deal.
I also own another website www.jeepwillysworld.com and I pay the fee for it.
I did paid the fee for the three next year for www.mywillyspics.com and there is already people approaching me to help with the fee via ads. I might add some ads on it later but for now I like it plain and simple.

I had a discussion with Dave from www.ewillys.com about what will happen to our website when will be gone. We had this discussion when Bruce Agan pass away. I was wondering if his website www.jeepsurreygala.com would disappear or not. My conclusion was nothing will be there forever. I do remember the earlycj5.com website when it was more then a forum. It changed. I do remember also www.vernco.com website which is gone. How long my website will exist? I don't know. I'm 41 years old and healthy for now... 

Jpet, the pics size limit for one pic is 20MB. You can have as many you want. There is already over 1000 pics on the website and the total size of it is around 1.5Gig.

Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 8:08pm
Thanks for the additional information, sounds like you have the bases covered! I'm joining and look forward to the growth of this site. 

The categories & trending are a cool idea. What about a modified category?
QuebecJeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuebecJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 8:15pm
I'm open to all ideas. I will create more categories. I though about engine, transmission, body...modified categories.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 8:15pm
Quebec,
Appreciate the effort you are making for the community. Having been crushed by Photobucket, some of us are a little gun shy of anything out there.

Nick,
I looked at Imgur and figured out how to make it work, but when I read this in their terms I decided not to mess with them. Just sounds to me like they don't want anyone using them as a photo hosting site.

"don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com. We mean it."
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 8:19pm
I signed up and created a folder.  I don't see how to create subfolders.  Can you?

Again thanks for doing this.  Let us know if/when donations  are needed.

.... what about a phone app?  
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 9:40pm
QuebecJeep,     

This idea of special website for the photos sounds great!  (and it should last as long as CJ3Apage, if you are doing both). Big smile

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2017 at 1:43am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I signed up and created a folder.  I don't see how to create subfolders.  Can you?

Again thanks for doing this.  Let us know if/when donations  are needed.

.... what about a phone app?  

Jeff,
While logged in, click your name ...top right.  A drop down will appear.  Click "Albums".  Once here, you'll see a button on the right.  "Create new album". The rest is fairly self explanatory.  

The site has some very minor glitches that Pascal and I have discussed. Nothing that would cause data loss or anything like that.  Just some minor format issues when scrolling with an iPad.  

It does work well with my Android phone.  

Pascal is a true Willys hero for doing this for us.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2017 at 1:50am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Jeff,
While logged in, click your name ...top right.  A drop down will appear.  Click "Albums".  Once here, you'll see a button on the right.  "Create new album". The rest is fairly self explanatory.  ....
I mean, can you create an album within and album. 

Example:
2017\FCT\Day 1
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2017 at 2:02am
Okay, now I understand.  I don't know. 

While in an album, you can "select all" on the right.  This turns on "selection action" right next to it.  This opens another drop down where you might be able to create a new album from the photos you keep selected...but I don't know if it creates an album within this album...or creates another front page album.  I haven't tried it yet.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2017 at 4:05am
Thanks for offering this. 
I struggle with tech related things. After losing photo bucket, I’m both mad and sad! 
I do everything from my iPhone, is it going to be possible to post pics to the 2apage from the new website?
And if so can you walk me through it.... and pretend if a website was a jeep that I don’t know a t-case from a differential!!
 Thanks very much for your time. 

Post Reply Post Reply