Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A side track day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A side track day
    Posted: 24 Nov. 2018 at 6:44pm
SO a couple weeks ago I bought a Harbor Freight 8 drawer bottom chest and a 7 Drawer side chest to add to the Craftsman 3 drawer bottom a 3 drawer mid a 4 drawer mid 9 drawer top and 7 drawer top chests.

The idea is to make two stacks

1. HF 8 Drawer, Craftsman 3 drawer mid. Craftsman 9 drawer top chest with the 7 drawer HF side chest hanging off the side. By pulling the shallow Craftsman chests forward I end up with 10" of storage behind the Mid and Top chests so I am going to build a pull out drawer/shelf that I can store things like my file racks (I got a lot of files after being a Custom Knifemaker for 14 years)

2. Craftsman 3 drawer bottom. 4 drawer mid and 7 drawer top With tool box storage below.

And then I am going to rearrange the rest of the tools in my little 8 x 8' tool room Hopefully to gain both some more storage and organization. I want to get this done now as the two new HF boxes are in the way of getting the room I need to start finishing the chassis.

also going to add a pair of the HF LED shop lights and maybe an outlet. I also have another big vise I can add to the little 4ft work bench in the tool room. Get that off the floor so I quit tripping over it.

With any luck by tomorrow evening I should have a whole new (looking) tool room. With a bunch of new drawers and storage shelves.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2018 at 6:58pm
Always nice getting a bigger tool box to make it easier to find what you need.

I just went from 3 small tool boxes with everything stuffed in them to a cheap walmart  lower roll away that is already stuffed and difficult to find what I need when I need it. ConfusedLOL

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2018 at 1:15am
Well I knew something in my detailed plans wouldn't work out quite the way I was hoping.

The side chest if mounted up high enough to allow my Welding cart to store under it is to high to see into the top 2-3 drawers! even on my tippy toes so thats a bust.

The now main stack is somewhat the same way with the top two rows of drawers a little hard to see into. Guess they end up getting things less used.

I now have a "hole" about 16" wide 16" high and 22" deep I need to figure out what to do with. I am thinking it might be a good place for the plastic tool boxes things like my belt sander came in that I don't use anymore.

I also have to move a shelf that was above my main stack as its now keeping the Top chest lid from opening far enough that it isn't locking the drawers. I can move it up a few inches and still make use of it.

I got stuff strung all over the carport and the shop tomorrows going to be interesting trying to filter everything back into its new home

OH and 4 drawer mid chests and 7 drawer top chest when pretty much full sure seam to weigh alot!

Good grief what have I gotten myself into LOL

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply