Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Willys for my bird dogs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2013 at 11:43pm
just talked to the engine builder a minute ago. The 9-1/4" clutch arrived and the double roller timing chain and gears arrived. The engine components are in the tank. Machining and assembly starts on Monday. He will be send photos as progress happens and I will post some here. 

Tranny rebuilder says that my T90 was 1/2 full of water - moisture running down the shift cane and torn rubber transmission cover are at fault (read MY fault!). So the cluster gear set was toasted. Fortunately we are replacing these anyway with the cluster gear set from a T90C - already on the way...

'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2013 at 4:52am
made a little progress this week. Frame is ready for removal of springs, axles, steering, etc. Tranny and Tcase are finished and ready for pickup and paint.

Was at the engine builder today and can report progress on the rebuild:

The block has been bored (.020 over), decked, and is ready for new valve seats. the engine was sleeved previously and one sleeve was bad. It has been replaced.

Tappets ground and polished, new valves, springs look good and are waiting to be bead blasted.

The new valve seats will be getting a three angle cut and should last nearly indefinitely.

On the cutting machine

Cutting for the new valve seats.

The rest of my parts on the rack.

By next week I should have a completed engine - decked and line bored, new valves and valve seats, heavy duty sprocket and timing chain, new studs and nuts for the head and manifolds, new cam and rod bearings, new pistons and rings, new 9-1/4" clutch and plate, and balanced.

Tub rehab begins next week at the body shop while I work on finishing off the chassis cleaning, straightening, painting, and newly rebuilt steering box and tie rod ends. Steering knuckles to be rebuilt, Locker to be installed, new wheel bearings and seals. Then I'll begin re-assembly. Getting excited and plan to have this done by spring.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2013 at 8:06pm
I picked up my steering box from Jeep Roger - he did a beautiful job of rebuilding it and fitted a TightSteer tensioner. I also picked up the transmission and Tcase from the rebuilder - it's ready for paint. The frame is awaiting some welding and cutting and the axles have some work (including a Lock Right locker) to be done. 

Spoke to the engine builder and he will have the long block ready at the end of this week! Movin' along.

I'll post pictures when I am a little further along.

Edited by Mike S - 03 Sep. 2013 at 8:25pm
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2013 at 10:00pm
Despite my being busy bird hunting in Montana (I am heading back at the end of this week), the CJ is ready to re-assemble...

The chassis has been stripped, repaired, re-painted and is ready for assembly.

Tranny done, engine now done and I will pick up this week

Axles have been rebuilt, locker installed, knuckles have been rebuilt.

Have new springs, U bolts, shackles, bushings and seals.

I should have a rolling (and running) chassis by mid-November.

Yeah!

'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2013 at 10:54pm
Soooo... a bit of progress to report...

DONE

Total disassembly and inspection

Tranny & Tcase rebuild (conversion to T90C with new gears) 

E-Brake rebuild 

Axles (front and rear) convert to FF with D44 compatible flanges (Warn kit) add Lock Right locker, new bearings/rebuilt steering knuckles, serviced Warn internal hubs on both axles

Brakes – turned drums 

New Springs, shackles, pins, bushings, spring plates and U bolts (Rancho 1/2”) - Beginning install

Steering box and column rebuilt awaiting install

Carb Rebuilt and on engine

Engine - blue printed and balanced with high compression head,  (all new parts and HD timing chain), assembled long block, painted and DONE!

Clutch – converted to 9.25” HD, resurfaced, balanced & re-drilled fly wheel (done with engine rebuild)

Frame repair and paint – Done

IN PROCESS

Rear floor with channel Repop Parts in - waiting to be done

New tub – at the shop

Hood, fenders, inner and outer windshield – ready for paint

Seat frames – ready for final paint

Small body parts – ready for paint

New Wiring Harness – Parts in, awaiting install at final assemby

New tie rod ends from Herm – parts in, waiting to be installed

TO BE DONE

Body work on tub

Body paint

Brake master cylinder (convert to dual MC)

New SS Brake lines and hoses

Gauge rejuvenation – speedo, ammeter done – rest to be done

Exhaust – aluminized replacement

Radiator – Rod out, test, paint

Fuel Tank – clean and line

New fuel lines and SS flex hoses – Classic Tube

New Prop shafts (chrome moly) and U joints

Edited by Mike S - 18 Nov. 2013 at 10:58pm
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2013 at 7:54pm
Some progress...

I have the rolling chassis complete

I Installed the new Crown Springs with new shackles, bushings, and grease seals, I also upgraded the U bolts from 7/16" to 1/2" (sourced from Rancho). This caused some additional effort - enlarging and relocating the holes in the spring plates, and, since the Crown spring leaves were not perfectly aligned, I had to grind the sides of the springs in the mounting area to make them flat. Took off between 1/16" and 1/8" of some of the leaves that protruded to the side. Took about a day or so to get everything fitting and lined up. So this is done, and I will re-torque the U bolt nuts after the engine is installed and the springs are fully loaded. No real difficulty, just minor adjustments to get every thing fitting up.

I have the steering (with new TREs) ready to go in, but am waiting on some jam nuts for the TRES.

When the steering is in, I'll get busy on a new dual MC, lines, and wheel cylinders for the brakes.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2013 at 9:30pm
Make sure to put some anti-sieze on those tie rod end threads. I made the mistake of threading together bare metal, and now the drivers side tie rod cannot be turned at this time for re-adjustment and alignment of toe-in.
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1950 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe
1984 Honda VF750F
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2013 at 9:52pm
After taking this old Willys apart, I am being VERY careful to put anti-sieze on all threads. Advice appreciated.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2014 at 1:42am
I got the engine assembled last week and am just waiting on a fuel filter from Scoutpilot, a fan belt, and the rebuilt water pump. 

I did notice after assembly that one clutch finger is slightly below the others - about 1/64" or so. Should I tear it all apart and work on some kind of adjustment to the clutch fingers? I expect it will be easier to do now than after the engine is mounted in the chassis.

Starting on finishing the tub and hope that goes according to plan.

Edited by Mike S - 23 Jan. 2014 at 2:29am
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2014 at 2:27am
I would be concerned with the fingers not being all the same. It prob wont matter when fully engaged and fully released, but would seem to me that in between one part of the clutch will be engaging before the rest. Your rebuild looks fantastic. This will be one fantastic machine when your done. Thanks for sharing.
So many projects and so little time.
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2014 at 2:46am
How are the Bird dogs?  Jeep looks great!
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2014 at 3:43am
The dogs are good. One is in the Tallahassee area with my trainer, the others are here at home and getting ready for a trip to Arizona for quail hunting.

Thanks for the kudos on the Willys... I have been plugging away at it.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Carsandguns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carsandguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2014 at 3:51am
Looking great!
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2014 at 6:02am
At this point I think I better pull the transmission and run some tests on the clutch finger positioning and check the height from the flywheel face... I read that it should be 1-15/16" can I just measure from the clutch disc, or do I need to pull the clutch entirely apart?Cry
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2014 at 3:17pm

It sounds like you might have a discrepancy in the thickness of your clutch plate...If disassembly and checking things out doesn't result in any discoveries, try an old disc in there...that has already been worn down some. If the fingers are all flat with that it is your new disc. It is possible that the disc will wear in fine and the fingers will level out but to make sure that is all your are experiencing you will have to take things apart.

You did have the flywheel resurfaced and are using a rebuilt or new pressure plate, right?

If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2014 at 3:30pm
Engine and transmission look great!  Hope you get the clutch issue resolved!
2a #40500
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2014 at 3:56pm
Fly wheel is resurfaced and I used new grade 8 bolts and lock washers torqued to spec. 

Double checked the clutch fingers with a feeler gauge through the service opening. The three clutch fingers appear to be out of adjustment - with one in contact, the other two are clear of the TO bearing surface by .025" and .047". I understand the spec is .01" maximum.

'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
GeoJeepers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoJeepers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2014 at 5:03pm
i thought the frame looked beautiful before you ever started on it....  wish mine looked like that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>