Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AA Intermediate Shaft

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2020 at 3:04pm
Have any of you guys ever had experience with a New Process Gear model 205 transfer case? (Ford, 1973-79, Chevy mid 60's-81, Dodge mid 60's-80)

It has tapered roller bearings on the intermediate gear.

It has been 25 years since I did repair work on this model of transfer case but as I recall there wasn't a thrust washer used in this gear box design. Maybe the same principles don't apply to the AA box. I am not familiar with the design.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 26 Aug. 2020 at 3:06pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2020 at 5:05pm
Here are a few pictures of the gears.

As a refresher, here's a picture of the kit. The distance between the back of the gear and the back of the case is fixed by the shaft. The front gap is the variable one that's set by the the collar that slides over the front of the shaft and is tightened by the nut on the front of the case.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2020 at 6:15pm

How much bigger is the flange if the inner bearing over the bushing?

Normally the thrust is forward here which would pull on the shaft and back of the case even though the front of the case is stronger. If there was a thrust washer in here that is the same thickness of the gap between the case and the race, both the front and the rear would be resisting the forward thrust.

.... not saying it’s necessary. I’m just talking.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Slowtwitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowtwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 3:55pm
I am getting ready to install this kit.

Any pearls of wisdom on bearing setup/adjustment? The directions provided by AA are pretty vague. What has worked for guys long term?
Slowtwitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowtwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 2:23pm
Alright, the crickets have spoken.

I got this from Herm.. after reading the instructions, I summarily tossed them in the bin. I also dispensed with the castle nut and two thinner jamb nuts and bought a thin nyloc nut to sneak up on the adjustment. I put a couple dots of threadlocker on the outter lip for added lock and also as witness marks to make note of any nut movement.

Seems like a really nice upgrade.. too bad it will be difficult to discern any difference in noise, etc as we are changing a number of things simultaneously.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12