Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ACM number punch maker?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ACM number punch maker?
    Posted: 08 May 2020 at 4:16pm
Here's an oddly specific one. 

I'm looking for a set of vintage metal punches to stamp some of my woodworking as I start doing more hobby stuff during this pandemic. I've been looking for a set of number punches for awhile and they're easy to find on ebay, but I really like the font that ACM used on the Bantam trailers. It's a bit more fancy looking than some of the others of the time, like Millers Falls, Young Brothers, etc. Anyone recognize the font and know what they were?
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 10:02pm
For reference, I may have answered my own question. The font appears to be used on number punches made by Mercury Marking Devices. (This company is still around today, it seems.)

Here's a random ebay image for a vintage marking set (smaller, and meant to punch from the back of a panel rather than the front? If you stamped something with this set, the numbers would appear backwards.) This is the only example I've seen with the number 2 stylized like that. 

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:15am
I haven't seen an ACM up close except for the images here and over on g503. 

I don't know how close they are to the engine number font but I'd read a post on some other 4WD forum from a guy re-doing  his numbers.  They looked close enough to what I had seen so I used these:

http://www.columbiamt.com/store/Machine_Made_Hand_Stamps31.html

I got a number set and a "J"

They make different sizes.  Just another option in your search.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply