Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Added a tool today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Added a tool today
    Posted: 22 Jan. 2021 at 1:37am
So the other day I was cruising through eBays section of Craftsman tools and I see one of the little thumb drive 72 tooth 1/4" ratchets with the Snap on like handle. Always wanted one of these from some stupid reason. So I started looking at the various offerings and how much shipping was on some of them. I settled on a likely candidate and fired my Paypal right at it. It showed up today a little bit scruffy so it fits right in my all my other Craftsman ratchets (I got a bunch) not a big addition to the shop but one I'll use.

I like buying tools. The other day for being a good husband and getting the wifes rain canopy setup she talked me into buying (it covers her car) I treated myself with a brand new 7 3/4" version of Knipex's End cutters. They look so nice in the drawer next to my 9" Dikes and my HD cable cutters also from Knipex. I was going to move the old ones off to my Tool dungeon (one of my first tool boxes full of stuff I rarely ever touch) then I noticed it was Made in USA Channel lock so I gave the handles a good cleaning and made room for them in the drawer as well.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2021 at 3:07pm
Those have been used and well respected in the airline industry for decades. A 72 pawl or tooth 1/4 drive ratchet has saved my butt many times when the component was in a tight area and had little room for removing attaching bolts or the swing of a rachet.  The knipex pliers, side cutters, adjustable wrench, and compound cutters are great for work on play. They are the best for cutting off large hooks in a toothy critters mouth while he tries to get away. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2021 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

Those have been used and well respected in the airline industry for decades. A 72 pawl or tooth 1/4 drive ratchet has saved my butt many times when the component was in a tight area and had little room for removing attaching bolts or the swing of a rachet.  The knipex pliers, side cutters, adjustable wrench, and compound cutters are great for work on play. They are the best for cutting off large hooks in a toothy critters mouth while he tries to get away. 

Bolding mine.

I agree with this whole post, especially the bold part. Swivel extensions are also life savers.
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2021 at 11:21pm
I agree, but you need a 1/2" drive 6 point 11/16 swivel socket to remove the head bolts on a CJ2/3A L134 on the studs closest to the firewall if you don't want to remove the heater valve...

I at least one in every toolbox...
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2021 at 1:37am
Joe can't you remove those nuts with an open end or combination wrench?

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2021 at 3:37am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Joe can't you remove those nuts with an open end or combination wrench?

Sure, if you want to take off the water outlet and carburetor.
Besides, when you go to reinstall, you need a socket to torque them.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2021 at 6:36am
good pount
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply