Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

After Market Tail Lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: After Market Tail Lights
    Posted: 05 Sep. 2020 at 8:12am
Before I go ahead and guess and then find out I'm wrong...

I just mounted "new" 6v aftermarket tail lights on my 2A.  I'm also installing a Walcks wiring harness.  My tail light harness has yellow and red wires with bullet tips that I'm going to have to splice into the lights...but the new tail lights have a red and black wire each.

Which wire combination is for normal tail lights, and which is for brake light?
1948 Willys CJ2A (restoration in progress)
1952 Ford 8N tractor restored
1997 Jeep TJ 265,000 miles, DD and mudder...I like to live dangerously.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2020 at 2:16pm
Put power to the wires one at a time while grounding the housing....the brighter one is the brake light.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2020 at 3:36pm
Red to red.  Yellow to black.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2020 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

You sure are confident in your statement. Are you positive that’s the proper way the wires should be connected 
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2020 at 6:45pm
Just do temporary splice with wires as athawk said.  If wrong, switch em. 50-50 chance.  Once you think they’re right, make the splice permanent
Mike in AZ
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2020 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Grumpy1 Grumpy1 wrote:

Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

You sure are confident in your statement. Are you positive that’s the proper way the wires should be connected 

I was sure until you seeded some doubt. So I snapped a photo of my Walck's aftermarket tail lamps and harness connection...

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2020 at 3:49pm
OMG! - Tim, do I see a flat washer out of place on your Jeep?
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2020 at 4:25pm
JEEP POLICE ! 
Pull over so we can we write you up !

Your ticket stipulates .......

Extra flat washer noted under the #6 right rear body mount location.

Flat washer missing from the after market right rear taillight mounting stud.

JEEP COURT case #00001
You now have two strikes against your jeep.
How do you plead ?

And: Detective Joe Friday you are inline for a promotion

Edited by oldtime - 06 Sep. 2020 at 4:36pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2020 at 11:37pm
You've gone and stepped in it now, Tim...  Big smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2020 at 12:15am
  I move that the charge of "Flat washer missing from the after market right rear taillight mounting stud." be dropped. There is a star washer in that location to enhance grounding. Respectfully Submitted. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2020 at 12:20am
Court Date has been set for 8 AM Monday September 20th at the Thirsty Dirt Ranch.
A summons has been issued.

You will be Judged by a Jury of your Peers. ALL WEEK LONG.
JayBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2020 at 3:44am
Wow, so very sorry I asked.  Didn't want to get anyone in trouble...lol.

Note to self:  Never post my hardware pics...lol.  Wink

Thanks for the replies!

Jay
1948 Willys CJ2A (restoration in progress)
1952 Ford 8N tractor restored
1997 Jeep TJ 265,000 miles, DD and mudder...I like to live dangerously.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2020 at 4:56am
There must have been some digital photo shadow feature turned on or something.  Checked the Jeep for the rogue washer.  It wasn't there.

While trying to stay true to the original tail lamp placement, I ended up with no room for a flat washer. I like to use flat washers, but I don't believe they were originally used in this location.

This will be my defense at said court date.  I will plead for leniency.  

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2020 at 1:09pm
Tim, are those water spots I see around the tail light screws? That Willys is way too clean I can't tell what color mine is on the underside, too much cow poo and mud. Guess you could call it a sh*tty yellow. Sorry I got you in trouble with the jeep police
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2020 at 2:19pm

JEEP CIRCUIT COURT

International Willys Law section 15-09B stipulates use of one 1/4” “shake proof “ lockwasher per stud.
Due to statute violation error on officer oldtimes initial ticket , I now suspend and drop all charges.

A word of warning:
Technically your Jeep still remains in violation of statute 15-09B. And as indicated by detective Friday you feasibly could be re-issued a ticket at any time.

Tim athawk11, You pay no court costs and are free to go.

Edited by oldtime - 07 Sep. 2020 at 3:14pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2020 at 4:29pm
Wow, I bet the use of reproduction "A Model" Ford LED taillights would get me in trouble were I anywhere near your jurisdiction, but just having working taillights on an old vehicle is probably a surprise to the law around here. 

The underneath of my CJ is rust brown, and you can hardly see whether there are even any washers left under all the crud and crumble let alone see whether they meet code. I am afraid to try washing it underneath as the rust is structural at this point.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply