Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

aftermarket roll bar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: aftermarket roll bar
    Posted: 22 Dec. 2018 at 12:50pm
When I purchased my 2A(Ratdog) many moons ago, It came with an aftermarket roll bar. I would like to mount it since I already own it and it will make my family safer. My concern is when I get to affording a canvas or hard top will these tops fit on/in my bed section of the jeep?

Do I need to leave gaps? I assume the tops would not protrude inside due to rain runoff(?)

If I go with a half top, and that is my intention, what is the stop point for the back drop/wall of the half top?

Also, did "Billy the Butcher" put blinkers on my flat fenders prior to my ownership? I see no signs of old wiring or column controls for the same. I do not see blinkers of the maintenance or parts manuals as "stock" items.

Thank you for your input and guidance. Always great to get the "how to's" before I get the tools out.

Merry Christmas to all of you, everywhere!!! You all provide gifts to this forum every day!

Jerry
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2018 at 1:52pm
The canvas half top will hang from the middle bow and slightly slope downward to the tiedown loops in the floor.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2018 at 9:41pm
"Billy the Butcher" a.k.a. Bubba...  Plenty of his handiwork on most flatfenders.  There were never turn signals on any flattie from the factory.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2018 at 2:46am
That looks like a stock Jeep roll bar from the early 70's. It's what I have on mine. I made a frame for my summer top so I can't say for 100%, but the stock soft top frame should fit outside of the roll bar. That roll bar will not work with the 1/2 top without some modification of the soft top. Also, the soft top frames will sit a little higher than the roll bar.
I take my roll bar in and out fairly easily - put a good ratchet strap down low around the uprights and it tighten up until the bar flexes a little and then lift it right out. Also, I would suggest putting some plates under the inner fender (and NOT the exact same size as the roll bar base plate) for better tear-through protection should the unthinkable happen. I welded some nuts to the bottom of my inner plate to make it a lot easier to line everything up at once.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2018 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

"Billy the Butcher" a.k.a. Bubba...  Plenty of his handiwork on most flatfenders.  There were never turn signals on any flattie from the factory.

That's not entirely true. Later 3Bs and DJ3As had them. The later 50s (think 1958) cars and trucks were required to have turn signals. 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2018 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Joe DeYoung Joe DeYoung wrote:

That's not entirely true. Later 3Bs and DJ3As had them. The later 50s (think 1958) cars and trucks were required to have turn signals. 

But they weren't mounted atop the fenders.  I shoulda stated it that way.  Embarrassed
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2019 at 6:53am
Not originally,  But tons of them seam to have been retrofitted (probably in the 50's) I'm guessing at the dealership with added turn singles on the fenders. I've seen the same mounts and lights on lots of them and they've been on there a long time.

'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2019 at 3:16pm
Depending on which park light you have they can be converted to turn signals. Speedway motors has a bulb the size of a number 53 that has the dual elements. You just need to go to NAPA or some auto parts store and get a pair of dual contact sockets and use them to modify your original park lights.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply