Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Again with the oil pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Again with the oil pressure
    Posted: 19 Sep. 2018 at 8:30pm
I'd like to start this off by apologizing for having to bring this up again but I'm in need of some more direction.

My last oil pressure issue seemed to have been solved when I found the gear oiler hole had not been plugged. After plugging it my oil pressure came up to somewhere around 20lbs at idle. Since then I've installed a new oil pressure gauge line and gauge as well as a filter housing, filter and new oil lines. After doing this I found my oil pressure had dropped to near nothing at idle and maybe 15-18lbs at a much higher RPM. Does not seem to make a difference whether the engine is hot or cold, I did read in a couple of places that oil pressure loss with a warm engine seems to indicate worn bearings.

I have verified the lower pressure reading with a second pressure gauge. I am currently running 10W-30 with zinc additive, and the oil does not have any smell of gas. I have cracked the supply line to the gauge in the off chance there was an air pocket. As well as ran it without a gauge and its pushing oil. It is full of oil, the same oil that showed 20psi previously.

The engine runs pretty quiet with no knocking as far as I can tell. One thing that is an issue is the rear main seal is leaking pretty good, which I plan on replacing at some point soon. Unfortunately I do not have any other chain drive oil pumps to verify if the pump is shot or not, a few gear drive pumps but not chain drives. Although I don't think that it is the pump.

I feel like (hope) I've done enough troubleshooting and research to merit asking the group for help. The mind boggling part is that I had such high oil pressure before I put the filter and new gauge on and now its crap, one thing I have yet to do is to block the filter line off to see if that makes a difference. Anyhow maybe you guys can tell me what Ive missed. Thanks, Jess
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2018 at 10:01pm
Good luck with it. We did the rear seal 4 times on the 134. That's why my MB ended up with a V6. The opinions of people vary as to rope seals and neoprene seals.
uncamonkey
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2018 at 10:56pm
I have never replaced a rear main seal on a jeep but have on other vehicles. I think the most important area is the boss where the seal rides on the crank. Make sure its clean and not pitted or has a groove. Also if using a two piece lip seal stagger the seam on it. The rope seal I have read you should torque it then rotate the crank to make sure it doesnt bind in any spot, kind lime a main bearing. Also make sure you lube up the seal good so it doesnt rip on start up.
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 1:14am
Pretty sure the factory spec was straight 30 wt.
The 10-30 could be a bit thin for it.
Have you ever checked bearing clearance?
1946 CJ2A 14098
alaskanrocket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 1:40am
I have not check bearing clearances, short of feeling for movement when I had the oil pan off last month. Supposedly the motor was rebuilt and never run but sat for a lot of years. I only pulled the head and the top end did not have any wear or signs of carbon, evident by the brand new valves that had been installed. Although I did not have the mind to check bearings while I had it out, in hindsight I wished I would have tore the motor down. Live and Learn I guess.

I did think about changing oil to a straight 30 and probably will at some point in the very near future. This will be the third oil change in less than an hour of running. She should be clean at least!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 3:23am
update, I plugged off the filter line and now I’m seein. 10psi at idle and close to 30psi at ~2000rpm. Not sure what to do now?
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 3:41am
Check the orifice size in the filter housing.   I think it should be around .040.
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 4:43am
Originally posted by alaskanrocket alaskanrocket wrote:

update, I plugged off the filter line and now I’m seein. 10psi at idle and close to 30psi at ~2000rpm. Not sure what to do now?

Some people consider that you should have 10 lbs of oil pressure for every 1000 RPM. WTH, my 225 puts out 60 lbs at a cold idle and it stays there. I have done some work on it. It's better than when I could blow an oil filter off of my old Jeep.
uncamonkey
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 4:59am
Those pressures are a bit low for a rebuild, but just fine for a mid-time engine.

How accurate is your gauge? Just because it is new does not mean it is good. ADA-OMIX anyone? For a quick test put the old one back in, or better yet put in a tee & run it with both of them. (Otherwise you could be mixing apples & oranges). If they agree, your new one at least matches the old one. If they don't, that could be your problem.

Check that you have an orifice of the proper diameter either in the filter stand pipe, or in the timing case elbow. I once found a Willys with two orifices one in each placement. It had good oil pressure & the timing gears were getting lubed, so I left them both in place. IIRC, The diameter should be 0.040, but I could be wrong, so check on it.

Remember that the return oil from the filter lubes the timing chain/gears, so do not run the engine for a long time without the oil filter on line. If you do, you may be doing the bottom end sooner than you want to.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 5:09am
Uncamonkey, the 10 PSI for each 1,000 RPM is a rule of thumb for "vintage" engines, like the L-134, which was designed in the 1920s, or was it the early 1930s? Unlike the Buick V-6s of the mid 1960s & 1970s, they are a different beast.

How cold was the Jeep when you blew the filter off, -20 F?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Those pressures are a bit low for a rebuild, but just fine for a mid-time engine.

How accurate is your gauge? Just because it is new does not mean it is good. ADA-OMIX anyone? For a quick test put the old one back in, or better yet put in a tee & run it with both of them. (Otherwise you could be mixing apples & oranges). If they agree, your new one at least matches the old one. If they don't, that could be your problem.

Check that you have an orifice of the proper diameter either in the filter stand pipe, or in the timing case elbow. I once found a Willys with two orifices one in each placement. It had good oil pressure & the timing gears were getting lubed, so I left them both in place. IIRC, The diameter should be 0.040, but I could be wrong, so check on it.

Remember that the return oil from the filter lubes the timing chain/gears, so do not run the engine for a long time without the oil filter on line. If you do, you may be doing the bottom end sooner than you want to.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

I did check with a second gauge and its showing the same. I think what I'm going to do is fab a orifice plate to put in line on the inlet filter line with a .040 hole, this will get me oil to the filter, to the chain and then create some back pressure.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Uncamonkey, the 10 PSI for each 1,000 RPM is a rule of thumb for "vintage" engines, like the L-134, which was designed in the 1920s, or was it the early 1930s? Unlike the Buick V-6s of the mid 1960s & 1970s, they are a different beast.

How cold was the Jeep when you blew the filter off, -20 F?

Actually it was warmer than that but the old guy I worked for told me how to fix it. (A grove along the side of the relief plunger) I never blew a filter again. As I have said, I used to deal with antiques and they were dippers on the connecting rods and around 15 PSI to the crank.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2018 at 9:30pm
I pulled the Oil filter housing out and checked the orifice hole. I didn't measure the hole but its looked to be the correct size. I have a second filter housing that is much smaller and I might try it but common sense tells me it likely won't make a difference. This weekend I plan to replace the oil with 30w and do some testing.
I'm really leaning towards a worn oil pump, it would make sense that if the lobes are worn that it wouldn't be able to build the head pressure needed to overcome the loss that goes into the filter system. Thanks again for the help, I'll report back my findings
 Post Reply Post Reply