Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

air breather bottom tray

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: air breather bottom tray
    Posted: 01 Apr. 2019 at 7:54pm
I recently put the fluids in my jeep for first start up attempt. I experiencing electrical issuesDisapprove. however, when I came out to my garage last week, I saw a fresh puddle of clean oil on the garage floor, passenger side at the firewall area. I removed the pan/tray under my air breather to investigate. The tray was no longer filled to the limit line. I held the tray up toward the sun and saw several pin holes in the bottom of the tray (in the rusted area's).

Would anyone have a spare bottom pan/tray to replace my eroded tray for my air breather?
I am working on a '47 2A. Don't know if this is OE. 

Is this something that a person with welding skills can repair? Or, just get a new one? seems like it would be cost effective to purchase a replacement rather than hiring a welder.

Thank you,

Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2019 at 8:07pm
I believe some members have had success using JB weld for this issue.... (Cheap and easy) Just a thought.
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2019 at 8:19pm
I had one that had a sheet metal disc cut to size soldered to the bottom (outside) of the tray.
It didn't leak, so all was good.
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 12:06pm

2X on JB Weld.

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

GloucesterBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 12:43pm
Okay. I think I will try the easy way out first. Never used JB Weld before, will give it go on this repair. Thank you for your input.
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by mullen46cj2a mullen46cj2a wrote:

I had one that had a sheet metal disc cut to size soldered to the bottom (outside) of the tray.
It didn't leak, so all was good.

This is the method I'm going to try - both patches and straight solder in the small holes.

Nothing against JB Weld (I've used it often), I do think it would work almost instantly.  I just don't know how long it will hold up. 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 3:58am
Ditto what others have said. I just J.B. welded mine the other day.
 Post Reply Post Reply