Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alcan Leaf Springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alcan Leaf Springs
    Posted: 09 July 2022 at 7:13am
I saw an ad for a Jeep with Alcan springs with Orbit Eyes and then found their website. I'll bet they work well.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
copicmarker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copicmarker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2022 at 10:08am
Cool stuff, thank you for the info.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2022 at 11:38am
I spoke to Lew at Alcan about his springs for my 2A.  The orbit eye is not an option for these 1.75" wide springs.  He uses American steel from an American foundry and customs makes these spring packs to order.  He quoted me $700+ for the front leaf springs and $800+ for the rear springs which would accommodate the additional weight of my swing-away bumper, spare tire, spare parts, tools, fluids, cage, etc.  He proposed 7 leaves in the rear and 6 in the front (because it was stock load capacity, no winch or motor swap mods).  Lead time is 7-8 weeks as of July 2022.  Shipping is extra.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2022 at 12:35pm
Rick, how did you go about weighing the Jeep ?
Total weight ? 
Sprung weight ? 
Unsprung weight ? 
Front vs rear ?

Edited by oldtime - 11 July 2022 at 12:37pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2022 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Rick, how did you go about weighing the Jeep ?
Total weight ? 
Sprung weight ? 
Unsprung weight ? 
Front vs rear ?

That's a good question, Ken.  Lew prefers to know the weight of your jeep, especially split between front and rear axles.  I did not weigh my jeep, but we did guesstimate weights fore & aft.  Lew has lots of OEM weight data for all kinds of vehicles.  My unsprung weight should only be the difference in my aftermarket tires compared to original because I'm running stock axles.  Lew didn't ask for this info, but I did tell him all the drivetrain was stock.  I asked about making a little longer spring and increasing shackle angle, but he advised against it.  Said you'll invert your shackles (which I've seen happen several times to different members here on the page), so I nixed that idea.    He did ask if I had SOA or SUA.  I have the latter.  Based upon my tire size (34") he suggested no more than 3" of lift, which I agree.  Any more than that is too much for these narrow, short wheelbase jeeps, in my opinion.  They feel "tippy" even with a couple inches of lift in off-camber situations.

Because I don't have a winch or huge aftermarket bumper or a heavier non-original motor, the front spring rate was estimated to be "stock".  I estimated weights for my swing-away tire carrier with spare, my surplus of spare parts, tools, fluids, complete roll cage, etc. to add to the rear OEM spring rate, thus it has one additional leaf.  As to your question, the best way would be to find some portable scales (e.g. DOT or State Highway Patrol scales) and get a weight at each tire.  I suspect that a precise guesstimate would be close enough to spec a set of springs, however.  

I would calculate (or weigh) the weight of all your add-ons and then assign or bias them to the appropriate axle and give that info to the spring maker.  As for me, I may hold off having a set of these made until next season.  They aren't cheap, but then again, they are made in America, and I like that.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2022 at 5:29pm
About 25 Years back I used Alcan to help come up with a very progressive 3" spring lift for Commandos. yes it took a lot a trail time to get the springs dialed in but they stuck with me and we ended up with a great spring pack for commandos.  Ended up with specs for a 4" rear lift and 3" front lift.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2022 at 10:16am
Getting accurate weight measurements ( sprung weight, not just corner weight ) should be a mandatory part of any custom spring project.
42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2022 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

Getting accurate weight measurements ( sprung weight, not just corner weight ) should be a mandatory part of any custom spring project.

X3  add camp gear, gas, water, ETC.  Nothing worse than underrated springs.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2022 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

Yep and a set of wheel scales comes in handy for weighing all sorts of stuff.  This was my 441 plus a couple of 4x blocks and a sheet of plywood (4 lbs worth of wood).
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2022 at 10:38am
Another vote for Alcan, I have a pair of custom leaf packs on the rear of my Nissan trail rig that I put on there 19 years ago, they still ride great and maintain their arch.  When I rebuilt the truck and did an axle swap with portals quite a few years ago I shipped them back for new bushings, keepers, and anti friction pads and they came back looking brand new.  Top notch products that are worth the wait and cost.  Do get your actual axle weights as I think that is key to getting exactly what you want and being completely satisfied.

Edited by OnlyOneDR - 06 Aug. 2022 at 10:39am
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
EJOWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJOWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2022 at 11:51am
I have Alcan Springs on my CJ2a Two Step and they were great.
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 4:34pm
Those springs look like just the ticket for hard core off road. By Rick's quote it sounds like a guy could end up with about $1700.00 or so by the time you buy everything to get them on the Jeep. Worth it probably for the Rubicon.

I pretty well stick to the sissy trails myself. I've been looking at Generalspringkc.com sets. Looks like I can get them on all four corners for about $700.00 or so. 

Anyone used them before?

James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
 Post Reply Post Reply