Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Almost cried.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Almost cried.....
    Posted: 29 May 2018 at 8:51pm
We were down on the Coast this weekend working on the house. Drive in to Rockport and spied a jeep peaking out from under a tarp at the local "used antiques " yard. Decided to take a look as Jen rolled her eyes... 😉. Turned out to be a GPW with a 2a grill. Dash gutted, glove box door and data plates gone. The tub was non existent once you were Col. We enough to see over the side of the body. 3 combat rims. One 2a rim. Didn't have the heart to try and open the hood. The rust was so bad I can't imagine anything would still be in working condition. No one was in the office.So we just drove away....i could still hear it whimpering for me not to go...😢
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 1:34am
That reminds me of the jeep that used to be at the Crazy Horse monument in '77.  It looked like what's-his-name the sculptor tossed it off the side of the mountain and then hauled it to the visitor center. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 7:35pm
I was at Crazy Horse around '77. My Dad dragged us out there while on vacation. I don't remember the Jeep, but I have pics of us there and relived it with my wife and son in 2009. what a change since the 70's. Amazing to think that it will be another 50 years before it's finished. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 3:40am
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

Amazing to think that it will be another 50 years before it's finished. 

That's almost as bad as the cathedrals in Europe that took multiple centuries to build. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 4:40am
Crazy Horse has been underway for 70 years already.  I know this will cost lots of money...and they don't accept federal funds for carving CH.  That said, I still blame the likes of burdensome governmental controls for how long it's taken. I.e. OSHA, etc...

In comparison, it took up to 400 men about 12-14 years to build Mt Rushmore...with zero fatalities...while using archaic equipment.  They did get to use dynamite though.Wink
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 10:51pm
athawk11 said: " They did get to use dynamite though.Wink"  

And I'll be that they enjoyed every bit of it! Big smile  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply