Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alternators

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kjc1948 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternators
    Posted: 15 Sep. 2022 at 8:13pm
Hello flat-fender lovers,

I’ve recently come into possession of a ‘48 that looks to be 20 yrs past a complete ovhaul, with what looks to be a 3- wire early Chrysler alternator …. The problem here is old wiring that needs replacement 

Can someone kindly point the way to an easy to follow wiring guide? Nothing fancy or intricate here.
Simply need lights, intument panel and alternator to all work and try as I might I have not come across 
A simple “ mullet-proof “ wiring diagram. Thanks for any and all help and direction…

Kenny C …. Tenn.
Kenny C
Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2022 at 8:16pm
Google search cj2a wiring diagram. I got several that way, generator and alternator diagrams. You will get some from this site and some from others. 
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2022 at 9:32pm
This is the plan I worked up for my 47. I’m using a starter solenoid on the fender - you starting circuit may be different, but not hard to adjust. I believe the alt is an older Ford application running about 60 amps. I have not installed a heater. Wire gauge may be heavier than needed for 12v. 

kjc1948 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kjc1948 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2022 at 10:35pm
Easy to follow…? Hmmmmmm….. this is gonna take some study. LOL!  Thank you…… KC
Kenny C
Willy Nilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy Nilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2023 at 7:33pm
If you want simplicity, get a Declo single wire alternator.  My jeep came with I think a two (maybe three?) wire Delco that eventually quit working many years ago.  I took it to an auto electric shop for a rebuild and they asked me if I wanted them to convert it to a single wire.  I said sure, of course.  It works perfect.

Edited by Willy Nilly - 29 Jan. 2023 at 7:36pm
1946 Willys CJ2A military clone
kjc1948 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kjc1948 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2023 at 7:50pm
Thanks Willy Nilly!!!

Took your advice, bought the one wire alt and this rascal actually charges while idling… finally, a hot battery every time we start!!

Capt Kenny
Tenn.
Kenny C
 Post Reply Post Reply