Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AM/FM Radio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AM/FM Radio
    Posted: 07 Oct. 2019 at 6:50pm
I know there are some here that know a lot more about radio than I do, so I thought I'd ask;

In my shop, I have an old AM/FM/8-track/turntable stereo from probably the '70s. I don't recall the brand name right now, but it was a good one back then. The problem is, it doesn't pick up a signal very well at all. I might be able to pick up my favorite station in AM or FM, and I might not. If I do get it, it may go away after a while. I think the problem is, what I have here is a pole-barn type building with a steel shell. I do have an external antenna connected, but it is just a piece of flat, two-conductor wire similar to the old TV lead-in that splits like a "T" and is fastened to one of the roof trusses. It is still inside the building. If I open one of the overhead doors (on the South side, toward most of the stations) sometimes it helps, but if I open the other one, it hurts!
  At the same time, I have a small portable radio from the same time period, with a 16-18" mast antenna, sitting in the East-facing window of my engine assembly room that works very well!
  I'm convinced that I need a better antenna in a better location for the "big" shop radio, but don't know what I need for an antenna or lead-in, or where it needs to go. Would an antenna mounted on the outside of the building, on the North side work, or would I need to mount it on the South side? The radio sits on a shelf on the North side of the shop, and it's 30 feet to the South side. Or would an antenna in the engine room window work, that's only 18-20 feet away?
  Do I need to just bite the bullet and go buy a newer stereo with newer technology, or would I have the same problem?   Embarrassed I have tried three different stereos, all from the '60s/'70s, with the same results. Move the portable to the shop? Naw, I have some decent speakers (yes, from the '70s) on the wall in the shop, and need to hear the Stereo effect when they play Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd, or Jimi Hendrix.   Big smile 
  So, radio geeks, what do you say? Thanks in advance.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2019 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I know there are some here that know a lot more about radio than I do, so I thought I'd ask;

In my shop, I have an old AM/FM/8-track/turntable stereo from probably the '70s. I don't recall the brand name right now, but it was a good one back then. The problem is, it doesn't pick up a signal very well at all. I might be able to pick up my favorite station in AM or FM, and I might not. If I do get it, it may go away after a while. I think the problem is, what I have here is a pole-barn type building with a steel shell. I do have an external antenna connected, but it is just a piece of flat, two-conductor wire similar to the old TV lead-in that splits like a "T" and is fastened to one of the roof trusses. It is still inside the building. If I open one of the overhead doors (on the South side, toward most of the stations) sometimes it helps, but if I open the other one, it hurts!
  At the same time, I have a small portable radio from the same time period, with a 16-18" mast antenna, sitting in the East-facing window of my engine assembly room that works very well!
  I'm convinced that I need a better antenna in a better location for the "big" shop radio, but don't know what I need for an antenna or lead-in, or where it needs to go. Would an antenna mounted on the outside of the building, on the North side work, or would I need to mount it on the South side? The radio sits on a shelf on the North side of the shop, and it's 30 feet to the South side. Or would an antenna in the engine room window work, that's only 18-20 feet away?
  Do I need to just bite the bullet and go buy a newer stereo with newer technology, or would I have the same problem?   Embarrassed I have tried three different stereos, all from the '60s/'70s, with the same results. Move the portable to the shop? Naw, I have some decent speakers (yes, from the '70s) on the wall in the shop, and need to hear the Stereo effect when they play Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd, or Jimi Hendrix.   Big smile 
  So, radio geeks, what do you say? Thanks in advance.   BW

Test it by placing outside the shop....works then?  If so go get a outside antenna and hook it up to your unit. Roof mount would be best.   Was going to say go to radio shack.Unhappy

metal building can raise heck with radios and cell phones.  
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2019 at 3:42pm
I have mine connected to a TV antenna and it works pretty well. One thing I just found out was that these new LED shop lights create a bunch of noise that interferes with my radio. If I could buy them over again, I might look for something with less emissions. Just curious if you tried shutting lights and other EMF emitting devices off in your shop to see if they effect reception. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
 Post Reply Post Reply