Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An optimist after all

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An optimist after all
    Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 2:55pm
After all these years I have realized I really am an optomist. I bought a transmission jack the day I turned 65.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Moonrunner Moonrunner wrote:

After all these years I have realized I really am an optomist. I bought a transmission jack the day I turned 65.

I don't know if you are an optimist or a realist. Those things are heavy.
uncamonkey
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 5:42pm
Moonrunner
I'm not far behind you (63), and bought my first trans jack last year.  Did my first trans / TC rebuild last winter.  Helping a buddy reseal his currently (trans jack job #2) & planning another (or two) this winter. 
Can't let heart attacks, bypass surgeries or strokes get in the way of wrench'n on and driving flat fenders.  As long as the Jeep is as old as you are (ok, do have a '75 also).
"keep on trucking"...

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 6:09pm
I am 63 as well (B day is 05/05/1955). I bought a motorcycle jack years ago when I had a Harley. The bikes have been gone for years and I have not seen that jack for years. The neighbors kid has it. You can do a F350 transmission and transfer case with a motorcycle jack and a floor jack. Mike had to do it 3 times. His son would never 'fess up to how he destroyed the clutch.
uncamonkey
Moonrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2018 at 3:26am
That jack IS heavy!  It said 800 lbs somewhere on the box. I thought that was the capacity...maybe it's the actual weight of the jack!  

I thought when I retired a few years ago I would going to 'wind down' on the automotive projects.  So much for that idea..... had to have just 'one more' Jeep, sort of a 'bucket list' Willys. I have been without a CJ2a since 1990 and the time had come. I brought home a sweetie (project) a few weeks ago while my wife was off visiting grandkids in another state. I smoothed it over by adding weathered 'military type' stenciled numbers on the hood that matched our wedding anniversary date. She didn't notice...but she loved the little addition anyway.
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 2:04am
I am 66 and have a 4 post lift. Love it!

1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
 Post Reply Post Reply